testtest

Springfield Prodigy Questions

I have the new Prodigy DS on layaway while I scope out the reviews and forums... I've seen a lot of issues. Even the model I laid away had a bit of hang up on the disconnector and some tightness in the slide but I thought maybe it needed to be broken in when I finally got it. Is it even worth it to pull the trigger on the purchase? I'm thinking about just waiting to get a Bul Armory or Masterpiece arms 2011 instead.

Greetings from Pennsylvania...As far as "pulling the trigger" on a purchase ? only you can decide that but I will say it's good that your checking the reviews out ahead of time on it. In my experience 1911 style weapons DO need what's called a break in at least in the ones I bought and own. But here on this forum you'll find some very very knowledgeable people all of course with different experiences. I know I have learned soo much from being a member here myself. Anyways GOOD LUCK with it and again Welcome from Pennsylvania....

My 4.25" Prodigy worked great right out of the box. I've only put 50 rounds through it so far and it felt amazing to shoot with a very muted recoil.

20220906_170117.jpg

I have the new Prodigy DS on layaway while I scope out the reviews and forums... I've seen a lot of issues. Even the model I laid away had a bit of hang up on the disconnector and some tightness in the slide but I thought maybe it needed to be broken in when I finally got it. Is it even worth it to pull the trigger on the purchase? I'm thinking about just waiting to get a Bul Armory or Masterpiece arms 2011 instead.
I just put my 1st 100 rounds of Winchester 115 grain target ammo through my 5" prodigy yesterday and was pretty dissapointed. It had at least 4 or 5 failures to feed. I had maybe a clip or 2 with no problems out of 5 clips. When it shot, it shot great but I want to get rid of these hang ups. I'll try to break it in with another few hundred rounds but if that doesn't work I'll have to send it back. It sucks that this is happening with a brand new $1600 1911 from S.A. that is supposed to be so great. I've seen many people online and on YouTube having the same issues as I, some even worse.

There are no small number of threads here in this pistol. Along with most of the other SA 1911s. Read them and make your decision.
Thanks for weighing in. I saw another thread here with some guys having issues but I wanted to dismiss it as FUD because of the guy's attitude after a while. When I went to see people's videos I found about 20 different videos of issues around social media and youtube so I guess he wasn't lying necessarily just angry haha.
And a couple of the guys I commented and talked to it seems like the community really want the gun to work.

welcome to forum from the garden state (NJ). yeah, we have gardens.
no too long ago everyone was jazzed up about the sa-35 when it came out and were falling over themselves trying to get one. then there were some issues with the extractor (if i remember) and pistols were going back an forth to SA. it seems most of those issues were resolved with time.
i'd wait a bit and see how things shake out. still a real nice looking pistol.

Thanks for weighing in. I saw another thread here with some guys having issues but I wanted to dismiss it as FUD because of the guy's attitude after a while. When I went to see people's videos I found about 20 different videos of issues around social media and youtube so I guess he wasn't lying necessarily just angry haha.
And a couple of the guys I commented and talked to it seems like the community really want the gun to work.
Yes, it's pretty frustrating. I have a S.A. 1911 Mil Spec (no issues), a Hellcat Pro (no issues), and an Emissary .45 (no issues) and love them all. You'd think for $1600 they could've gotten this perfect as the guys at the gun shop talked about. He said S.A. has been working on this since 2018 and they took so long to release it because they wanted to get it "just right". What a bunch of b.s. I'm gonna keep trying it and just hope it breaks in but it's not looking very likely based on what's happened so far and seeing all the other guys having the same problem. Why didn't they just use the 12 lb. recoil spring from the get go ? Pretty dissapointing.

welcome to forum from the garden state (NJ). yeah, we have gardens.
no too long ago everyone was jazzed up about the sa-35 when it came out and were falling over themselves trying to get one. then there were some issues with the extractor (if i remember) and pistols were going back an forth to SA. it seems most of those issues were resolved with time.
i'd wait a bit and see how things shake out. still a real nice looking pistol.
Thanks. Yes, I want to make it work and I'll just have to be patient. Luckily, I just got my Emisssary 5".45 and I freakin love that thing.

Hello east coast folks I am from Ohio. I've never had a 1911 I'm 25 I've just really gotten into guns in the last two years so I haven't had too much experience with platform. When the issues started happening I couldn't really tell if it was normal to the platform. I know 1911's can be a bit finnicky but I guess I shouldn't give up on them since older, wiser people are telling me they're better than my plastic guns.

Hello east coast folks I am from Ohio. I've never had a 1911 I'm 25 I've just really gotten into guns in the last two years so I haven't had too much experience with platform. When the issues started happening I couldn't really tell if it was normal to the platform. I know 1911's can be a bit finnicky but I guess I shouldn't give up on them since older, wiser people are telling me they're better than my plastic guns.
1911’s are a great platform, which is why they’ve been around so long. I wouldn’t say they are better or worse than polymer guns. They’re different. Some people love them. Some hate them. I have a mil-spec 1911 in .45 and am waiting on a Tisas 1911 in 9mm. I also have 3 polymer guns (s&w m&p9, shield plus and .22 compact) and like them too. If i could only have one type, 1911 or a striker fired polymer gun, i think i go the 1911 route. But that’s just me.

I've only been into guns a couple years myself but I have 2 other 1911 .45s from Springfield and they have no issues whatsoever. This DS business must be complicating things or like people are saying, Springfield was just anxious to ship these things out and didn't do enough quality control. I don't think the jamming issues or whatever you want to call them are at all typical of most 1911s- they are supposed to be very simple, reliable guns. So far, not the case with the 1911 DS Prodigy so far unless you are one of the lucky ones that happened to get a smooth running one.

As a fan of both plastic and ancient metal guns, 1911's have their pro's and con's. I love shooting them. I would just say they are not "beginner" guns. They require a little bit of shooting know how to get the best performance out of (double goes for 2011's). They are harder to take apart, clean, and weigh more. BUT, something about them keeps me coming back

Welcome to the forum from DFW. I have included a link to my experience with the Prodigy which will hopefully cast a more positive light. As I mentioned to the angry person yesterday, my serial number is 9XXX. I bought my Prodigy last Sunday so we know there are at least 10,000 beta testers out there and I am sure there are many people like Armory Life forum members @10mmLife, @xdman and myself who have had positive experiences. If this is your first 1911 and you have concerns perhaps you would be better off buying a standard Springfield 1911 of which there are many. I just picked up a .45acp Ronin yesterday and also have a 9mm Range Officer Target they are a blast to shoot. Or If you’re set on an all metal, hammer fired double stack but don’t want to spend $2500 you could look at the Sig 226 Legion. I promise you that it will not disappoint. Anyway, good luck on your journey, let us know what you decide, you picked a good forum to join.

Welcome to the forum from DFW. I have included a link to my experience with the Prodigy which will hopefully cast a more positive light. As I mentioned to the angry person yesterday, my serial number is 9XXX. I bought my Prodigy last Sunday so we know there are at least 10,000 beta testers out there and I am sure there are many people like Armory Life forum members @10mmLife, @xdman and myself who have had positive experiences. If this is your first 1911 and you have concerns perhaps you would be better off buying a standard Springfield 1911 of which there are many. I just picked up a .45acp Ronin yesterday and also have a 9mm Range Officer Target they are a blast to shoot. Or If you’re set on an all metal, hammer fired double stack but don’t want to spend $2500 you could look at the Sig 226 Legion. I promise you that it will not disappoint. Anyway, good luck on your journey, let us know what you decide, you picked a good forum to join.

Unfortunately, after having a CZ SP-01 and a Sig X-5 Legion, I have been used to the carry weight of larger metal carry guns. I have shot and handled Staccatos and Magnum research 1911's but never owned them myself. I like the platform. Just never had issues because I've never been an owner of one for myself. I have been spoiled by the feel now so I really wanted the prodigy to work. Optic ready platform out of the gate. I have no experience with SA so if yall say they take care of folks then I will give them a chance to rectify the situation.

As a fan of both plastic and ancient metal guns, 1911's have their pro's and con's. I love shooting them. I would just say they are not "beginner" guns. They require a little bit of shooting know how to get the best performance out of (double goes for 2011's). They are harder to take apart, clean, and weigh more. BUT, something about them keeps me coming back
Aren't yall youtubers though? XDMAN sounds familiar haha. Youtuber guns seem to be QC'd pretty well which lets me know they can get the gun working fine. I guess goes to my point of trusting the process.

Aren't yall youtubers though? XDMAN sounds familiar haha. Youtuber guns seem to be QC'd pretty well which lets me know they can get the gun working fine. I guess goes to my point of trusting the process.
I'm not a YouTuber and I've never heard of cherry picking firearms to be actually true. I've seen plenty of YouTube reviewers like Honest Outlaw, Paul Harrell, & Hickok45 show issues with different review guns. There's no gain for a manufacturer to put bad guns to the market especially companies like Springfield Armory that offer a lifetime warranty where they pickup the cost of postage both ways and service the firearms. If companies intentionally put bad guns to the market with the intent to have a ton of service calls they wouldn't stay in business.

Unfortunately, after having a CZ SP-01 and a Sig X-5 Legion, I have been used to the carry weight of larger metal carry guns. I have shot and handled Staccatos and Magnum research 1911's but never owned them myself. I like the platform. Just never had issues because I've never been an owner of one for myself. I have been spoiled by the feel now so I really wanted the prodigy to work. Optic ready platform out of the gate. I have no experience with SA so if yall say they take care of folks then I will give them a chance to rectify the situation.
I have an X5 Legion as well and it is, in my opinion, about as close as you can get to a striker fired, double stack 1911. It is also one of the best guns on the market. The 5in Prodigy looks and feels like a hammer fired X5 Legion.

Back