testtest

Have You Cleared Your House?

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
I practice clearing my house fairly and I have come up with a list of do's & dont's should the real need arise. And I've figured what works best for me. I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Have you ever practiced clearing your house?

What weapons have you used?

What challenges have you discovered?

Have you tried clearing your house starting in different rooms?

Have you cleared your house in a low light condition?

What's the best advice you can share to other members who are interested practicing clearing their house?

Not a lot of scenarios to do with our house, due to design. LR, kitchen, MBedRm, MBathRm, & hallway to the garage. Grandsons bedrooms and other bathroom upstairs. We've gone over sheltering-in-place upstairs, and how to barricade their doors from the inside using their bed and dresser "shored" against the door and opposite wall. I can cover the two entrances to our bedroom easily. What's that term about a funnel of ☠.

The 24/7 security cams, motion detector outside lights at night, and two alert dogs would be a precursor to unwanted "guests". Nope, I don't physically practice clearing.

Last edited:
Not a lot of scenarios to do with our house, due to design. LR, kitchen, MBedRm, MBathRm, & halleay to the garage. Grabdsons bedrooms and other bathroom upstairs. We've gone over sheltering-in-place upstairs, and how to barricade their doors from the inside using their bed and dresser "shored" against the door and opposite wall. I can cover the two entrances to our bedroom easily. What's that term about a funnel of ☠.

The 24/7 security cams, motion detector ourside lights, and two alert dogs would be a precursor to unwanted "guests". Nope, I don't physically practice clearing.
Shelter in place is a valuable drill for a family. Have you looked into using a door knob barricade device for quicker action?
These are low profile and can stay behind a door for use if ever needed.

Shelter in place is a valuable drill for a family. Have you looked into using a door knob barricade device for quicker action?
These are low profile and can stay behind a door for use if ever needed.

That would work very well on the back door, as it would go from bottom/under door knob, and then wedge right into the bottom step/floor of the staircase. Oh, and our front and back doors are the metal-clad type, with no windows in them.

Yep, our cams have night vision and mics also. The neighbor's small dog roams at night, and sets the fro t door and driveway cams off all the time. The chime on my phone wakes me everytime motion is detected.

Last edited:
I have cameras in my house with good night vision and microphones that pickup sound and alert me upstairs and down stairs and I can view on my phone if I hear anything suspicious.
1588893346479.gif

Yes, I've practiced several times, both in daylight and low light conditions.

Usually my CCL weapon if I'm clearing in the scenario of coming home and finding my house unlocked and the carport door open...which, incidentally, I've had to do twice over my sixteen years at my house. Both times the carport door that leads into the house was wide open and unlocked. Both times there was nothing gone from the house and no one was inside. I had to chalk it up to forgetting to pull the door closed when I left both times, but you talk about having to fight an adrenaline dump as your clearing the house? It was definitely heart pumping for a few minutes.

That although I'm well trained with my handguns and rifles, I do NOT want to ever actually participate in an armed encounter with an intruder in my house, there's so many variables to try and plan for. I like to ready for the worst case scenario, but I by no means want that scenario to happen.

Yes, I've thought up a variety of scenarios and cleared accordingly.

Yes, using a tac light on my handgun, it's spooky.

What's the best advice you can share to other members who are interested practicing clearing their house?

If you have hardwood floors like I do, know the loud spots and where the worst creaks are. It's just about impossible to come thru my house without making noise due to the hardwood floors which I had put in. I don't much care for carpet with two boys running around the house, the messes are much easier to clean up..lol, but it does make it a bit harder to navigate the house without making noise. AND know your entry/exit points and escape routes, windows, doors, etc.

I've been checking these out, for door locks:

Between my two decent size (and NOISY) dogs, I don't know that I'd do much house-clearing. I know all my sightlines pretty well if I have to do it, but most likely I'll simply SIP in the upstairs bedroom, hunkered down with the 12ga with an eye on the choke-point/top of stairwell.

But, depends what "they" are doing in the house. It's just me, so not like I have to come to the rescue of a family member in distress...I don't know. Depends on the moment, and adrenaline levels, and if I can hear one person...or multiple people.

Yes, I've practiced several times, both in daylight and low light conditions.

Usually my CCL weapon if I'm clearing in the scenario of coming home and finding my house unlocked and the carport door open...which, incidentally, I've had to do twice over my sixteen years at my house. Both times the carport door that leads into the house was wide open and unlocked. Both times there was nothing gone from the house and no one was inside. I had to chalk it up to forgetting to pull the door closed when I left both times, but you talk about having to fight an adrenaline dump as your clearing the house? It was definitely heart pumping for a few minutes.

That although I'm well trained with my handguns and rifles, I do NOT want to ever actually participate in an armed encounter with an intruder in my house, there's so many variables to try and plan for. I like to ready for the worst case scenario, but I by no means want that scenario to happen.

Yes, I've thought up a variety of scenarios and cleared accordingly.

Yes, using a tac light on my handgun, it's spooky.

If you have hardwood floors like I do, know the loud spots and where the worst creaks are. It's just about impossible to come thru my house without making noise due to the hardwood floors which I had put in. I don't much care for carpet with two boys running around the house, the messes are much easier to clean up..lol, but it does make it a bit harder to navigate the house without making noise. AND know your entry/exit points and escape routes, windows, doors, etc.
Awesome input!

Back