testtest

What craziness have you seen this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
I went grocery shopping and chatted up the clerk during checkout. Apparently they sold completely out of toilet paper. This panic is getting crazy. Add that to Jim Bakker hawking his miracle silver solution to kill Covid-19, people advocating for drinking bleach, and not eating chinese food on the list of stupid responses. What kind of stupid have you witnessed in response to Covid in the last couple weeks, and when do you think people will slap themselves out of it?

It always does. It still higher than after the .com bubble and the housing bubble broke. It's always had upward growth not long after a recession or depression. That said, I lost a bunch today, too. We just have to ride it out as best as possible.
You're correct benstt. I was kind of kidding here. I "lost" several hundred thousand during the 2008 recession. I didn't panic, and it all came back and then some. You only lose if you sell. But it's been fun watching the market bounce down then up and then down again, all due to every little bit of news on this virus. ;)

You're correct benstt. I was kind of kidding here. I "lost" several hundred thousand during the 2008 recession. I didn't panic, and it all came back and then some. You only lose if you sell. But it's been fun watching the market bounce down then up and then down again, all due to every little bit of news on this virus. ;)
Oh, cool. I frequently don't know when people are serious on forums.

That sucks BET7 losing that much while two years from retirement.

Oh, cool. I frequently don't know when people are serious on forums.
I saw something similar on a Seinfeld episode, were Jerry enters the market and watches his investment go up and down (mostly down), each day. His girlfriend tries to explain that the market fluctuates, to which Jerry replies "well I've just been fluctuated out of 15 thousand dollars". I figured I'd paraphrase while still making a somewhat serious observation, that some (like me), have "lost" a significant sum in the market recently. Again, emphasizing the word "lost" only if you sold off, which I did not. :) ;)

That sucks BET7 losing that much while two years from retirement.
I wasn't alone. It was my 401K (company profit sharing) account and another financial account I had through the company. The more that's in the account, the greater you can drop or gain depending how the market is doing. Some people look at it daily and can't tolerate the ups and downs it's going to experience. Fortunately for me, I also had sizable "liquid" assets that could see me through the roughest of rides. In the 401K's case, I just need it high when I start taking distributions. Before that, I'll probably move most of it from the risky growth fund to a more stable fixed fund as I get closer to the 70 1/2 required distribution withdrawal Federal deadline. Between now and then, I'm hoping the market comes back and I can shift the allotment over at a market high for my investment funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back