testtest

Wayne LaPierre resigns

...It's sad that an organization as worthwhile to us pro 2nd folks as the NRA is has taken the beating it has over the past few years, both in power (sheer numbers on the roll) and in finances (assets to fight our fight) by so many leaving the organization. Not because we 'know' anything, but we've heard so much from so many others and our desire to be 'part of the group'.

It is sad. But let's say that millions of former members are all totally wrong about WLP and the corruption happening at the top of the NRA leadership - regardless, when you're running an organization, optics still matter, and can have real impact. And if that many loyal members are all leaving because they have a "perception" that their donations are being used improperly, then at the end of the day, whether it's an unsubstantiated perception, or the truth, doesn't actually matter in terms of the negative impact it is having.

And all of this suspicion, that has gone on for years, is not the result of anything the anti-2A crowd has done. The blame lies squarely with the organization itself for not making the changes it should have long ago.

A competent board would recognize this as a serious loss/threat to the organization, and do something about it, even if there wasn't a shred of evidence. Instead, the NRA board has sat on their thumbs over this for years and done nothing. That should also make you wonder...

There will come a day when we will all be wishing for the strongest, most effective pro 2nd amendment organization possible. The day is coming when we will need it!

On that we can certainly agree. But if that organization is going to be the NRA, then they need to get their house in order. If they do, I know many people - people who are ardently 2A and really want to see our rights protected, would rejoin. But that ball is in the NRA's court at this point.

Hammer, much of what you've written above is pretty much 'cut n dried' so to speak. 'Perception is reality' to those who perceive it and it can be reasonably argued that the organization (primarily WLP) should/could have corrected the course by eliminating one (or more) in the leadership if all that mattered was optics. However, this organization is the very essence of protecting one's rights. If it had done as you suggest, is there the possibility then, or even more the probability that so many would have said something to this effect ... 'Well, if they'll throw away their own leader based on just hearsay, how can I trust them to protect my gun rights'? Now maybe I'm over exaggerating a tad, but you get my meaning.

I have no issue with you nor anyone else holding the convictions they hold, I would only ask they ask themselves a few questions first. Like: Am I really aware of any shred of real evidence, or am I acting on what I've heard from others. The only person who can truly feel vindicated of that charge is the very first guy who stood and said "I know WLP is guilty ... I don't have any real evidence but I know he is". Or: Why is Att Gen James just now bringing the case to court when she brought these charges almost 3 years ago? What brought on this suspect timing? Could it be a deliberate attempt to cause hate, discontent and turmoil among the rank and file during an election year? And remember she's the same Att Gen who actually ran her own election campaign on the promise of charging Former Pres Trump with corruption "to ruin him", not to help the citizens of New York by fighting crime, but to "ruin him". Lastly: Did I decide to drop my membership due to anything I know for certain, or was it simply because I heard it from many others who were dropping?

I mentioned earlier I had talked with many members of my local gun range as I'm sure many others have. Almost without exception when asked why they decided to drop their membership if they had, or why they felt WLP should be treated any differently than any other citizen, the answer was basically the same ... that "others they knew were doing it too". Or some even told me that since there were so many dropping out ....... that "their grandpa had always said where there's smoke/there must be fire." I guess I'll just say here, isn't that much like the anti's who say something like 'Well, since so many mass shooters are using that bad, ol' assault rifle, the AR15, then we should ban all assault rifles even from the responsible, law abiding gun owners. Now obviously I know the AR platform is not an assault rifle by any definition, but those who want to ban them, and the anti's in general do not know that and are convinced they are. That's their 'perception and their reality', but it's not real reality. I'm sure you and I both can agree with that. NOTE: All this last paragraph is mainly 'food for thought' and in no way intended as an argument to convince you nor anyone else that they're wrong.

Finally I'll offer this with all due respect. I fully appreciate and support every individual's decision on what/how they deal with the WLP/NRA issue. And I'm not in anyway arguing any defense for anyone who is proven guilty of any valid charges. I'm not even an attorney ... but I have slept at a Holiday Inn before ... several times.

Last edited:
A competent board would recognize this as a serious loss/threat to the organization, and do something about it, even if there wasn't a shred of evidence. Instead, the NRA board has sat on their thumbs over this for years and done nothing. That should also make you wonder...

On that we can certainly agree. But if that organization is going to be the NRA, then they need to get their house in order. If they do, I know many people - people who are ardently 2A and really want to see our rights protected, would rejoin. But that ball is in the NRA's court at this point.

Actually, there are folks who believe in the NRA, a few on the Board, a few former Board members and some others. Even some of us on this forum. And remember the NRA is not some “they” group — it is us. The organization was founded back when more people actually were honorable, things made more sense to most of the population than they do now, and the organizational documents reflected that. Although they worked pretty well then, they need to be changed now to reduce the membership on the Board so the Board would actually be more involved in running the organization, like hiring and monitoring an Executive VP. We have seen our elected Senators and Representatives abdicate their duties in overseeing the Executive Branch, and our Board has similarly been more lax than they should be. We all need to get ourselves informed and elect Directors who are committed to the mission of the NRA and are willing to do the hard work to make the needed changes. United we stand, divided we fall.

I've said my piece on the subject, and continuing on would just be flogging a dead horse. I'll share one final observation, however:

I think it's bizarre that people who are trying to defend WLP and the rest of the NRA leadership are twisting this to make it sound as though the problem lies with the millions who've lost faith/trust in the organization, rather than the real problem being with the leadership of the organization itself. When you lose millions of formerly dedicated members, there is a very serious problem that can't just be excused away, or blame-shifted. And that problem isn't the fault of those that no longer believe the NRA is what it once was.

It is sad. But let's say that millions of former members are all totally wrong about WLP and the corruption happening at the top of the NRA leadership - regardless, when you're running an organization, optics still matter, and can have real impact. And if that many loyal members are all leaving because they have a "perception" that their donations are being used improperly, then at the end of the day, whether it's an unsubstantiated perception, or the truth, doesn't actually matter in terms of the negative impact it is having.

And all of this suspicion, that has gone on for years, is not the result of anything the anti-2A crowd has done. The blame lies squarely with the organization itself for not making the changes it should have long ago.

I've said my piece on the subject, and continuing on would just be flogging a dead horse. I'll share one final observation, however:

I think it's bizarre that people who are trying to defend WLP and the rest of the NRA leadership are twisting this to make it sound as though the problem lies with the millions who've lost faith/trust in the organization, rather than the real problem being with the leadership of the organization itself. When you lose millions of formerly dedicated members, there is a very serious problem that can't just be excused away, or blame-shifted. And that problem isn't the fault of those that no longer believe the NRA is what it once was.
Fair enough. But abandoning the NRA only insures it won't be what it once was.

Tom Gresham covered the WLP debacle on his show today. Very good info.

Who is Jim Shepherd ?

He is a media expert and helped start up several media outlets when cable became a thing. He is an avid hunter 2A supporter and editor of Tactical Wire

You can find several videos and interviews on YouTube and several shooting industry media. Here’s a link from Micheal Bane

Thanks for the links, ECS686! This is an important moment in NRA’s history and is important to all of those who value the Second Amendment. I really appreciate your help in keeping us informed.

I’m really surprised the normal YouTube channels and other media isn’t covering it closely. At least the quick search I did I couldn’t find anything the night of. So we’ll just do the day after as it seems to be a pretty decent breakdown.

Back