testtest

Kimber and Springfield 1911s…

I am not going to get into a he said issues here, all mass produced guns will have some roughness and maybe, just maybe some small shavings, that’s quite normal in a mass produced gun, any manufacturer, I don’t dwell on small things like that, after break in, this goes away, I never tear down any of my 1911’s looking for this, I clean them, lube them and try to get them broken in, so in ending, I will comment no more, enjoy your guns, 1911’s can be addictive
See my comment just above about the nitpicking.

I did get bored while waiting on guns to travel the country in the mail. I did this to the Kimber 45. While I think the matte finish on the Kimber is very high for what it is, I prefer machined face on my flats. There was a lot of waviness in the slide. That gets hidden my the bead blast. Can’t hide that with a machine face. Took 8 hours to get it even and perfectly flat.

Original
3AF9CFF6-4C21-4D82-9AC6-D435603B3E9B.jpeg

After
87A2F5BC-2222-4D65-B21F-D408EC44E0BB.jpeg

Closeup
FC692BFC-A466-4E7D-B22F-6A926DA4A6B0.jpeg

Thanks for everyone's input. Some very good info and tips for me as I am new to 1911s.
My 3-week old Ronin EMP 3 now has almost 850 rounds through it, and I have experienced some FTFs, but seemingly associated with one of the two additional mags that I purchased from the SA shop. I will more closely monitor the "culprit mag" next time I visit the range.
Overall, the "grittiness" I experienced early on while racking the slide is now much less because of normal wear and tear, and more regular and frequent cleanings. However, next time I break down my REMP3 and clean it, I will be looking at things in a different light thanks to this thread.

Thanks for everyone's input. Some very good info and tips for me as I am new to 1911s.
My 3-week old Ronin EMP 3 now has almost 850 rounds through it, and I have experienced some FTFs, but seemingly associated with one of the two additional mags that I purchased from the SA shop. I will more closely monitor the "culprit mag" next time I visit the range.
Overall, the "grittiness" I experienced early on while racking the slide is now much less because of normal wear and tear, and more regular and frequent cleanings. However, next time I break down my REMP3 and clean it, I will be looking at things in a different light thanks to this thread.
Try the Mec Gar mags with the polymer followers if you can find them. Full support all the way to the chamber. Run about $18.

12678D9B-5006-48E0-9209-61E5D450913A.jpeg

F30E095A-3A41-4B8D-A2D1-513A15BCCDB3.jpeg

There was some contention over my complaining about the engraving on the bottom of the slide, so rather that just sit here and debate back and forth about who is right and who does this on a normal basis, I sanded the bottom of the slide until there were no more raised edges. That is the ONLY thing I did. I did not polish it, only sanded it.

I ran the same magazine that had 3 FTF and failed to lock back yesterday. those 7 rounds are the only rounds that have been through this gun up until now. I ran three full mags through it after sanding and had zero failures of any kind, reloading that same magazine each time. I ran 2 mags under rapid fire and 1 mag at the end slow and steady. Problem was solved.

springfield polished.jpg

There was some contention over my complaining about the engraving on the bottom of the slide, so rather that just sit here and debate back and forth about who is right and who does this on a normal basis, I sanded the bottom of the slide until there were no more raised edges. That is the ONLY thing I did. I did not polish it, only sanded it.

I ran the same magazine that had 3 FTF and failed to lock back yesterday. those 7 rounds are the only rounds that have been through this gun up until now. I ran three full mags through it after sanding and had zero failures of any kind, reloading that same magazine each time. I ran 2 mags under rapid fire and 1 mag at the end slow and steady. Problem was solved.

View attachment 26946
(y)What grit sandpaper did you use?

Got the invoice for the first Loaded that I sent back to Springfield for warranty work. This is the one that was shooting high. The installed a new rear sight. Should be here on Wednesday. I will test it and the new one after its delivered (weather permitting). I have a pistol rest to test with out on the range. Eliminate as much user error as possible. Will be a good time to test all 5. Its supposed to rain for 4 days straight so no promises it'll happen before the weekend.

1651535953844.png

Finally, I have my Loaded back from Springfield. I say that like it took forever but the truth is, I believe it was a little over 2 weeks, which is excellent turn around.

Started off my afternoon with a thorough cleaning and lube of all 5 guns.
9090A2F3-AEAE-4EF3-8F3A-D3C03A72B649.jpeg

At this point, everything looks good. Because the software on this sight can’t handle different width pictures in the same post, I will be breaking this up in multiple pieces.

Let’s start with the original Springfield Loaded California Compliant model in 45 ACP.
454B06D3-E701-471F-B843-692444AFE8D2.jpeg

Originally when I ran the first mag through this gun, it ran flawlessly. This is the one that was shooting 6”-6.5” high. I called Springfield, sent them a picture of the target. They sent the label. I dropped it off, couple weeks later, it’s shooting like a dream (well, after turning the trigger adjustment screw a few times 😉) Below is the target at 10 yards, grouping at a pretty darn good 5 shot group of 1”. This was 1 of 2 guns that actually hit the bullseye.
F545743B-B510-45FB-8DDC-C60F073BB159.jpeg

Now, lighting conditions were not great, this was shot just before twilight but good enough to see the targets clearly. I could not be happier with that result. I will be honest and say that it was difficult to tell the difference between the bullet holes and the bullseye in that light. It’s possible it could have done a little bit better. It is a 5/8” dot at 30 feet.

Last edited:
Let’s start with the original Springfield Loaded California Compliant model in 45 ACP.
View attachment 27134
Originally when I ran the first mag through this gun, it ran flawlessly. This is the one that was shooting 6”-6.5” high. I called Springfield, sent them a picture of the target. They sent the label. I dropped it off, couple weeks later, it’s shooting like a dream (well, after turning the trigger adjustment screw a few times 😉) Below is the target at 10 yards, grouping at a pretty darn good 5 shot group of 1.25”. This was 1 of 2 guns that actually hit the bullseye.
View attachment 27135
Now, lighting conditions were not great, this was shot just before twilight but good enough to see the targets clearly. I could not be happier with that result. I will be honest and say that it was difficult to tell the difference between the bullet holes and the bullseye in that light. It’s possible it could have done a little bit better. It is a 5/8” dot at 30 feet.
I was going through my safe today, and on my label for my Sig 1911, it states California Compliant and I live in Ohio….😬

Back