testtest

Home Defense vs Concealed Carry Gun

My most likely home defense gun is the Sig P365 that I carry everyday, simply because it is probably going to be on my person or within reach. The majority of my training has been with handguns, and I have put enough rounds through the Sig to be fully comfortable with it.

My wife is less familiar with firearms and has had far less training. For that reason, the home defense gun I have for her is a 20 gauge shotgun. I figure that if the 13 rounds in my P365 aren't enough to resolve the situation, they should be enough to get me to the shotgun. I'm sure my wife won't mind if I borrow hers for a bit.
I agree. Home defense handgun should be the same handgun that's carried concealed.

I agree. Home defense handgun should be the same handgun that's carried concealed.

Well, the same as your "Rule" about not using shotguns as home defense weapons, you seem to gear your protocols to people who have zero training. In both cases I'd like to see some statistics that factually back up your assertions.

Well, the same as your "Rule" about not using shotguns as home defense weapons, you seem to gear your protocols to people who have zero training. In both cases I'd like to see some statistics that factually back up your assertions.
Go look for them.

You should begin your search with muscle memory, conditioned response, etc.

The Sig P239 was the off-duty version of the Sig P229. I love the EMP 3 because it functions identically as a full-size 1911-A1. Hence, there's no condition response miscues.

Go look for them.

You should begin your search with muscle memory, conditioned response, etc.

The Sig P239 was the off-duty version of the Sig P229. I love the EMP 3 because it functions identically as a full-size 1911-A1. Hence, there's no condition response miscues.

Drivel. Let's see some statistics of people being disarmed by home intruders.

My HD firearm is not the same as my concealed carry firearm... because:

1) my concealed carry firearm was chosen primarily due to its size and conceal-ability. It’s small and I’m not trying to reload during a home invasion.

2) my concealed carry firearm changes based on the season and what I’m wearing. I have one for winter and another for summer. Both firearms are similar but different manufacturers, different models, different calibers. Both are hammer-fired with decockers.

3) my HD firearm was not chosen based on size but on capacity...it’s big.

4) my HD firearm changes based on the season (intruders likely to be wearing coats in winter) and the room I’m in when intrusion occurs (if I’m downstairs, I might have my concealed carry gun or my .45, if I’m in Master bedroom, it might be my AR, etc).

I’m in my master bedroom right now so if I hear the windows crash in, I’m reaching for the AR (with my concealed carry firearm on a clip in my PJ pants). My t-shirt says ‘say hello to my little friend’.

My HD firearm is not the same as my concealed carry firearm... because:

1) my concealed carry firearm was chosen primarily due to its size and conceal-ability. It’s small and I’m not trying to reload during a home invasion.

2) my concealed carry firearm changes based on the season and what I’m wearing. I have one for winter and another for summer. Both firearms are similar but different manufacturers, different models, different calibers. Both are hammer-fired with decockers.

3) my HD firearm was not chosen based on size but on capacity...it’s big.

4) my HD firearm changes based on the season (intruders likely to be wearing coats in winter) and the room I’m in when intrusion occurs (if I’m downstairs, I might have my concealed carry gun or my .45, if I’m in Master bedroom, it might be my AR, etc).

I’m in my master bedroom right now so if I hear the windows crash in, I’m reaching for the AR (with my concealed carry firearm on a clip in my PJ pants). My t-shirt says ‘say hello to my little friend’.

This post exactly touches on my primary point every time this topic comes up. That is simply the word “ Compromise “.
In most cases a handgun is already a compromise. In a concealed carry situation even more so. CC weapons are chosen with size and concealability as one of the primary criteria. We try to balance it out with things like capacity, accuracy, comfort, etc. In my home there’s a completely different set of criteria to be considered. Maneuverability, capacity, muzzle energy, light conditions, speed of acquisition ( both acquiring the weapon to begin with and sight picture) and on and on.
In short the main compromise of a concealed carry gun is not relevant inside my home or on my property.

My home defense gun is definitely set up a bit differently than my CCW. I use my Springfield XD Mod 2 4-inch .45ACP with a Crimson Trace tac light for home defense. 14 rounds of .45ACP ready to go is very comforting, the XD is one of the smoothest shooting .45 ACP handguns I've ever owned. For CCW, I carry a S & W .45ACP Shield with fiber optic sights. I still like the .45ACP round and I've put enough rounds thru my Shield to know exactly how hit shoots, where to hold, what to expect as far as recoil, etc. If I happen to be attacked at home by a hord of zombies, I have my Colt SOCOM M4 ready to go with a bunch of 30 round p-mags pre-loaded but if it's that bad, I'm probably in danger of being overrun...lol

Bit of a different mentality when it comes to home defense vs. EDC. Not really worried about weight or the size of the weapon when it comes to home defense, but I wouldn't necessarily carry my XD 45 concealed, it's a bit heavy with a fully loaded mag and one in the chamber. The S&W Shield .45 is very streamlined and has a thin, 1911-ish profile which makes it ideal for IWB carry. You do sacrifice a few rounds, the Shield carries 7 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber gives you 8 rounds of .45ACP, and I always carry an extra 7-round mag on me, sometimes two of them if I'm wearing the right kind of clothing.

Also, if I'm wearing winter time clothing, I'll carry my CZ P10C with an extra 15 round mag. Without a doubt, it's one of the most accurate out of the box 9mm handguns I've owned, It's a bit bulky for summertime carry, but if I wear longer shirts then I can usually conceal it with the right holster. Mainly, I try to stick to .45ACP as far as EDC, I'm very used to how the Shield feels when I carry it and it's easy to conceal it with just about any clothing.

Last edited:
My home defense gun is definitely set up a bit differently than my CCW. I use my Springfield XD Mod 2 4-inch .45ACP with a Crimson Trace tac light for home defense. 14 rounds of .45ACP ready to go is very comforting, the XD is one of the smoothest shooting .45 ACP handguns I've ever owned. For CCW, I carry a S & W .45ACP Shield with fiber optic sights. I still like the .45ACP round and I've put enough rounds thru my Shield to know exactly how hit shoots, where to hold, what to expect as far as recoil, etc. If I happen to be attacked at home by a hord of zombies, I have my Colt SOCOM M4 ready to go with a bunch of 30 round p-mags pre-loaded but if it's that bad, I'm probably in danger of being overrun...lol

Bit of a different mentality when it comes to home defense vs. EDC. Not really worried about weight or the size of the weapon when it comes to home defense, but I wouldn't necessarily carry my XD 45 concealed, it's a bit heavy with a fully loaded mag and one in the chamber. The S&W Shield .45 is very streamlined and has a thin, 1911-ish profile which makes it ideal for IWB carry. You do sacrifice a few rounds, the Shield carries 7 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber gives you 8 rounds of .45ACP, and I always carry an extra 7-round mag on me, sometimes two of them if I'm wearing the right kind of clothing.

Also, if I'm wearing winter time clothing, I'll carry my CZ P10C with an extra 15 round mag. Without a doubt, it's one of the most accurate out of the box 9mm handguns I've owned, It's a bit bulky for summertime carry, but if I wear longer shirts then I can usually conceal it with the right holster. Mainly, I try to stick to .45ACP as far as EDC, I'm very used to how the Shield feels when I carry it and it's easy to conceal it with just about any clothing.

I also have an XD Mod 2 4" service model .45. It is one of the weapons currently staged in my home. I also carry it concealed in cold weather. My .45 Shield I carry often, just not at work. I carry a .40 Cal. Shield at work. I also carry a VP9, a couple of different 1911s and occasionally a Ruger .357 revolver in jacket weather.

I also have an XD Mod 2 4" service model .45. It is one of the weapons currently staged in my home. I also carry it concealed in cold weather. My .45 Shield I carry often, just not at work. I carry a .40 Cal. Shield at work. I also carry a VP9, a couple of different 1911s and occasionally a Ruger .357 revolver in jacket weather.
VP9 is on my wish list some point down the road. I've heard nothing but kudos for that handgun for several years now.

VP9 is on my wish list some point down the road. I've heard nothing but kudos for that handgun for several years now.

I was really after a P30L v1 but finding one in stock proved impossible so to hold me over in the mean time I bought a VP9. I’m not even really a 9mm guy but I live this pistol. Accurate AF, sweet trigger and awesome grips. I put TruGlo TFX Pros on it. You can also get the new one that’s cut for optic plates. I prefer irons on a carry gun though.

I was really after a P30L v1 but finding one in stock proved impossible so to hold me over in the mean time I bought a VP9. I’m not even really a 9mm guy but I live this pistol. Accurate AF, sweet trigger and awesome grips. I put TruGlo TFX Pros on it. You can also get the new one that’s cut for optic plates. I prefer irons on a carry gun though.
I really like the TFX Pro sights. I'm slowly as I can afford it going back and putting that specific sight set on all handguns. I've tried shooting a 9mm with a red dot attached, it just doesn't feel right to me. As far as EDC, I'll keep using iron sights. As long as I've been shooting, I can still get on target pretty quickly using iron sights. My rifle is different, anything out past about 25 yards, I need an optic, my eyesight is just this side of terrible, but close in I can still shoot pretty well with iron sights.

I have a bedroom gun, a CZ Phantom 9mm 18+1 with a laser. My wife likes electric candles in the windows so the house always has some light. I have shot the Phantom and carried it so it is familiar DA/SA with a CZ worked trigger, very nice. There is also a Mossberg tactical in the closet but I don't think that would be needed.

Around the house whatever my EDC for the day was sits near me watching TV, usually a H&K.

My EDC are a Hellcat and SA 911 .380. One of them always comes up to sit on the nightstand next to me. And I always have a Kimber ProCarryII in .45 in the dresser drawer. I put tritium sights on that, so it is always available with an extra mag next to it.

Back