testtest

Hellcat OSP Optic choices

I'm still confused about why you use the dust cover. I carry my guns ready to go hot sauce 100% of the time. Beat it up. It's an EDC gun. Dust and scratches are the cost of doing business.

No bad guy is gonna wait for you to pull that thing off.

I’m just using the dust cover for transport to the range. It’s not my EDC gun either. Really my range gun or outdoor type firearm I use a 911 for EDC it’s a 380 but I’m thinking of getting the 9mm

New to the forum. Howdy dammit!

Really like my Hellcat but the optic is giving me some issues. I originally ordered an RMSc from Optics Planet but when I saw the email come back that said it would be backordered for well over a month I cancelled it and looked for other options. I came across the Riton and ordered. I have to say I really like the optic overall, but I'm having some issues. When you use the included screws to secure it to the gun it seems to have a very small gap/upward cant to it such that the front of the optic is not flush with the slide the way the back of the optic (where the screws are locking it down) are. As a result, when the slide cycles, the optic tends to jump up and sometimes doesn't sit back down where it was. It is raising up and the lugs on the slide meant to secure the front of the optic are actually damaging the bottom of the optic itself. I reached out to Riton and to their credit they were very attentive and ultimately replaced the optic. Guess what...it is happening again.

Is anyone else having this issue with the Riton or any of the other options? Based on this forum I looked at the Swampfox and can't find one in stock at the moment but I asked Steel City to email me when back in stock. I don't mind paying for a quality optic, but when I do I expect it to freaking work...not smash itself to pieces.
IMG_1194.jpeg
IMG_1192.jpeg

Roach...you might check for one of my earlier comments (page 10). I had a stuck screw holding the OSP plate in place and had to take it to a gunsmith. After he removed the stuck screw he asked if I'd like him to mount the optic...of course, I said yes. He immediately found that the included screws with the Riton were too long, he ground them down and the optic sits flush throughout. Going to the range on Sunday and we'll see how it functions.

Roach...you might check for one of my earlier comments (page 10). I had a stuck screw holding the OSP plate in place and had to take it to a gunsmith. After he removed the stuck screw he asked if I'd like him to mount the optic...of course, I said yes. He immediately found that the included screws with the Riton were too long, he ground them down and the optic sits flush throughout. Going to the range on Sunday and we'll see how it functions.
Mike - Thanks, I do remember seeing that post. I'll take it by a 'smith and see what they say.

I usually find that I need to set the front of the sight down first until it snaps in place. Then it sits flush and the screws are tightened to 15"/lbs. The screws cannot protrude more than 0.95" on the Hellcat or you risk having problems. Properly mounted there should be no way for the sight to move as yours appears to do. I have mounters Romeo Zero's, RMSc and 507K with no issues but I dear to the screw length stated in the manual on page 21 and torque requirements as stated with the optic (varies from 9"/lbs to 15"/lbs depending on manufacture).

Anyone want to buy my Swampfox Sentinel? There's nothing wrong with it. I actually have 4 screws cut specifically for the Hellcat (9.6mm length), as anyone who's been following this entire thread knows. Reason is, I got a couple other guns right after the Hellcat that I've have been demanding all my attention. Will need money for upgrades/accessories for those. I think I only carried my Hellcat twice, shot it twice. The Sentinel isn't even mounted, it's sitting in the box with everything that comes with it :confused: .

How much would you sell it for? I bought the Romeo Zero and the very next day learned about Seamp Fox, but now the shop I bought the Romeo Zero won't take returns.

So would be interested but at a good price.

Also, where did you find the right length screws, or would you sell those?

Shot my Hellcat for the first time today. It handled well and I used the iron sights as my Riton wasn't zeroed correctly. Having my gunsmith replace the crummy red fiber optic front sight with a proper front night sight and have him zero in the red dot. I'm going to have him smooth the trigger just a bit as it seemed a little rough to me. Othetwise, so far, so good!

Hi guys, I received my Swampfox Sentinel (automatic model) this morning and just finished mounting it on my black Hellcat. I am super impressed with the sight, the quality is amazing and it looks excellent on my pistol. Installation went smoothly, no issues. I hope to go to the range soon and get it zeroed-in. I am very happy with the Sentinel!

If you get a Shield RMSc as I did (or the JPoint), you can purchase the correct screws directly from Springfield for $4.99. Just search for Hellcat accessories on their site. Those screws and a little blue Loctite 242 made installation a breeze. Just torque them to 15.49 inch lbs. as Shield recommends and give the Loctite 24 hours to completely set up and you're good to go. I went this route to avoid the problems seen on several threads on this forum and glad I did. As for the dust cover, I got 2 for $9.99 on Amazon from a company called Plastic Dreams which I use only for storage to extend battery life. They are soft neoprene covers and a perfect fit for my Hellcat. That company also makes covers for other red dots if you're looking for one.

Last edited:
New to the Site but can someone tell exactly what model of the shield red dot I need for my Hellcat? Best and lowest price? They say people with astigmatism have issues with red dots so what would I need 4, 6 or 8?
Thanks

TiTaN...you might want to review the thread. I've learned a lot from the comments and received good advicefrom the participants. I ended up buying a Riton X3 MPRD Tactix. It was a little cheaper than the Shield and Swampfox...I paid $199 for the manual with a 3 MOA. I have it at my local gunsmith to replace the front red fiber optic sight with a yellow night sight, zero the red dot, and he's checking the trigger pull to see if it needs a little smoothing.

New to the Site but can someone tell exactly what model of the shield red dot I need for my Hellcat? Best and lowest price? They say people with astigmatism have issues with red dots so what would I need 4, 6 or 8?
Thanks
Like you, I suffer from astigmatism. I have the Shield RMSc 4 MOA on my Hellcat and it's great so far for my senior citizen eyes. I would recommend going to your local gun shop and asking if they have any active red dots for you to look at. If that doesn't work out, go to a range with rentals, a local gun club, or a friend who has one. Also, talk to them about what you are planning to do with your Hellcat (carry, competition, range, etc.) as the larger the dot, the more it will cover your target as distance increases. Let your eyes be the final judge. Welcome to the forum! Shoot safely and often!

Last edited:
Back