testtest

Why I Carry with an Empty Chamber — Should You?

and-we-are-off-to-the-comments-section-let-s-see-what-the-experts-think-48588ee0d141f739526aab...jpg

Hey Doc: I do the same when visiting or receiving my young grandchildren.
And why is that? Are you afraid they'll disarm you and shoot you with your own gun. Or are you concerned that you will draw on them and shoot them before you realize that they are harmless, or are they? I once read someplace (so I can't vouch for the truthfulness) that the Israelis instituted this policy because they had so many untrained civilians carrying guns and wanted some kind of safety margin. This was probably in lieu of sufficient training. You do have sufficient training don't you? Our military does not allow loaded carry unless in a hot zone. Could this be in lieu of sufficient training? Could be!
I read Dabb's apology for this type of carry. But it seems to me with a gun on safe (if it has one) carried in a secure holster on a strong belt it is not going any place. Dabbs talks about wearing scrubs all day at work so probably does not use a secure holster and belt under scrubs without belt loops. Hard to believe he's not competent with firearms so I just can't wrap my mind around anybody pushing this empty chamber policy.

I carry with an empty chamber. Main reason being that I carry a full-size Springfield XD .45. Since it doesn't have a safety switch but a safety pressure switch on the rear and trigger, I feel safer carrying it without a chambered round. I can easily chamber a round fast enough when needed. Safety first I feel. I am in the hunt for another, smaller caliber for my personal carry with a safety switch.
What is a safety "switch?" If you feel safer without a chambered round think of how much safer you would feel without a gun?

And why is that? Are you afraid they'll disarm you and shoot you with your own gun. Or are you concerned that you will draw on them and shoot them before you realize that they are harmless, or are they? I once read someplace (so I can't vouch for the truthfulness) that the Israelis instituted this policy because they had so many untrained civilians carrying guns and wanted some kind of safety margin. This was probably in lieu of sufficient training. You do have sufficient training don't you? Our military does not allow loaded carry unless in a hot zone. Could this be in lieu of sufficient training? Could be!
I read Dabb's apology for this type of carry. But it seems to me with a gun on safe (if it has one) carried in a secure holster on a strong belt it is not going any place. Dabbs talks about wearing scrubs all day at work so probably does not use a secure holster and belt under scrubs without belt loops. Hard to believe he's not competent with firearms so I just can't wrap my mind around anybody pushing this empty chamber policy.
Haters gotta hate

This turned out better than some oil threads i've seen. lol.. i don't care how anyone carries, not my business, just don't tell me how i should. now if someone presents an article for both ways and lets the people decide then that's ok by me. but don't take a side and tell everyone you need to do it my way.

False. Israelis only allow IDF or trained individuals to own guns. They recently relaxed the law in light of Oct. 7, but they still require training. And the additional individuals they allowed to have weapons will be disarmed after “ the threat has passed” allegedly.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Why I Carry with an Empty Chamber — Should You?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/i-carry-with-an-empty-chamber-should-you/.

I totally agree with Belt Fed. Carry your defensive handgun however you want too. My personal opinion is you can practice thumb cocking by dry firing and even at your range till the cows come home. But when you're scared sh--less having to fumble cocking your hammer is scary. I'm not going to tell a war story but having to cock my hammer on my 1911 almost got me shot.

WHY? WHY? Why do people think they can pontificate on a subject like this and actually think you are going to change anyone’s mind one way or another? Particularly over such a poorly written article. C’mon people surely you could spend your time more productively standing out front of your house screaming at cars to go slower or complaining that the neighbor kid hit his ball in your yard again.

WHY? WHY? Why do people think they can pontificate on a subject like this and actually think you are going to change anyone’s mind one way or another? Particularly over such a poorly written article. C’mon people surely you could spend your time more productively standing out front of your house screaming at cars to go slower or complaining that the neighbor kid hit his ball in your yard again.
"Gun writers" have long since run out of useful subjects to pontificate on. And even when they do hit on a relevant subject the great majority of them obviously have mistaken their "Internet research" as experience or "Expert opinion".

We could have a conversation about carrying with an empty chamber. Might as well throw in guns with no manual safeties, appendix carry, "Cruiser ready" shotguns and red dots on pistols too.

"Gun writers" have long since run out of useful subjects to pontificate on. And even when they do hit on a relevant subject the great majority of them obviously have mistaken their "Internet research" as experience or "Expert opinion".

We could have a conversation about carrying with an empty chamber. Might as well throw in guns with no manual safeties, appendix carry, "Cruiser ready" shotguns and red dots on pistols too.
You left out owning Hi-Point’s and Buicks !
Very important subject matter

I'm curious about the logic here. For most of the article the author is explaining in great detail how they carry to avoid detection which I support 100%, but it seems they think not carrying with a round chambered is an extension of that concealment ("a little old lady may give me a hug"). If someone notices you are carrying the fact that you don't have a round chambered isn't going to matter unless it's someone who intends to do you harm....in which case you probably should have had a round chambered. Do as you like, but that makes about as much sense as saying you will put on your seatbelt if you are going to have an accident.

Back