testtest

Have You Cleared Your House?

Yup. If they were legal I would say a semi auto sawed off shotgun loaded with home defense rounds should about cover all hd needs. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Some of the best laughs I've had was in the early years of the shotgun part of three gun competition. Unless you've tried it you'd never know how easy it was to miss! Sawed off shotguns and shotguns in general make impressive storytelling but not my choice of HD or SD. Patterning the various shotguns and loads against (LARGE) targets is revealing and surprising. A single pellet will knock a quail down but a hopped up home invader?? Not going to rely on a scattergun, unless the barrel is in his belly.

Some of the best laughs I've had was in the early years of the shotgun part of three gun competition. Unless you've tried it you'd never know how easy it was to miss! Sawed off shotguns and shotguns in general make impressive storytelling but not my choice of HD or SD. Patterning the various shotguns and loads against (LARGE) targets is revealing and surprising. A single pellet will knock a quail down but a hopped up home invader?? Not going to rely on a scattergun, unless the barrel is in his belly.

It's pretty easy to miss with anything you don't train with. Especially while you're moving.

I've never done 3 gun ( I would like to) but I've been mainly a shotgun guy my whole life and I've trained with them for many years. I rarely miss anything. Except a F'in woodcock. Jesus those things are tough. Thankfully they don't fly far and they get real stupid once you push them past the area they are used to. So you almost always get a second chance.

It's pretty easy to miss with anything you don't train with. Especially while you're moving.

I've never done 3 gun ( I would like to) but I've been mainly a shotgun guy my whole life and I've trained with them for many years. I rarely miss anything. Except a F'in woodcock. Jesus those things are tough. Thankfully they don't fly far and they get real stupid once you push them past the area they are used to. So you almost always get a second chance.
Pattern, distance, load, gauge, barrel length, choke; if you do not experiment with a shotgun on targets the size of at least a full piece of plywood (side of a barn works well) at varying distances you will remain in the dark. If you do you may be surprised at how much area remains untouched with a BB (how many shot in the shell? How many can you count on target?). If the perp is in the room with you you're probably going to get him. Across two rooms? Maybe, but not likely to stop 'im. If he has done harm or death to a loved one, runs out the door, good luck putting the sucker down with a scattergun.

Pattern, distance, load, gauge, barrel length, choke; if you do not experiment with a shotgun on targets the size of at least a full piece of plywood (side of a barn works well) at varying distances you will remain in the dark. If you do you may be surprised at how much area remains untouched with a BB (how many shot in the shell? How many can you count on target?). If the perp is in the room with you you're probably going to get him. Across two rooms? Maybe, but not likely to stop 'im. If he has done harm or death to a loved one, runs out the door, good luck putting the sucker down with a scattergun.

Dude, I promise you if you are within 20 yards of me I will drop you where you stand. And I'm probably being conservative. Perhaps you ought to do some testing with shotgun shells. Check and see how far 00B spreads at 6'-15'-45', etc..

And these days, with rifled slugs and red dots ? Fuggetaboutit.

Okay the thread is re-opened. Please consider this a public warning.

You are responsible for the content of your posts.

No hate speech, bullying (or comments regarding race, religion of sexual preference/identity) or memes towards any candidate or person will be tolerated. (i.e. No Hitler, Killary Hillary, etc.).

Keep it civil and polite. Also, no foul language. Arguments will result in deletion of all comments or post involved. (Keep it civil no ifs, ands or buts). Healthy discussions / disagreements are okay but as soon as aggression is noticed it will be removed.

Staff DO NOT like taking actions like we just did. Keep it civil plan and simple. If you don't agree with what someone said that is fine. It is their opinion plan and simple opinions are not law. If you want to debate it fine just keep it civil. For the member that got a warning please know this is not the actions I wanted to take but you were out of line on those comments.

I think that clearing any structure alone is silly business in most instances. If I feel that someone is in my house I am not likely to go looking for them. Such an endeavor puts me at a substantial disadvantage if alone. Creeping around looking for an intruder may be exactly what the badguy or badguys want me to do. Getting me out of my place of advantage and into the open where they are advantaged or at least on a more even playing field. I think that tv and movies have romanticized the whole "clearing " crap and every other yahoos wants to feel like they are "doing something" when they engage in it. Me, I will wait it out, listen and make my own judgement about whether or not someone is in my house. If I do feel like an intruder is afoot, i will call for assistance ( if possible) and I will hold my position of advantage and make them come to me if they want a confrontation. If someone runs off with my tv or stereo, let them. If they decide to come through my bedroom door, its on.

If children or other family are in the home, I may have to simply seek out the potential danger. That is not my situation as me and the wife would be in the same room. I will wait and listen.. make a determination but I wont go skuling around like some goofball looking for a badguy. If someone is actually in the house, my dogs would have already took a chunk out of them or at least made a holy ruckus.

whatever you do. good luck.

if you decide to go creeping around alone looking for a badguy, the odd are probably not in your favor

Shelter in place is a valuable drill for a family. Have you looked into using a door knob barricade device for quicker action?
These are low profile and can stay behind a door for use if ever needed.

I installed an entry lockset on our bedroom door when I worked nights and the wife was home alone. I'm retired now but we still use it.

Back