testtest

ATF "AR Pistol Spec Changes"?

Dealing with the NFA is akin to taking a trip down the rabbit hole. The maze of rules and regs are never ending and any clarification you receive needs to be in writing and signed by someone. What is told to you today may be different from what you're told tomorrow, and not all the personnel see things the same way. It's like being in a boxing match where the ref is paid by your opponent. I can not stress enough to all that are not familiar with the NFA regs learn the ins and outs before making a Class 3 purchase.
This 👆👆👆

Dealing with the NFA is akin to taking a trip down the rabbit hole. The maze of rules and regs are never ending and any clarification you receive needs to be in writing and signed by someone. What is told to you today may be different from what you're told tomorrow, and not all the personnel see things the same way. It's like being in a boxing match where the ref is paid by your opponent. I can not stress enough to all that are not familiar with the NFA regs learn the ins and outs before making a Class 3 purchase.
i dont like gray areas when it comes to the govt/atf
Thus, i’ll get permits and err on the side of caution

When I moved from a Suppressor-friendly state to a non-friendly state I had a friend hold things but had to change the permit address with the ATF. When I returned I went through the address change process again since I didn't return to the same address, and retrieved the item.

When I moved from a Suppressor-friendly state to a non-friendly state I had a friend hold things but had to change the permit address with the ATF. When I returned I went through the address change process again since I didn't return to the same address, and retrieved the item.
…only state in the US is the dang State of Confusion. The state flag oughta have a picture of a ball of tangled fishing line & lures on it.
🙄🤨

Received this message from Springfield yesterday, about the the Edge PDW gun I ordered in Oct. 2020

"Good morning,
Unfortunately, the ATF changed the restrictions with regard to the classification of an AR in pistol form. The PDW and the EVAC, as produced, are no longer legal and would fall under the NFA classification of an SBR. We are currently redesigning some of our products to meet the new requirements but so far only one model of Saint pistol is being produced. The details of which can be viewed here.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/...ols/saint-victor-556-ar-15-pistol-magpul-btr/

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Lexi

Springfield Armory®
420 West Main Street
Geneseo, IL 61254"

WTF?
I am fairly new at this whole scenario. Does this apply to the Saint Edge AR-15 pistol, or just to the Saint edge Pdw and Evac?

I am fairly new at this whole scenario. Does this apply to the Saint Edge AR-15 pistol, or just to the Saint edge Pdw and Evac?
The ATF changes Springfield mentions, is the ATF proposal on pistol braces and guidelines on what’s a pistol and what’s potential going to be considered Short Barreled Rifles (SBRs), thus requiring ATF paperwork as described by the National Firearms Act (NFA) law passed by Congress. It contains a point system that includes whether the firearm has a pistol brace, overall length of pistol, weight of pistol, and God knows what else. Points adding up over a certain amount, and it will be classified as a SBR. The way the proposal was originally written, almost all current AR and Pistol Caliber Carbines (PCCs) with or without braces would probably fall under the SBR classification thus requiring following NFA rules, ATF paperwork, and perhaps a $200 tax stamp current required when buying/creating a SBR.
To answer your question, most likely yes, the Saint Edge AR15 pistol would likely fall into this new rule classification if implemented, if it came with a brace, or has a short barrel (7”, 10”, etc.), or exceeded the point system defined by this ATF proposal (which hasn’t been formally approved or implemented, as the ATF is still reviewing comments on said proposal).
Also, keep in mind, this proposal doesn’t only affect Springfield, it affects all firearms manufacturers that produce these type firearms and that meet the qualifications of what the ATF would now considered to be a SBR, (which was specifically written to target these type firearms, at least that’s my opinion).
I hope this helps and explains your question if I understood it correctly.

I’m not aware that the ATF has made any rules changes yet. I think this is a preemptive move by SA.

And I’m not sure why the Evac and PDW would be any different than the 5.56 pistol. What does SA think is different with the 5.56 pistol that won’t make it fall under the same guidelines as the Evac or PDW?

The ATF changes Springfield mentions, is the ATF proposal on pistol braces and guidelines on what’s a pistol and what’s potential going to be considered Short Barreled Rifles (SBRs), thus requiring ATF paperwork as described by the National Firearms Act (NFA) law passed by Congress. It contains a point system that includes whether the firearm has a pistol brace, overall length of pistol, weight of pistol, and God knows what else. Points adding up over a certain amount, and it will be classified as a SBR. The way the proposal was originally written, almost all current AR and Pistol Caliber Carbines (PCCs) with or without braces would probably fall under the SBR classification thus requiring following NFA rules, ATF paperwork, and perhaps a $200 tax stamp current required when buying/creating a SBR.
To answer your question, most likely yes, the Saint Edge AR15 pistol would likely fall into this new rule classification if implemented, if it came with a brace, or has a short barrel (7”, 10”, etc.), or exceeded the point system defined by this ATF proposal (which hasn’t been formally approved or implemented, as the ATF is still reviewing comments on said proposal).
Also, keep in mind, this proposal doesn’t only affect Springfield, it affects all firearms manufacturers that produce these type firearms and that meet the qualifications of what the ATF would now considered to be a SBR, (which was specifically written to target these type firearms, at least that’s my opinion).
I hope this helps and explains your question if I understood it correctly.
Yes it does. Thank you.

It's always been clear to me that "braced" "pistols" were an attempt to use sophistry to circumvent the obnoxious regulatory scheme against SBRs. Not that I care if you own SBRs. Fine by me. But the law is what it is, and there was no way ATF was just going to let this matter slide forever. So now we have the threat of new definitions to circumvent the circumvention you thought you had against the existing definitions. This should not be a surprise.

The issue is not how you can design your "brace" to avoid the definition of a "stock." The issue is there is a draconian regulatory scheme governing the possession of short barreled rifles. If you wish to shoot that "pistol" you made from the shoulder without complying with those rules, you'll never win, as long as those rules exist.

Rather than invent gimmicks that avoid the technical definition of something prohibited, we should work exclusively to remove the prohibition we're trying to work around. Easy to say. Hard to do.

It's always been clear to me that "braced" "pistols" were an attempt to use sophistry to circumvent the obnoxious regulatory scheme against SBRs. Not that I care if you own SBRs. Fine by me. But the law is what it is, and there was no way ATF was just going to let this matter slide forever. So now we have the threat of new definitions to circumvent the circumvention you thought you had against the existing definitions. This should not be a surprise.

The issue is not how you can design your "brace" to avoid the definition of a "stock." The issue is there is a draconian regulatory scheme governing the possession of short barreled rifles. If you wish to shoot that "pistol" you made from the shoulder without complying with those rules, you'll never win, as long as those rules exist.

Rather than invent gimmicks that avoid the technical definition of something prohibited, we should work exclusively to remove the prohibition we're trying to work around. Easy to say. Hard to do.
Personally I never cared for “ Braced” pistols. I anchor the tube on my cheek.

I recently converted my Saint Edge pistol to a SBR. Now I am having issues. I am able to fire about 10-15- rounds before I start getting double feeds. Mags are fine. Could it be the gun is under gassed?? The buffer spring is too long?? The buffer is too heavy ?? 3.8oz Any ideas??

I recently converted my Saint Edge pistol to a SBR. Now I am having issues. I am able to fire about 10-15- rounds before I start getting double feeds. Mags are fine. Could it be the gun is under gassed?? The buffer spring is too long?? The buffer is too heavy ?? 3.8oz Any ideas??
Might be better to start what did you change? If it worked before what did you change?

Might be better to start what did you change? If it worked before what did you change?
Well, here's the thing...I bought the gun new. Had to order it. By the time it came in, I started seeing all this BS with the ATF & arm braces. That being said, I submitted the pw to short barrel it. Never shot it with the arm brace. When the pw was approved, I changed the bolt carrier group, buffer tube, buffer spring & buffer. I also put a Mag Pul collapsable stock on as well. For the record, the barrel is 5.5 in.

Is it possible that the buffer spring is too long and the buffer is too heavy and the gun isn't cycling correctly ??

You're buffer weight is way too light. Try an H3 buffer. The shorter the barrel length the heavier the buffer weight should be. Stick to something in the 5.0 ounce range or possibly heavier. Odin Works makes a great product and they offer an adjustable weight buffer that you can use to fine tune your SBR.

Last edited:
Well, here's the thing...I bought the gun new. Had to order it. By the time it came in, I started seeing all this BS with the ATF & arm braces. That being said, I submitted the pw to short barrel it. Never shot it with the arm brace. When the pw was approved, I changed the bolt carrier group, buffer tube, buffer spring & buffer. I also put a Mag Pul collapsable stock on as well. For the record, the barrel is 5.5 in.

Is it possible that the buffer spring is too long and the buffer is too heavy and the gun isn't cycling correctly ??

Maybe? I know 7.5” barrels are finicky as hades when it comes to reliable setup…a 5.5” will likely be a nightmare, particularly when multiple changes have been made.

And who knows if the gun ran properly in the first place…

The cool thing is…you can still run it with the brace, even though it’s a SBR. I’d suggest restoring it to factory configuration, see if it runs, and if it does…start replacing as few components as you can at a time, and see if it still runs…if it doesn’t, try swapping different buffers. If you get it to run, then try the BCG.

Maybe? I know 7.5” barrels are finicky as hades when it comes to reliable setup…a 5.5” will likely be a nightmare, particularly when multiple changes have been made.

And who knows if the gun ran properly in the first place…

The cool thing is…you can still run it with the brace, even though it’s a SBR. I’d suggest restoring it to factory configuration, see if it runs, and if it does…start replacing as few components as you can at a time, and see if it still runs…if it doesn’t, try swapping different buffers. If you get it to run, then try the BCG.
Thanks !

Thanks for the response !
Here's Odin's website.

Back