testtest

Hellcat trigger issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you press the safety blade properly, as you should, it‘s a non issue. There are several other blade safety guns that will lock up the same way if not operated properly.

Thanks for posting TroyBoy30, interesting and helpful videos.

Why is this one the only one people are complaining about? I have a bunch of strikers. None of them have ever failed to go off when I press the trigger.

And again, in a self defense situation a lot of things can happen. When you’re on your back with some ape on top of you I’m sure you’re going to be thinking about correctly pressing the trigger.

I’ve never fired a Hellcat, but based on the inordinate amount of complaints about the trigger locking up there’s no way in hell I’d ever buy one for concealed carry. Which would be the only reason anyone would ever buy one.
The video touched upon a possible cause being large hand/trigger finger. My hands are large (but maybe somewhat smaller than some), and I have fired/carried the Hellcat just fine. It may come down to how small the Hellcat is, thus the trigger guard also being smaller than other compacts or even sub-compacts. Add to that the trigger safety blade, and you have larger fingers not always properly placed to pull both the blade and trigger simultaneously from a straight back position. There also seems to be an issue with the trigger guard being deformed if over tightening the retention screw on the Crossbreed Reckoning holster. Both Crossbreed and Springfield are aware of this, in fact one poster on this forum sent his Hellcat back to Springfield for them to examine after he experienced this issue. Perhaps SA needs to redesign the trigger guard to strengthen it and somewhat enlarge it so larger hands/finger can quickly access the trigger more easily. I don't know, just a thought on my part & nothing more.

Just my honest opinion but I don't like the bladed trigger safety. When they first started to be seen on the market I laughed to myself as I thought how stupid the idea was. I don't like them!

I own a KelTec PF9. It doesn't have a trigger safety and it also doesn't have a manual safety of any kind. I have never had any trouble out of it with thousands of hours of carrying it. I pull trigger , it goes bang , we are happy together.

I personally would like to pick up one of these Hellcats , that another person is having trouble with and has laid down , and see if it would fire for me. I would like to lay it down , pick it up and fire , over and over and see if it ever malfunctioned for me.

I would also like to be there when a malfunction occured and see just how the person was placing their finger on the trigger when the malfunction happened.

I have got to find a Hellcat in my LGS and try this trigger out.

If you press the safety blade properly, as you should, it‘s a non issue. There are several other blade safety guns that will lock up the same way if not operated properly.

Thanks for the post @TroyBoy30.
1) The guy in the video is sloooow but his point is valid (starts ~4:30m in). You can absolutely make other firearms lock up the same way.

2) @KLGunner’s point in a previous post definitely applies also. The first person to bring this to light is an avowed Springfield hater. He has openly, in FB fan forums we run and/or are members of, said he would do everything he can to destroy Springfield. There was not a single complaint about lockup before he dropped his video. That’s important because we all know that when you start driving a new car you suddenly see the same model everywhere, it’s called the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. Would others still have had the issue? Yes, in small numbers that are well within the tolerance of the laws of percentages (13% of people believe Elvis is alive).

3) This is a TINY gun. From what I’ve observed the majority of people having the problem have either never used a flat bladed trigger or have never shot a 9 mm this small. For these people the trigger issue is no different than the shooting low problem so many people “with years of shooting experience” are having because the deficiencies in their grip have been masked by the ergonomics of full size and compact pistols.

Ok, that’s my spiel. Now for more from the “Oh but’s”.

Proper trigger finger placement.

CAE95A96-17BF-4CE4-8F56-BE5F9013BE7A.jpeg

Using improper finger placement will put lateral pressure on the trigger and gun.

I've tried to induce this on my Hellcat by pushing laterally against the trigger with one finger on my opposite hand while actuating the trigger with my shooting hand and haven't been able to cause the problem.

My .02

Last edited:
3 weeks ago I went to the outdoor range with my S.A. 1911 Range Officer 45ACP this was the third time I shot the gun and on that day I put about 80 rounds through it. I had about 8-10 instances where I pulled the trigger and it wouldn’t fire. 🤔 the first couple times I cleared the gun, looked it over, saw no issues, reloaded and it shot fine. Two mags later same thing. I sat down and looked at everything. 🤔 what was I doing wrong?
After much thought I figured it out, I wasn’t standing correctly which made me not hold the gun correctly, the result was my hand was not fully in contact with the grip safety. I adjusted my stance which automatically corrected my grip, the result, no further issues.
Where I’m going with this is I didn’t blame the gun and I didn’t blame Springfield Armory, this was my issue nothing more.
My point.
I don’t own a HellCat but to those that do and are having issues? Maybe stop blaming the gun and or
Springfield Armory and start looking at yourself the shooter.
When the HellCat is being held by the shooter there are two safety devices, one is the trigger safety blade the other is the shooter, sit down and figure out what safety device is truly failing.

Yea let me make sure I have my finger in the only spot that works while someone else is shooting at me, I don’t care how much ammo you shoot at targets it’s not the same. In a stressful situation let me count to three while I make sure my finger is not putting any side leverage on the trigger. I personally have asked for a RMA from Springfield to make sure it is working properly as I personally do not think it is. And if they say it is and it works the same as before I guess Apex will have another customer and Springfield will lose another.

Yea let me make sure I have my finger in the only spot that works while someone else is shooting at me, I don’t care how much ammo you shoot at targets it’s not the same. In a stressful situation let me count to three while I make sure my finger is not putting any side leverage on the trigger. I personally have asked for a RMA from Springfield to make sure it is working properly as I personally do not think it is. And if they say it is and it works the same as before I guess Apex will have another customer and Springfield will lose another.

Ok everyone knows you don't like the trigger, let's move on. Others have also Made their points so let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back