testtest

First Round Problems with Prodigy 4.25"

After thoroughly reviewing the previous concerns related to the Prodigy, including issues with feed, ejection, battery failure, magazine, light recoil spring, disconnector, and various friction points, I still decided to purchase the Prodigy despite the $1500 investment, fully aware of these potential problems. While I'm not angry, I must admit to feeling disappointed, as I had hoped that Springfield Armory (SA) would have addressed and resolved these issues by now.

Upon bringing the Prodigy to the range with high expectations and excitement for its performance, my initial experience was less than satisfactory. The first trigger pull resulted in a jam, highlighting an ejection problem. Subsequent rounds from the magazine exhibited an alarming 80% failure rate, plagued by both battery and ejection issues.

Although I consider myself adept at handling technical matters, I am hesitant to make modifications without a clear necessity. To those who have encountered similar issues, I am seeking advice on the most effective course of action to address these concerns. Would it be advisable to return the Prodigy to the manufacturer for servicing, or are there alternative solutions that have proven successful in resolving these issues?

After thoroughly reviewing the previous concerns related to the Prodigy, including issues with feed, ejection, battery failure, magazine, light recoil spring, disconnector, and various friction points, I still decided to purchase the Prodigy despite the $1500 investment, fully aware of these potential problems. While I'm not angry, I must admit to feeling disappointed, as I had hoped that Springfield Armory (SA) would have addressed and resolved these issues by now.

Upon bringing the Prodigy to the range with high expectations and excitement for its performance, my initial experience was less than satisfactory. The first trigger pull resulted in a jam, highlighting an ejection problem. Subsequent rounds from the magazine exhibited an alarming 80% failure rate, plagued by both battery and ejection issues.

Although I consider myself adept at handling technical matters, I am hesitant to make modifications without a clear necessity. To those who have encountered similar issues, I am seeking advice on the most effective course of action to address these concerns. Would it be advisable to return the Prodigy to the manufacturer for servicing, or are there alternative solutions that have proven successful in resolving these issues?
Yeah, there is a history of issues with this gun, but everyone I have heard about called SA and they took care of the problems. Or you can start by putting a heavier spring in it. Which seems to be a thing.

The problems people have had with the Prodigy are well documented and there seems to be this general line of thought that the Prodigy is now sorted out, and from what I’ve read that just doesn’t appear to be the case. The interesting thing is that it use to be the 5in that was the problem child, but I’ve read a lot of reports on the 4.25 having issues lately. Send your Prodigy to SA. They will get it running and do it in a timely fashion.

I'm grateful for the feedback. Since everyone suggested returning it to SA, that's the course of action I'll take. After cleaning the pistol, I noticed a significant improvement in smoothness. I might test it again at the range before reaching out to SA.

I'm curious about the specific actions SA will take. I wonder what procedures are being implemented to rectify.

I'm grateful for the feedback. Since everyone suggested returning it to SA, that's the course of action I'll take. After cleaning the pistol, I noticed a significant improvement in smoothness. I might test it again at the range before reaching out to SA.

I'm curious about the specific actions SA will take. I wonder what procedures are being implemented to rectify.
Typically, they ream and polish the chamber, polish the feed ramp, adjust the extractor and adjust the disconnector.

Gleaning from the vast majority of prior postings, Springfield will do any/all required refinement work, and you'll receive your pistol in fine fettle. Usually rather quickly, holiday(s) notwithstanding. Good luck; keep us abreast. . .

Pardon me for poking a sore, and no disrespect intended, but you DID clean and inspect the pistol before firing?

Comprehend the purpose behind your inquiry. The handgun was bought from a facility equipped with a shooting range, leading to only a brief examination and the application of additional oil before testing. Nevertheless, a staggering 80% failure rate straight from the box is beyond comprehension.

a staggering 80% failure rate straight from the box is beyond comprehension.
Staggering, indeed. Initial field strip and lubrication is merely a starting point, and should never be overlooked. Many strange, potentially dangerous issues have been discovered prior to going hot. Well, you've done your due diligence; given the opportunity, Springfield will do theirs. Good luck.

Comprehend the purpose behind your inquiry. The handgun was bought from a facility equipped with a shooting range, leading to only a brief examination and the application of additional oil before testing. Nevertheless, a staggering 80% failure rate straight from the box is beyond comprehension.
Most of us here are of the opinion that if you clean your gun thoroughly before shooting it you remove that link in the chain as a contributing factor if you encounter problems. I had a handful of double feeds and a couple of big time jams in the first 50 rds with my 5 in Prodigy. I had cleaned and lubed it before shooting it and so I carried on and the malfunctions stopped without explanation and the gun has been flawless ever since. Even if I know I’m picking up a gun and going straight out onto the range with it I take a cleaning kit and give it the once over first.

It's great when a new product works as intended from the beginning. Sometimes the company discovers issues that are addressed in later production runs. Contact SA and discuss your issue(s) and let them take the lead. I've read too many instances of customers attempting their "fixes" instead of returning it under warranty. It is not the customer's responsibility to fix anything and any attempt to do so may void the warranty.

Clean and lube gun. If issues occur, try another magazine and/or different load. Individual guns may not like a given load/profile. Semi autos are magazine sensitive and supplied magazines can be at fault even if new. Resist the urge to get the dremel tool out.

I picked mine up about 3 weeks ago and probably had a 90% failure rate through the first 200 rounds. After giving it a cleaning, it shot flawless for about 110 rounds. After loading a new clip I fired 2 rounds then the hammer did not come back. After checking for a jam and removing the round in the chamber I reloaded the mag and cocked it back only to have to it fire on its own as the slide went forward no finger on trigger. It seems to have issue now with the hammer mechanism.

Back