testtest

1911 for Home Defense — The Best Choice?

Only gun writers I ever took serious on there articles were Skeeter Skelton, Col Jeff Cooper and Elmer Keith
You have good taste. Those three were giants, they are legendary even today.

There were others back in the day, too.

And there are a few--a very, very few--working today who are just as good.

The trick is being able to recognize knowledge and pure talent and earned skill. I have that ability. I consider it a Gift from God, and I consider myself very blessed to have it. ;)

IMO the only thing you can prepare for in a gunfight is how you will handle your firearm.

you wont know any other parameters till it happens.

I know I can shoot. I know I can hit moving targets, even if I am moving. I know how to clear a firearm under duress and I know how to run away.

Everything else i have no F’ing clue till when it happens.
You are very wise, KF77. You have mastered simple basic principles and skills and you trust that these will see you through whatever happens. And you are almost certainly right. And in the end, that's just about as well prepared as you can be. There are no guarantees, but fortune favors the well-prepared. God Bless you. ;)

Patrick Sweeny is OK too.
He's more than okay. He's one of a very, VERY few that I will read ANYTHING he writes on ANY subject because I know he knows his stuff, and he will tell me the story in a way that entertains me.

Another guy like that was Peter Hathaway Capstick. I don't hunt, don't care about hunting, and will never hunt Africa, but his writing was so good I knew whatever he wrote would entertain me. And it always did. ;)

I figure if the Zombies get past all of you on the coast, back east & down south that all limits are off the table & I better have a pistol with more than 7 rds.

Far Side Cartoons.jpg

download (2).jpg

Last edited:
IMO the only thing you can prepare for in a gunfight is how you will handle your firearm.

you wont know any other parameters till it happens.

I know I can shoot. I know I can hit moving targets, even if I am moving. I know how to clear a firearm under duress and I know how to run away.

Everything else i have no F’ing clue till when it happens.
Oh, there's one other thing you need to know: What to say to the cops when they come. There is a GREAT article on that in the brand-new issue of Combat Handguns (March/April 2024), which I bought last week at Walmart. Get it, read it, know it, live it.

I’ll listen to my attorney
Not an article
If your attorney has successfully defended self-defense cases, or has specialized in this area of law (such as the lawyers cited and quoted in the article), then you'd be a fool not to take his advice. ;)

The sad fact is that MOST lawyers know as much about this specialized area as "Doctor" Jill Biden knows about open heart surgery...or as much as Kamala Harris knows about...well, anything. ;)

If your attorney has successfully defended self-defense cases, or has specialized in this area of law (such as the lawyers cited and quoted in the article), then you'd be a fool not to take his advice. ;)

The sad fact is that MOST lawyers know as much about this specialized area as "Doctor" Jill Biden knows about open heart surgery...or as much as Kamala Harris knows about...well, anything. ;)
You make assumptions that you know my attorney or their area of law expertise. You do not

A rifle or shot gun is my first choice but if you have to use a pistol then a 1911 is a fine choice. 9 rounds is more than sufficient with a reload for any situation you may encounter at home. Same with a fighting revolver in 357 with a speed loader. I laugh when people say what of there are more than 3 attackers. Well, if they are armed you are phucked. If there are 5 guys charging you and all they have is fists and you have 21 rounds your are also plucked so....

A rifle or shot gun is my first choice but if you have to use a pistol then a 1911 is a fine choice. 9 rounds is more than sufficient with a reload for any situation you may encounter at home. Same with a fighting revolver in 357 with a speed loader. I laugh when people say what of there are more than 3 attackers. Well, if they are armed you are phucked. If there are 5 guys charging you and all they have is fists and you have 21 rounds your are also plucked so....
”The main reason for a pistol is so you can fight your way to your rifle"? Well my Mossburg 500 and M1911 are in the bedroom. My M1A Tanker is in the kitchen. My M1A NM is in the den. My wife and I can both shoot well. The 308 and 45 have proven themselves to stop the bad guy. I sleep well at night.

It's not as simple as ' if high-tech expanding bullets make the 9mm acceptable, then that same technology in the larger .45 ACP ought to be awesome.' I agree that the technology may help both calibers. However, the 9mm travels at significantly more velocity that the .45, which will affect expansion. My point is that it is not an 'apples to apples' comparison. FWIW I have a Prodigy on my nightstand and more often than not carry a single stack 1911 in either .45 or 10mm with at least 2 spare mags. Never feel inadequately armed with any of them.

1911 is good for gun fondlers or for beating someone around the head if you need to. But I've given up on 1911's decades ago. I'm all black plastic.

The guns I get now will all be burner, disposable guns. I've got lots of decent guns, but can't afford to lose them to confiscation while on the road. In bad SHTFF, gov will set up roadblocks and take your guns, just as they did in past emergencies.

Check out this YT video. Very good video to give an idea how things can go down in SHTFF with your guns.

He and others go into some detail with what happened with Hurricane Katrina and gov gun confiscation. And the guns were lost for good. He also talks about having burner guns that you don't mind losing if Katrina becomes a redo by the gov.

Last week I bought a couple of CANIK TP9SF as disposable car guns or as burner guns for gov. confiscation while in the field. I will add more when the budget allows. I have lots of Glocks, but the Canik is very cheap here...$350 - $380 out the door! For car shotguns I have 3 older '09 vintage Remington 12 pumps. I bought them when they were a lot cheaper and a somewhat better build. But for home use I have 2 Beretta 12ga. tactical and 1 Benelli M4 12 ga. I could not afford to lose those to the jackboots; but I could lose 1 or 2 Remington's and still keep going. Caniks or Taurus G3 are good disposable striker pistols. The Caniks are a better choice if you have a few extra bucks over the G3. But for $275, the G3 is a good value. Lots of good info in that video. Well worth your time.

I've carried snubs in cars for over a decade as a backup gun. But snubs are just too outdated except for use as an ankle gun. Here is something most gun fondlers don't know about revolvers. Pound for pound, revolvers are not as powerful as auto pistols. (I've done extensive penetration tests with both.) Think about it. A lot of the gas escapes from the gap between the barrel and the cylinder. Whereas an auto keeps the gas concentrated. Another plus with autos is they absorb some of the recoil, whereas the revolver gives ALL the recoil to you. Normally recoil is not a big issue if shooting a heavy Ruger, but try to shoot .357 in a snub.

L.A. house.jpg

Back