testtest

What Is the Best Caliber for Self-Defense?

Yes, in both cases there are a couple outliers that actually performed even better than "good."

But my point is that we can't just implicitly assume that .45 ACP is going to be "bigger" at the end of the day, much less "better." It might be, it might not, depending not just on one's choices or even the data on Lucky Gunner, but by testing those specific rounds with your exact pistol until you're confident that you're consistently getting very good expansion. Otherwise, no one should be confidently saying, "I choose .45 ACP because it's bigger" - that's just an unverified assumption based on unfired width, which is irrelevant.

BTW, I shoot and carry .45 ACP a fair bit. But I have never convinced myself that it does something the other middle of the road calibers don't.
There’s nothing magic that makes a 9mm expand more (as a percentage of original diameter) than a .45; the same bullet technology exists in both calibers.

At the end of the day, all factors being equal…a .45 will make bigger hole.

Bigger holes have a higher percentage of hitting something important.

There’s nothing magic that makes a 9mm expand more (as a percentage of original diameter) than a .45; the same bullet technology exists in both calibers.

I didn't say anything to suggest otherwise.

At the end of the day, all factors being equal…a .45 will make bigger hole.

Yes. But all factors aren't always equal. Like I said above, there are some 9mm HPs that expand to a larger diameter than poorly performing .45 ACP HPs that have little expansion at all. So it isn't entirely as cut and dry as assuming that merely choosing a .45 ACP means automatically getting a bigger hole at the terminal end. As with most things ballistic, it depends.

Bigger holes have a higher percentage of hitting something important.

A very slight higher percentage, yes. But it's nowhere near as big of a game-changer or as decisive as some .45 ACP proponents make it sound. And I really wonder how many of those folks know specifically what their carry ammo expands to, on a consistent basis. I'm guessing very few.

Hopefully when a person decides to carry a handgun for self defense they do research to help determine what ammo to use. Although I consider myself pretty savy that in no way makes me an expert. Of course the ammo has to reliably function and be at least capable of combat accuracy. As you stated there's a lot of good and bad ammo choices in todays market. This forum helps especially newer shooters in making decisions on just about all things firearm related.

Hopefully, yes. And I do think a lot of good info gets exchanged here, for sure. But there's also a lot of info getting circulated in the gun world, esp. when it comes to calibers and ballistics, that is based on little more than assumptions and myths that keep getting regurgitated. If there isn't data to support it, then it's just an opinion.

In my humble opinion there are more than few factors that effect how a bullet may or may not expand on a human being. Angle of entry, clothing, muscle and bone just to name a few could make the so called best bullet not properly expand.

Absolutely. Expansion is not a given. And when it comes to penetrating through thick clothing, for example, a smaller diameter and a higher velocity may be an advantage. Lots of expansion can cause a bullet to slow down faster, or barely penetrate at all.

All of which again is just to say that it's a lot more complicated than "this" vs "that" caliber. Or, on the other hand, it really isn't complicated at all, because none of the middle of the road calibers do anything spectacular, or anything that that others don't do. Which brings us full circle. 😉

Hopefully, yes. And I do think a lot of good info gets exchanged here, for sure. But there's also a lot of info getting circulated in the gun world, esp. when it comes to calibers and ballistics, that is based on little more than assumptions and myths that keep getting regurgitated. If there isn't data to support it, then it's just an opinion.
To date most of the info I've been privy to on bullet performance is from testing by shooting bullets into ballistic gel. Some put various types of cloth in front of the gel to imitate shooting someone wearing clothing. Others like the FBI Standards shoot through wood, sheetmetal, auto glass, etc. I've seen others that actually shoot through animal meat and bones to determine how a bullet might perform on a human being. I don't think these tests are a be all, end all test on a bullets performance on human beings. The FBI testing is great for Law Enforcement folks who may have to shoot through tough barriers. I guess it's possible I may need that kind of performance but not likely. The gel tests do show, under ideal circumstances how bullets may or may not expand or penetrate enough or too much. Man that was a long winded reply. I'm sure I missed a lot, just trying to add info into this thread.

1702873550923.png

Absolutely. Expansion is not a given. And when it comes to penetrating through thick clothing, for example, a smaller diameter and a higher velocity may be an advantage. Lots of expansion can cause a bullet to slow down faster, or barely penetrate at all.

All of which again is just to say that it's a lot more complicated than "this" vs "that" caliber. Or, on the other hand, it really isn't complicated at all, because none of the middle of the road calibers do anything spectacular, or anything that that others don't do. Which brings us full circle. 😉
I understand your theory, thinking a lighter bullet moving faster would possibly expand and penetrate better than a slower heavier bullet. I think it's a given that high velocity JHP's rapidly start expanding upon contact quickly slowing the bullet down. A much heavier slower bullet uses momentum of mass to continue expanding at a slower rate enhancing penetration. As I mentioned in an earlier reply Luck Gunner Lab test showed a 5 shot average of .085 expansion & 14" of penetration for the 230 grain HST 45ACP bullet. The same 5 shot average of .061 expansion & 15.2" of penetration for the 147 grain HST 9mm bullet. If my math is correct the much heavier, slower bullet expanded .024 more than faster moving 9mm bullet. I think we both can agree that Federal HST bullets are top tier.

Perp was early 20s (IIRC), dosed with LSD, mad at his dad...and there you go. Climbed one of the bell towers of St Aloysius Cathedral and let rip.
Forgot the conclusion: Perp went down the tower, left the church, ran across a side street and around a corner of a building and ran right into a cop coming in the opposite direction. Cop shot him in the chest and that was that.

I didn't say anything to suggest otherwise.

Yes. But all factors aren't always equal. Like I said above, there are some 9mm HPs that expand to a larger diameter than poorly performing .45 ACP HPs that have little expansion at all. So it isn't entirely as cut and dry as assuming that merely choosing a .45 ACP means automatically getting a bigger hole at the terminal end. As with most things ballistic, it depends.

A very slight higher percentage, yes. But it's nowhere near as big of a game-changer or as decisive as some .45 ACP proponents make it sound. And I really wonder how many of those folks know specifically what their carry ammo expands to, on a consistent basis. I'm guessing very few.
That’s cherry-picking high-performing 9mm bullets and comparing them to poor performing .45’s.

Again—apples to apples, the .45 makes a bigger hole. Trying to make it sound otherwise is disingenuous.

Additionally…bone strikes were brought up. The heavier .45 has a better chance of not being deflected than a lighter 9mm, again. all other factors being equal.

Back