testtest

Kimber and Springfield 1911s…

I opened the Kimber 10mm again to look for obvious issues.

The only thing that jumped out right away was that to be a chunk of the feed ramp missing.

View attachment 27163
Here is the barrel next to the other 10mm barrel. The other side of that feed ramp doesn’t look so hot either.
View attachment 27164
I don’t know that this is the problem but it did seem like the rounds were favoring that upper left corner to get hung up. I’m sure this doesn’t help.
That’s disappointing but I’m sure Kimber will correct.

I picked up my Kimber from my LGS today after sending it to the factory then getting the call a few weeks later that it was back. When I opened the case. There was no list of tune ups, parts replacement or any other work that Kimber had done to the pistol! No shipping charge either even though it was past the warranty! 🤔 I found that a little strange. No info on repairs made at all. I'm wondering if anything was even wrong with the pistol and if it just needs more break in time? I expected some kind feed back at the least! I have yet to fire the pistol sense I picked it up about six hours ago.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of customer service with Kimber as far as feedback in reference to a returned pistol for repairs?

One thing I did notice was that the pistol has a new slide stop installed.
Well they did something at least. Although that is interesting that they wouldn’t of provided that information since it benefits them as well as you to do so. Was there a number involved in the return? Perhaps call and ask. But since my dad just bought a Kimber tle ii, I have been watching your posts on this. His is a 5-inch 45 so I am
Hoping he got the Kimber that just runs and runs and runs.

That is typical of Kimber I hate to say, just be glad they fixed it, when my Kimber Micro 9 hammer chipped where slide makes contact with the hammer and the guide rod got bent, all there CS stated was the hammer chipping was normal and the bent guide rod was my fault…..which the guide rod bent after a box of ammo, so I guess it was my fault for shooting the gun……

Well they did something at least. Although that is interesting that they wouldn’t of provided that information since it benefits them as well as you to do so. Was there a number involved in the return? Perhaps call and ask. But since my dad just bought a Kimber tle ii, I have been watching your posts on this. His is a 5-inch 45 so I am
That is typical of Kimber I hate to say, just be glad they fixed it, when my Kimber Micro 9 hammer chipped where slide makes contact with the hammer and the guide rod got bent, all there CS stated was the hammer chipping was normal and the bent guide rod was my fault…..which the guide rod bent after a box of ammo, so I guess it was my fault for shooting the gun……
Don't get me wrong. I don't think the problem with your pistol is funny. I think it's funny that Kimber blameed you! Not to much quality control on their be half in my opinion!

that's right it WAS your fault for shooting the gun you silly man.

guns are for looking at thru a glass display, fine factory assembly line IKEA made wooden cabinets, that YOU have to assemble...!!!!!.

Yes their was a number tape on the trigger guard. I'll definitely keep it in case I need to reference that repair to them. Should I have to talk to them again.

that's right it WAS your fault for shooting the gun you silly man.

guns are for looking at thru a glass display, fine factory assembly line IKEA made wooden cabinets, that YOU have to assemble...!!!!!.
FCA6085A-5B10-4FF8-BEB0-07F41672868D.gif

It’s inevitable that one day I’d compare a Springfield to a Kimber. I did not know it was going to cause me to buy several… although, I suspect I would have anyway.

In January I ordered my first Kimber Stainless II in 10mm. The only real complaints I had were that the slide rails had been bead blasted and every moving part on it was really gritty. Required a complete tear down and meticulous cleaning which took care of most of it but not all. After 50 rounds, you have to oil it because of breaking in those bead blasted slide rails, flush the gunk out.

I had also ordered a Springfield Loaded in 45. It was pretty gritty too but not near as bad as the Kimber was. Fit and finish was pretty good but it was the CA compliant model so the main spring caused all the action to be a little heavier. That was fine. I could fix that swapping the spring and housing out with a standard set. Sat in my safe untouched for a while, unfired.

Shortly after I received the Springfield, I saw the same Kimber Stainless II in 45, so I bought it too. Surprisingly, everything was nice and smooth on it. Like the first 2, fitment was pretty good. I decided I wanted to do a comparison between the Loaded and the Stainless II. Long story short, Kimber had the upper hand across the board.

Some of the comparison was unfair as I said, the Loaded was a CA model. Some of it was justified though. Simple things like radius on the hammer where it roll up under the slide. Trigger was a little smoother. Forward motion of the slide where it contacts the disconnector was smoother. Fitment was a tiny bit tighter. The big one was the Loaded was shooting 6” high at 25 yards.

Long story short, I halted any further comparison and I sent it back to Springfield for warranty work. It’s still with Springfield. It’s only been a couple weeks though. I expect it back in a week or two.

Meantime, Anniversary rolled around and wife wanted to buy me a new gun. Despite the minor flaws with the 10mm Kimber Stainless II, I ordered another. This one was between the other two Kimbers in overall smoothness. It did come with some obvious signs of filing during fitment of the slide to the frame. Even the bead blast finish didn’t hide it. Not horrible but still there. This gun has never been fired yet. Was just received this week. No ammo available to run it. I’ll have to load some.

While I was waiting for that last Kimber, I found another Springfield Loaded. Ended up paying $157 less than the first one. Today, I picked that one up. Also brought the Kimber 45 with me and headed over to the father in law’s.

The new Loaded was tight, like, super tight. I expect after breakin, it should be a solid shooter. We only got to shoot one mag each due to the rain. Not really aiming at anything special just function testing. The Kimber, despite only having just half a box of ammo through it, ram fine. The Springfield had 3 FTF and didn’t lock the slide on the last round. That prompted me to disassemble it and look deeper.

Turns out, there are numbers hand engraved on the bottom of the slide. Those numbers have raised edges, which have to pass right over the disconnector. It’s causing enough drag that the slide doesn’t have enough umph to strip a round about half the time. That’s got to be fixed before it ruins the top of the disconnector. It’s got constant upward pressure on it and those engravings a chewing away at it. I think it may be going back to Springfield as well but the jury is still deliberating on that. I’d like to at least do a quick accuracy test before I call them.

Picture of the stupidness…
View attachment 26934
That area should be pretty smooth given what it does.

It actually pains me a bit to have to write this stuff as I am a big fan of Springfield Armory but these are some pretty big blunders in my book.
Now philmo 11 you talk about buying California guns do you live in California or used to

Now philmo 11 you talk about buying California guns do you live in California or used to
Nope. They discontinued the Loaded which was on my list. The only one I could find at the time was the CA version. Later, the standard version cropped up so I bought it too. Despite it being exactly the same gun aside from the main spring housing, the standard version does not meet the standards.

Take note of the label on the standard 1911-A1 Loaded’s box
1D21BDDC-34C1-47D5-BC90-9DB09E125756.jpeg

I find the whole thing a bunch of nonsense.

Last edited:
Well, here we go…
The malfunctioning 10mm Kimber Stainless II is back. I wish I had good things to say, but unfortunately, there isn’t going to be much of that.

Here is the detailed description of the service that was performed.
CE74BA97-1A3B-4986-87B1-1A1E8D8BC8D4.jpeg

So, instead of replacing the barrel with the chunks missing out of it, the ground it down further and attempted to make it work.

The barrel after service.

Plant Gas Bicycle part Cylinder Grass

Attempting to “fix” a defective barrel instead of replacing it on a $900 gun automatically gets you a “C” grade. That’s assuming it actually works.

The issues with the filing marks in the slide were not addressed at all.

The slide when returned.
BEA199C1-83FA-4F53-B7DA-94A995B291B7.jpg

That gets us down to a “D” grade on the warranty work for failing to correct manufacturing defects that were clearly pointed out.

How did it perform?

In short, I didn’t get through a single magazine without a failure. First failure was a failure to feed. Second failure was that the slide locked back mid magazine.

Failing to function with off the shelf factory ball ammo after warranty service, you get an “F” for warranty service.

Well, here we go…
The malfunctioning 10mm Kimber Stainless II is back. I wish I had good things to say, but unfortunately, there isn’t going to be much of that.

Here is the detailed description of the service that was performed.
View attachment 27455

So, instead of replacing the barrel with the chunks missing out of it, the ground it down further and attempted to make it work.

The barrel after service.

Plant Gas Bicycle part Cylinder Grass

Attempting to “fix” a defective barrel instead of replacing it on a $900 gun automatically gets you a “C” grade. That’s assuming it actually works.

The issues with the filing marks in the slide were not addressed at all.

The slide when returned.
View attachment 27456

That gets us down to a “D” grade on the warranty work for failing to correct manufacturing defects that were clearly pointed out.

How did it perform?

In short, I didn’t get through a single magazine without a failure. First failure was a failure to feed. Second failure was that the slide locked back mid magazine.

Failing to function with off the shelf factory ball ammo after warranty service, you get an “F” for warranty service.
that sucks big time sorry about that

Hate to say this but that’s typical Kimber CS, I like there guns but there CS needs a lot of work, at least they didn’t say the chip was normal like they told me on the Micro 9 and they didn’t blame you either…..hope it works out for you

Hate to say this but that’s typical Kimber CS, I like there guns but there CS needs a lot of work, at least they didn’t say the chip was normal like they told me on the Micro 9 and they didn’t blame you either…..hope it works out for you
This type of thing is why I post reviews. I don’t get anything out of this. There’s no shortage of people who will blow fairy dust up your rear in support of a gun because they like the brand, are embarrassed to admit it wasn’t perfect or are just plain sponsored to do so. Not everyone likes what I have to say all the time, especially when it’s in response to a brand they support, but I’ll take the hits to be as honest and transparent as possible.

I honestly never thought I’d have to send any gun back to the manufacturer when this started. Certainly not one from each, BUT, we got a good sampling and got an opportunity to show what support was like after the purchase. That’s incredibly important for the lifetime of ownership of your firearm.

Plenty weren’t happy when I posted the issues on here with the Springfield Loadeds but Springfield stepped up as a manufacturer and made the correction without a hassle. Credit where it’s due. That is the second time I have had a Springfield sent back and I can’t say enough good things about the service I’ve experienced. Anyone who took the time to read this thread in it’s entirety should feel confident that if something does go wrong, they’ll make it right.

I can’t say the same for Kimber at this point. Everything that I shared here was also shared pretty much verbatim on a similar Kimber forum. No shortage of comments when Springfield had issues. I thought for sure the last update would kick open a hornets nest, been bracing for the onslaught of attacks but it’s gone silent for the last 8 hours. If Kimber had done the right thing after spending $900 on their product, the hassle of an hour round trip to ship it back, drafting a detailed account with photos, wasted ammo and time spent without my firearm, they’d be getting credit too, but they didn’t, so here we are.

I was hopeful this would be over by now but since it won’t be for a little while, there is finally a third Springfield I will be adding to this that is sitting at my FFL. It’s a stainless Garrison 9mm.

Last edited:
Back