testtest

SBR first or just convert to 300 blk then SBR

Not to be disagreeable, but as long as he keeps the lower the same, with the brace, it is still a pistol. Remember, he’s putting that 10.5” upper on a Saint Victor 7.5” pistol lower. Not a rifle lower. It’s a pistol in its original configuration and it remains a pistol with the 10.5” upper on it. If he was going from a rifle to a 10.5” upper, then yes, he’d have to register as an SBR. But that’s not his situation.
This is correct. No matter what if it doesn't have a stock on it, it can be a pistol.

Not to be disagreeable, but as long as he keeps the lower the same, with the brace, it is still a pistol. Remember, he’s putting that 10.5” upper on a Saint Victor 7.5” pistol lower. Not a rifle lower. It’s a pistol in its original configuration and it remains a pistol with the 10.5” upper on it. If he was going from a rifle to a 10.5” upper, then yes, he’d have to register as an SBR. But that’s not his situation.
That was my understanding also when I bought a complete pistol lower for 300bo. It does have a pistol buffer tube without a brace.
Ahh.. correct.
I forgot he started with a pistol.
As long as he keeps it a pistol with no stock.

If he wants a stock, its an SBR

Why? Your comments are as valid as anyone's brother.
From my phone getting jacked when doing medical testing and x-rays a similar thread got sideways. My belongings were in a locked storage with only 3 people with keys to it. I had 1 key and 2 hospital workers. I do not know all the rules for classifying pistol, sbr and whatever else there are shorter than rifle class. Not my area! When I thought I might know, I find out there are more than an easy answer for determination? I have (2) 300bo, (1) 5.56 and (1) 308 are filed as pistols.

From my phone getting jacked when doing medical testing and x-rays a similar thread got sideways. My belongings were in a locked storage with only 3 people with keys to it. I had 1 key and 2 hospital workers. I do not know all the rules for classifying pistol, sbr and whatever else there are shorter than rifle class. Not my area! When I thought I might know, I find out there are more than an easy answer for determination? I have (2) 300bo, (1) 5.56 and (1) 308 are filed as pistols.
I think you got your facts straight bro. No stock, no vert grip, it's a pistol.

And as long as the lower wasn’t originally a rifle.

You can take a pistol and put a rifle upper on it and even change it back to a pistol upper, but you can’t take a lower that was originally a rifle and put a short barrel on it.

Well, as long as the lower wasn't bought as part of a rifle. When I buy a stripped lower as soon as it's assembled I stick a 10.5" upper on it, then take it off, now, Bam, like magic it's a pistol. Then it's a rifle, then it's a pistol. lol

Stripped lowers are listed as " Other" on a 4473. So as long as you don't buy a complete carbine/rifle and then convert it, you're A-ok.

It can have an adjustable BRACE, but not a stock of any sort. As long as it doesn’t have a stock or a vertical foregrip and the lower wasn’t originally for a rifle, it’s a pistol.
If a new lower is bought as a stripped lower it can be used in any configuration as a stripped lower is classified as an ”other" on the 4473 form.

A lower that is sold stripped or complete from the factory regardless of stock or brace configuration that it is sold with is still classified as ”other and can be used for rifle or pistol builds as long as the proper legal stock or brace is used for the build.

The NFA is a fine line to follow and with the ATF basically changing the rules on the fly lately, it's best to tread carefully when building anything that could possibly put you into NFA territory.

Well, as long as the lower wasn't bought as part of a rifle. When I buy a stripped lower as soon as it's assembled I stick a 10.5" upper on it, then take it off, now, Bam, like magic it's a pistol. Then it's a rifle, then it's a pistol. lol

Stripped lowers are listed as " Other" on a 4473. So as long as you don't buy a complete carbine/rifle and then convert it, you're A-ok.
Yes. Basically as long as the upper doesn’t start out as a rifle, you’re ok. Technically, if you sit in your room and put a 16” upper on it and immediately take it off, you can’t change to a pistol. But who’s going to know? Lol.

Once it has a stock on it—it’s a rifle forever more. About the only exception to that is the Thompson Contender.

Once it has a stock on it—it’s a rifle forever more. About the only exception to that is the Thompson Contender.
A stripped or complete lower can legally be switched between rifle or pistol without any worry back and forth as many times as you want to switch it as long as the lower was never sold as rifle. Unless a lower ”complete or stripped" is sold with a designated upper it's classified as ”other" which makes it for lack of a better term a universal firearm.

Here is the facts straight from the alphabet police.

Last edited:
Yeah, I stand corrected on that one.

Guess I have more pistol lowers than I thought…
Watch out with that, not all dealers do that. One store I contract with uses a computer system that forces them to choose Rifle or Pistol for a Receiver. And so when they do the 4473 on the computer it as run as whatever designation was assigned to it.

Watch out with that, not all dealers do that. One store I contract with uses a computer system that forces them to choose Rifle or Pistol for a Receiver. And so when they do the 4473 on the computer it as run as whatever designation was assigned to it.
I would never fill out an electronic 4473. I also would never buy a stripped lower from anyone who forced me to choose pistol or rifle.

Back