testtest

XD-M Elite 3.8: Best EDC 9mm?

I like the XDM...but not for a carry piece. A friend has one and it does shoot nicely, but I just don't see carrying one around daily. Maybe it's my physique, but I just don't think I could comfortably conceal anything much larger than my XDs for daily use.

Haha I used to think that about my Ruger LCP - how would I conceal something bigger comfortably, being a late-middle-aged guy with a gut? I found that the XDM Compact (3.8" with shortened grip and flush 13 round mag) actually conceals very well and comfortably at about 4 o'clock using a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. I just have to loosen my belt one notch from its regular position. My issue with the new XDM Elite is that there is no option with the shortened grip, and that is the hardest part to conceal, to me, whether your shirt is tucked or untucked. The extra inch or so in the grip makes a lot more difference than you would think.

You are right in that if 7+1 isn't enough, will 13+1 or 19+1 be enough? Most of us will never end up in a gun fight or shootout, and on average, if 2-3 rounds don't resolve the situation, you are probably in trouble. I read that type reasoning from XDMan a while back, and I've almost stopped carrying my spare 19 round magazine, which makes for one less thing to conceal.

Who does XDm optic cuts, I went over to Springer Precision on instagram, and all the springfields where dovetail optics, it seem no one does springfields, I don't want a generic optics cut, I want a company that can mimic factory to as close as possible. I really am thinking on the 3.8 Elite. I just picked the fn 509 mid mrd, Holosun hasn't release their 508t yet seems it will be a month or 2 on opticsplanet. I've already ordered the apex trigger and striker. hopefully this weekend I'll get to put some rounds thru it.

Haha I used to think that about my Ruger LCP - how would I conceal something bigger comfortably, being a late-middle-aged guy with a gut? I found that the XDM Compact (3.8" with shortened grip and flush 13 round mag) actually conceals very well and comfortably at about 4 o'clock using a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. I just have to loosen my belt one notch from its regular position. My issue with the new XDM Elite is that there is no option with the shortened grip, and that is the hardest part to conceal, to me, whether your shirt is tucked or untucked. The extra inch or so in the grip makes a lot more difference than you would think.

You are right in that if 7+1 isn't enough, will 13+1 or 19+1 be enough? Most of us will never end up in a gun fight or shootout, and on average, if 2-3 rounds don't resolve the situation, you are probably in trouble. I read that type reasoning from XDMan a while back, and I've almost stopped carrying my spare 19 round magazine, which makes for one less thing to conceal.
With a gut? Have you not seen Norbet? The waterpark scene when Rasputia lifts up her stomach too show she has a bottom on!

I have to disagree. The XDM Elite 3.8 is not the best EDC - the discontinued XDM Compact 3.8 is. The XDM Compact is much more concealable with its flush magazine and shortened grip than the XDM Elite 3.8 with its full grip. I think the flared mag well, while good for a competition pistol, also detracts from concealability of the pistol...

I feel like they discontinued the XDM Compact a year ago, as they knew the Hellcat was in the works, but I feel there is still a niche for a full sized compact, versus a sub-compact or micro.

I've tried my XDM 5.25 in the same holsters I use for my XDM Compact. The grip length makes a huge difference in concealing the pistol under a shirt, whether you carry IWB or OWB.

How about making a XDM 3.8 midsize .... 15 round with a 5.0” height to compete with most other modern pistol manufactures!

My EDC is the Springfield Armory Hell Cat, in "my opinion", it's the best Everyday Carry Pistol for "Me" while I do like the XDM Elite 3.8 " 9mm I own 2 XDM OSP 9mm Pistols and probably will add the Elite 3.8 to my collection but for me, the Hell Cat will remain my EDC weapon of choice it's that good.
rickshellcat1.jpg

I had a regular XDm 3.8 for awhile, then traded it for a full size XDm in .45 acp, miss the 3.8 a lot here lately.

Interesting gun and I preface this by saying I am an H&K fan but their updated VP9 with a more concealable grip, options to change the grip, and OSP ready I think is a better choice even though it is "only" 17 round mag capable. Plus you can argue all you want but when discussing the polymer guns H&K makes a higher quality product.

I like the Hell Cat OSP 9MM for my EDC in my urban carry G3 Holster.

Enjoying the info, but have a couple of questions. I started out with Springfield when the 5.25 came out. Really liked it and being the practical guy that I am, I followed up with a compact 3.8, then a bi-metal compact 3.8, then had to have the OSP 4.5. I promise, I am not crazy, just really like the ability to have 19 round mags (especially when the "gear-up" was in effect) to fit what ever I was shooting.
I like what I am hearing about the Elite upgrades to the XDM platform, but now for the questions.
1. Is the Elite mag the same as the basic 19 round XDM mag, but with a different base or follower or extension?
2. Is the Elite trigger compatible with the above mentioned XDMs? I have upgraded a couple with PRP trigger kits and really like the over travel stops and lighter trigger pull.

Thanks for any help

I just purchased th XDm Elite 4.5 and while it's everything I expected from a shooting stand point.. two things have really dampered the new purchase. First and foremost, EVERY XD/XDm I have purchased came w a hard case for traveling and storage. I was very unimpressed to see a small soft case out of the box. Secondly, I specifically wanted this model for the 20rd mags. I was shipped 2 - 19rd mags w flared well installed. I reached out to SA directly and they said that was correct.. I replied w the sales sheet from their site and asked why they advertised 20rd mags. I have not received a response since. Very unhappy. Great gun but I already have 19rd mags for my XDm. I wanted this gun because it was supposed to have extra capacity.

So if the Elite is shipping with 19 round mags instead of 20 round as advertised, they have to be the standard 19 round XDM mags. That is good since I already have so many and they would readily available for others to use for the Elite.
Now, does anyone know if the Elite trigger will work with the XDM?

I just purchased th XDm Elite 4.5 and while it's everything I expected from a shooting stand point.. two things have really dampered the new purchase. First and foremost, EVERY XD/XDm I have purchased came w a hard case for traveling and storage. I was very unimpressed to see a small soft case out of the box. Secondly, I specifically wanted this model for the 20rd mags. I was shipped 2 - 19rd mags w flared well installed. I reached out to SA directly and they said that was correct.. I replied w the sales sheet from their site and asked why they advertised 20rd mags. I have not received a response since. Very unhappy. Great gun but I already have 19rd mags for my XDm. I wanted this gun because it was supposed to have extra capacity.

I think you might be in the minority in wanting the massive hard case.

As far as the mags—can you fit 20 rounds in them? Are they just putting +1 baseplate extensions on the 19’s?

The XDM Elite mags are XDME5920 for 20 rounds and XDME5922 for 22 round. Both are the 19 round mag with extensions for 1 or 3 additional rounds. Here is a link: https://store.springfield-armory.com/shop/pc/XD-M-Elite-22-Round-Magazine-9mm-1301p1959.htm
I would like to find someone with reasonable priced extensions for the 19 round mag. Wouldn't mind having a couple of 22 round mags for backup. Maybe I could tell the wife they are exercise weights for her to carry in her purse???

So if the Elite is shipping with 19 round mags instead of 20 round as advertised, they have to be the standard 19 round XDM mags. That is good since I already have so many and they would readily available for others to use for the Elite.
Now, does anyone know if the Elite trigger will work with the XDM?
I watched a video last night and one of the shooters for SA stated that the trigger is not interchangeable with previous models, because of internal modifications made to the Elite models.

Thanks David. I wasn't aware of the internal modifications. Guess I will continue with the PRP trigger upgrades. I really like them for my range guns.
gosttwofive, that is one of the things that I have liked about the XDM line from Springfield. The 19 round magazine will actually fit the 3.8 compact, 3.8 full size, 4.5 inch and the 5.25 full size guns. And many prices on the original XDM line have actually come down.

Thanks David. I wasn't aware of the internal modifications. Guess I will continue with the PRP trigger upgrades. I really like them for my range guns.
gosttwofive, that is one of the things that I have liked about the XDM line from Springfield. The 19 round magazine will actually fit the 3.8 compact, 3.8 full size, 4.5 inch and the 5.25 full size guns. And many prices on the original XDM line have actually come down.
Is there a mod 1 and mod 2 version of this handgun, the 3.8 inch version I mean with the 19-round mags? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the XDm line, but I very much like the look of this one.

The XDM and the new XDM Elite use the same mags. I am only familiar with the 9mm, since that is what I have concentrated on. They have full grips and compact grips available. I have not tried the Elite yet, but since it uses the same mag, I might be persuaded. Like they say, "how many guns does a guy need?" Check them out at https://www.springfield-armory.com/xd-series-handguns/xd-handguns/

The original XD does NOT use the same magazines, so beware.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back