testtest

WEED

My FIL was born and raised in Harlan, Ky. The 30's and 40's saw the raise of what he called road houses. These were owned and operated by the community's criminal element. It was a form of organized crime that controlled the flow of alcohol into into these counties where the sale of boze was illegal. For years every time an attempt was made to allow the sale of alcoholic beverages the road house owners funded the oppostion. Harlan wasn't called "bloody" for nothing.

I have to admit, the scene with Cheech singing "My Scrotum!" to the old Knack song has stuck with me to this day...40-some years later...
I used to talk to Doug Fieger all the time. A friend of mine in Santa Monica was good friends with him. Fun fact, his brother is the bigshot lawyer Geoffery Fieger. Doug was a huge Beatle fanatic ( as am I ) and a vintage guitar and amp whore ( as am I). Through the same friend in Santa Monica I have also talked to Bill Mumy ( Anthony who wishes you into the corn from the old Twilight Zone). Also a complete Beatle fanatic and gear whore.

I remember when i was in the Air Force and we were busting many people for marijuna use. Most got bad conduct discharge.I didn't feel sorry for them, you knew the rules and if you broke them you paid the price if caught.
I know guys at work who carry around fake pee. They're idiots. You want to jeopardize your cush job for some weed, that makes you a moron. No one wants a stoner hooking up their gas service.

I know guys at work who carry around fake pee. They're idiots. You want to jeopardize your cush job for some weed, that makes you a moron. No one wants a stoner hooking up their gas service.
It's stupid if they know they're risking their job; however, if they get "stoned" on a when they get off of work or during the weekend, they're not going to be under the influence when they going into work the next morning.

It's like alcohol. In the trucking industry CDL drivers that you see passing you on the highway can stop with a full load while off duty to grab a drink granted there's a 4 hour gap before they're on duty again... that's to insure that the effects of the alcohol have wore off. That's the law countywide. The high from smoking cannabis last around 3 +/- as well. Someone can responsibly smoke weed just like they can responsibly have a drink, and be fully functional up to 3 to 4 hours later.

It's stupid if they know they're risking their job; however, if they get "stoned" on a when they get off of work or during the weekend, they're not going to be under the influence when they going into work the next morning.

It's like alcohol. In the trucking industry CDL drivers that you see passing you on the highway can stop with a full load while off duty to grab a drink granted there's a 4 hour gap before they're on duty again... that's to insure that the effects of the alcohol have wore off. That's the law countywide. The high from smoking cannabis last around 3 +/- as well. Someone can responsibly smoke weed just like they can responsibly have a drink, and be fully functional up to 3 to 4 hours later.
The BAC limit is .04 for CDL drivers. Everyone else is .08 ( in Missouri). Other than that the law is the same as it is for anyone. And that .04 is even when you are in your personal vehicle, not working. THAT is the law. I am a Class A with X endorsement. I can have a beer with lunch if I want. As long as I don't wind up over .04 it's all good. I never heard of a 4 hour thing. That doesn't even make sense since it doesn't take into account how much alcohol you drank, your weight or rate of metabolism or what your BAC is.

When a reliable test is developed to determine if someone is currently under the influence of Marijuana some of that may change for some people. It's unlikely it will ever change for me. Either way, doctors, Airline pilots, people who work on natural gas lines, they all agree to the rules before they take the job. The company, ANY company, absolutely has the right to terminate your employment if drug testing was a requirement of your employment and you fail a drug test.

My FIL was born and raised in Harlan, Ky. The 30's and 40's saw the raise of what he called road houses. These were owned and operated by the community's criminal element. It was a form of organized crime that controlled the flow of alcohol into into these counties where the sale of boze was illegal. For years every time an attempt was made to allow the sale of alcoholic beverages the road house owners funded the oppostion. Harlan wasn't called "bloody" for nothing.

Old time local lawmen were oft heard to say, "There's no profit in an open town."

The BAC limit is .04 for CDL drivers. Everyone else is .08 ( in Missouri). Other than that the law is the same as it is for anyone. And that .04 is even when you are in your personal vehicle, not working. THAT is the law. I am a Class A with X endorsement. I can have a beer with lunch if I want. As long as I don't wind up over .04 it's all good. I never heard of a 4 hour thing. That doesn't even make sense since it doesn't take into account how much alcohol you drank, your weight or rate of metabolism or what your BAC is.
6.3.2 Alcohol (392.5)
Drivers are forbidden to consume or be under the influence of alcohol (as defined in 49 CFR 382.107) within four hours of going on duty or operating a CMV (49 CFR 392.5). Drivers are forbidden to use alcohol, be under the influence of alcohol, or have any measured alcohol concentration, while on duty, or operating, or in physical control of a commercial motor vehicle. Alcohol can only be transported as part of a shipment.

When a reliable test is developed to determine if someone is currently under the influence of Marijuana some of that may change for some people. It's unlikely it will ever change for me. Either way, doctors, Airline pilots, people who work on natural gas lines, they all agree to the rules before they take the job. The company, ANY company, absolutely has the right to terminate your employment if drug testing was a requirement of your employment and you fail a drug test.
I agree that if they signed up for a job and don't follow any of the company's rules and policies, they should face disciplinary action, but I disagree with the stereotype and assumption that just because someone might smoke during their off time that they will be capable of doing their job the next day. That's between the employer and employee.

L.E. doesn't generally test to see if a driver is impared by legal prescription drugs, from not getting a significant night's rest, because they're sick, or the plothera of other impairments that kill more people who are behind the wheel than cannabis. The aforementioned groups of people are simply charged with reckless, manslaughter, or whatever traffic or criminal crime they broke as a result.

It's kind of along the same lines as if someone is killed with bare hands there's no added charges but if that same person was killed with a gun, a gun charge is added because of "gun crime." Either way the crime of murder was committed. Why is it more wrong when a gun is used vs when it's hands and feet or for any other random hateful reason?

When it comes to driving: If your negligence causes someone to be harmed while behind the wheel, it shouldn't matter what the negligence stemmed from as the end result is the same either way as should be the punishment. As a parent, if someone drunk a beer and the result was my child was dead or they only sleep 3 hours or took prescription pills and my child ended up dead, either way they knowingly got behind the wheel impared and not fit to drive and now my loved one is dead.

All in my worthless opinion.

Last edited:
I know everyone's opinions are different, but seems like the U.S. is currently going through the same change that citizens went through back in the prohibition days. Drinking any alcohol was looked down on by most states and the majority of the country. People were jailed, it had to be sold underground and illegally, and thugs and organized criminals took it over.

Public sentiment started to change, alcohol because legal again, the pro-prohibition generation passed and were slowly replaced by those who saw drinking as being normal instead of immoral, criminal, and ungodly. 23 states and Washington, D.C. have legalized recreational use, and 38 states have legalized medical marijuana.... It's just a matter of a few decades before the overall public sentiment changes, the sigma, stereotypes, and fear mongering are removed, and cannabis will be legal and seen as bring no different than having a beer or glass of wine. That day can't come fast enough because the Libertarian in me is strongly against the crimilzation of a natural plant and imprisonment of those who possess it. I also don't think that something should be made illegal for EVERYONE just because some are scared that the few might abuse a freedom. That is, I disagree with the basis for keeping cannabis illegal and locking people up which in turn may forever take away their rights and hurt their employment opportunities just because some are fearful of the minority misbehaving.

I agree that if they signed up for a job and don't follow any of the company's rules and policies, they should face disciplinary action, but I disagree with the stereotype and assumption that just because someone might smoke during their off time that they will be capable of doing their job the next day. That's between the employer and employee.
Yes it is between the employer and the employee. Except ( as you noted earlier) in my case it is also regulated by several other agencies. Including DOT and the Missouri Public Service Commission. My company is required to perform random drug tests and random alcohol tests by the Dept. of Transportation.

I agree to a point that what you do on your time is your business. Again though, there is no reliable way to test for current marijuana intoxication like there is with alcohol. And I'll also add the caveat that I know a significant number of stoners who are dumb AF as a result of chronic weed use. It obviously effects people differently, but my nephew should never smoke weed. He's already an idiot. And I knew a guy in high school who was normal in grade school, but by the time we hit 7th grade he was ate up. Call me old fashioned but I don't want Jeff Spicolli performing open heart surgery on my mom, flying my family to Barbados or messing with natural gas pipelines.

That website you linked, the National Motor Carriers Ass. or whatever. It clearly says that commercial drivers are held to a higher standard. And they should be. So should doctors, pilots and other people which the lives of other people are dependent on them doing their jobs correctly.

Personally, I'm not interested in any form of weed or other drugs for myself. As a Libertarian I don't care what others do, except when they might endanger others, or when they are employed for a high level of intelligence and then destroy it with drugs. That is just sad. :(

You've brought up some valid points about the complex issue of drug use and employment. Employers must balance respecting their employees' personal lives and ensuring a safe and productive work environment. The lack of a reliable test for current marijuana intoxication does make things more challenging compared to alcohol testing.
Easy:
Dont smoke weed on the job or before you go into work… duh

1700363452234.jpeg
1700363452234.jpeg

I was sharing with a friend that if the feds wanted to fire up the street to prison pipeline all they’d need to do is compare the two databases and the jails would be filled almost overnight. The wanton disregard for humanity when I see folks smoking in cars while driving is maddening. As someone who loves Bourbon, while I would never do it, I cannot imagine the consequences of pouring myself a couple of shots while operating a motor vehicle .

/rant over

Back