testtest

Let's see your AR setups...

fQ2CLPM.jpg

Okay, so yesterday I did a thing. Recently I had to sell my Saint in 308 (family/medical issues) and I have missed it greatly. I found this little jewel and was able to trade for it. So, I am back in the AR-10, sorta, game.
The Ruger SFAR! I can't wait to get her to the range! I know it's new, but I have had very good luck with Ruger products in the past.

Attachments

• SFAR 01.jpg
    SFAR 01.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 96
For fun, just wanted to build short a PDW x39 for home defense and truck gun use as well as a suppressor candidate. I didn't want to go 300blk.

Plan of adding a different/smaller red dot though... Next up on the menu is a 308 build. Can't decide on a 12.5 or 16" barre.

6GDpL06.jpg

IWgl0T5.jpg

fxeUgYE.jpg
I have a 308win with a 12.5" barrel and it's a fairly heavy gun. 10.5lbs without the mag. Shooting m80 ammo it kicks fairly heavy. The gun runs great. I'll be doing reloads with 110-185gr limiting muzzle energy from 1,500-1,750.

I have a 308win with a 12.5" barrel and it's a fairly heavy gun. 10.5lbs without the mag. Shooting m80 ammo it kicks fairly heavy. The gun runs great. I'll be doing reloads with 110-185gr limiting muzzle energy from 1,500-1,750.
The kick, muzzle blast, and concussion are the best part IMHO LOL.

I have a PTR PDWR pistol in 308 with an 8" bull barrel, but I haven't shot it yet despite owning it for years. (Not my pic, but I have the same pistol.)
1664732161228.png

I like the cool factor and nolity of a short barrel AR10, but I know it's not as practical as a carbine. I'm building one just to have one though. How do you like yours?

Last edited:
The kick, muzzle blast, and concussion are the best part IMHO LOL.

I have a PTR PDWR pistol in 308 with an 8" bull barrel, but I haven't shot it yet despite owning it for years. (Not my pic, but I have the same pistol.)
View attachment 31273
I like the cool factor and nolity of a short barrel AR10, but I know it's not as practical as a carbine. I'm building one just to have one though. How do you like yours?
It's fun as all get out! It'll run like a scalded cat! I might change out the gas block for an adjustable 1 and do some buffer weight changes and see if the recoil gets tamed? I'll see when I get finished with the custom loads and changing powders for less exit pressure.

That is some serious glass 👍
There's a 6' french door on the wall on the left out of the picture. Both of these were not here originally. After the flood in 2017 I gutted it and did a total remodel. That big 3 light slider I just put in maybe 8 months ago. There used to be a window there. In total I put in 3 big glass doors, 2 on load bearing walls which entails building a temporary support wall before removing the existing studs and building a header wall. I also removed a couple walls and put beams in. We like it much better now.

Nothing special. Anderson lower, BCA SS 16" fluted 1:8 .223 Wylde upper. Magpul stock ( probably going to change that one out eventually), Tru Glo bi-pod, James Madison Tactical Saber single stage 4 lb trigger, Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30X50 scope. Getting 1" groups at 200 yards with IMI 55 gr. 5.56. Probably it's capable of better with some heavier match grade .223 and a better shooter. I need to get it to a range with some real distance and see what it does at 400 or so.

There's a 6' french door on the wall on the left out of the picture. Both of these were not here originally. After the flood in 2017 I gutted it and did a total remodel. That big 3 light slider I just put in maybe 8 months ago. There used to be a window there. In total I put in 3 big glass doors, 2 on load bearing walls which entails building a temporary support wall before removing the existing studs and building a header wall. I also removed a couple walls and put beams in. We like it much better now.
That a ton of great work !! Well done 👍

…. But I was referring to the size of the scope 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That a ton of great work !! Well done 👍

…. But I was referring to the size of the scope 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I wasn't sure and I knew I would answer that question in the next post. It's no Swarovski, but it's the nicest scope I ever owned. It's got a sun shade that makes it about 6" longer in the front. Be almost as long as the gun. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If I had a brain I'd put it on my BAR. It's worth more than the rifle it's sitting on now.

It's fun as all get out! It'll run like a scalded cat! I might change out the gas block for an adjustable 1 and do some buffer weight changes and see if the recoil gets tamed? I'll see when I get finished with the custom loads and changing powders for less exit pressure.
I completely missed the part in your original comment about you already thinking about adding an adjustable gas block.

I've thought about it, but that could/would be a ton of blowback in the barrel! With the right powder it might be ok? I'm trying to keep the case as full of powder as possible (not a fan of less that 90% capacity on rifle cartridges).
Why would there be a tin of blowback in the barrel?

I completely missed the part in your original comment about you already thinking about adding an adjustable gas block.

Why would there be a tin of blowback in the barrel?
I understand about a "tin" (so close to the O) of blowback. It happens to me more than I care to have. With a standard weight buffer it will move/unlock faster giving more gas towards the bcg and potentially popping primers/over pressure. Most pistol gas systems need a heavier (H1 or H2) buffer (556/300bo) or (H2/H3) or heavier on 308win. A 12.5" barrel will help some.

I understand about a "tin" (so close to the O) of blowback. It happens to me more than I care to have. With a standard weight buffer it will move/unlock faster giving more gas towards the bcg and potentially popping primers/over pressure. Most pistol gas systems need a heavier (H1 or H2) buffer (556/300bo) or (H2/H3) or heavier on 308win. A 12.5" barrel will help some.
Yea I get that much, but were you saying there would be more blowback with an adjustable gas system? Maybe I misread.

I use a H3 buffer with the Red extra power SpringCo spring on my x39 build and a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. I just shot with the block wide open, and then slowly closed until it still cycled and I got the correct ejection pattern.

Yea I get that much, but were you saying there would be more blowback with an adjustable gas system? Maybe I misread.

I use a H3 buffer with the Red extra power SpringCo spring on my x39 build and a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. I just shot with the block wide open, and then slowly closed until it still cycled and I got the correct ejection pattern.
If you cut off gas somewhere it'll have to go somewhere else. That elsewhere will be towards the bcg. With heavier bullets it takes longer to exit the muzzle, so dwell time increases. With extra power spring and H3 or H4 seams to work on short barrels as long as you don't cut gas down (there are fine lines of functionality). Using ammo with special loads (built for short barrels and/or suppressors) will be the ticket. Now throw on a suppressor and the "gas in your face" has gone up. The 1st 6.5creed barrel I bought had a rifle length gas system (18" barrel from AP) and it ran perfect with standard weight buffer and spring. I've bought several other brands with the same system and +2 that have been horrible on function with the same factory ammo (pops primers). No cyclic issues, just pops primers no matter how I set the AGB. A heavier spring and/or buffer will be tested.

If you cut off gas somewhere it'll have to go somewhere else. That elsewhere will be towards the bcg. With heavier bullets it takes longer to exit the muzzle, so dwell time increases.
Not necessarily. The excess gas is bleed out the front of the adjustable gas block with some designs. Superlative Arms gas blacks are some of the most popular and recommended. They are my go to. Simply and easily adjust the flow to coincide with the type of ammo you are using if need be.

The Superlative Arms Patented “Bleed Off”, direct impingement, gas block for the AR-15/AR-10/LR-308 platform adjusts the gas flow by bleeding the gas out of the front of the block instead of restricting the flow like conventional adjustable blocks. Results:

• The pressure used in the block is reduced only to the amount required to drive the bolt carrier. The remaining gas / pressure are bled out of the block allowing the system to run much cleaner and cooler.
  • Reduction of felt recoil.
  • Patented adjustment detent is located outside of the block and therefore no contamination.
  • The gas adjustment screw does not restrict the gas flow; therefore there is no erosion or seizing of the screw / no loss of detent due to carbon build up. Although it is removable, we have added a safety mechanism, which stops you from unintentionally backing the screw all the way out.
  • When using SBR’s and / or suppressors the bleed off port allows the excessive pressure to be exhausted out of the block reducing blow back.

Last edited:
20211212_222141.jpg

20211212_222158.jpg

20211212_221618.jpg

20211212_221630.jpg

Done in Duracoat, stencils all hand cut with an exacto knife.
The Forearm was back ordered for 6 months, that is why it is not coated like the rest of the Rifle. When it finally came in, I never got around to coating it.

I've since graduated to Cerakote, currently finishing two 80% frame 1911's in O.D. Green and FDE.

I just got a used XD-M .45 ACP, sent the slide out to be cut for Optics and have disassembled it completely, getting ready to Cerakote it in Desert MARPAT pattern. This time I picked up a cheap Cricut Machine, to cut my templates for me.

Okay, so yesterday I did a thing. Recently I had to sell my Saint in 308 (family/medical issues) and I have missed it greatly. I found this little jewel and was able to trade for it. So, I am back in the AR-10, sorta, game.
The Ruger SFAR! I can't wait to get her to the range! I know it's new, but I have had very good luck with Ruger products in the past.
Congrats @RCoulter52. A 308 in an AR15 type size configuration to compete with the POF Revolution. I own a Sig 716i 308, and although light, still an AR10 type rifle, and not as light as yours. I agree with your assessment of Ruger, I own their discontinued SR762 AR10, and their SR556 Take down AR15 (even bought the 300 BLK barrel for swapping), and have never had any issues and they shoot well. Good luck with your new "little jewel", I'll be interested on what your impressions are after you fire it some.
Here's another link that another forum member posted on here about the new Ruger SFAR.

Back