testtest

Kimber and Springfield 1911s…

Next up is the second Springfield Loaded in 45 ACP. This is the version that was recently discontinued. It does not have the pesky lock in the main spring housing that the CA model has.
4CD06985-F1D7-4C4D-8B4D-6AD16ED34237.jpeg

This gun did not do great on the first magazine. Had 3 out of 7rds that failed to feed and the slide did not lock back on the empty mag. As mentioned previously, I sanded the engraved area on the bottom of the slide, ran 3 more magazines through it and it ran flawlessly.

Below is the target at 10 yards shot immediately after the previous target. This gun shot an incredible 5 shot group under an inch.
47E22510-7B9B-4B67-ABE9-BC93CFC22617.jpeg

Next, is the Kimber Stainless II in 45 ACP. This gun was an excellent example from Kimber. No issues with it so far. As mentioned in previous posts, I sanded the slide and removed the matte. The original finish was very well done but I preferred the machined slide look.
85D32758-6330-41FA-8BFD-58BFAD12C287.jpeg

This gun when originally tested ran flawlessly. As expected, it performed very well today as well shooting a 5 shot group at under 1”. It still shot a little left as it originally did. That can be fixed with a slight sight drift.
84D2CCFA-747C-44EA-86D2-A0F1D11107B3.jpeg

If you can’t tell by the photo, I toned down the sheen on the slide with a light dry sand with 600 grit.

Next is my newest Kimber Stainless II in 10mm. This was my anniversary present from the wife. Pictured in its original state. This gun had never been fired until today.
8CF19DE3-04F9-433B-A285-0E1A932E3652.jpeg

The good news is, it grouped well for a 5 shot group at roughly 1.25”. Fired in the same conditions immediately following the initial 3. It appears that a slight drift might be necessary as it favored right.
80272705-0109-4D92-8BB4-2C4EF300CBBE.jpeg

The bad news, every single round tested failed to feed except the initial chamber. I thought I heard some sounds that indicated the mag may have been binding so I changed ammo and changed the mag to an unbranded mag that worked in the other Kimber 10mm. That did not fix the issue. The first round chamber failed to feed as well as 3 of the 4 remaining rounds. So far, there have only been the 2 rounds that fed properly.

Last but not least, my original Kimber Stainless II in 10mm. Identical to the one above. This gun had a lot of grit inside when I first received it. After a deep cleaning, it still was a bit rough in the action. This is the only gun of the 5 being looked at that has had 30rds through it. It was around 80rds during this test.
24BF5A12-390B-4D47-A483-6BBD8C4FC579.jpeg

Issues with this gun are small. It requires frequent cleaning during breakin, as all the Kimbers do. Again, two bead blasted surfaces rubbing together produces more byproduct that requires flushing out. This one was a bit rougher than the others with the slide movement and the action.

The good news is, it also grouped very well at around 1”.
171F6F6C-FF3C-4E7D-A5B2-50F524998219.jpeg

Interesting read appreciate the information and nice shooting! I have a Springfield RO compact and a new operator both have the engravings that match the serial number. Although I haven’t had any issues with the RO compact, I did have 1 ftf on the operator at around 150 rounds. Granted it was once and on a brand new Wilson combat 10 round mag. It hasn’t happened since and I have used the mag multiple times. Glad see Springfield fixed the issue for you, it’s nice when a company stands by their service.

Well, I think this might be the "new normal" for a while.
As I have stated in previous posts, I am in manufacturing, I print labels on a printing press. I have been in the printing field for over 20 years, manufacturing over 30. I have never seen things like this. Material shortages, material allotment, transportation issues, all these things have created the "perfect storm".

We were having a discussion the other day at work about a job I was getting ready to produce. Our art department guy was talking about how he was walking through the store and just happened to glance at a box of cereal on the shelf. He noticed that there was a lot of trash in the black print on the box. And it was glaringly obvious, even to the untrained eye. There are reasons for this.

In manufacturing, you have certain standards to maintain, one of the most important being quality control. In the "good old days" (think @ 2 years ago) quality control standards were such that a certain amount of waste was acceptable to maintain quality. There were times when issues arose that drove the waste up until the issue was corrected, and the product was sorted through to pick out what was "acceptable" to go to the customer while the rest was trashed. Manufacturing is driven by production and waste. Production is based on industry standards of setup time, run time, downtime, waste, quality. This is all based on material supply and costs, along with man hours, etc.

You already have stress trying to meet minimum production standards, especially with equipment problems, etc. Now we have not only supply chain issues, we now have to meet the same production standards with less material, less time, less waste and less manpower than ever. Never have I seen the printing industry like this. Sure, we had some delays of getting materials due to acts of nature, accidents, etc. Those would be maybe a day or two. Now? The industry is now being allotted paper. We cannot take on any new customers, or produce a new label for the same customer if it cuts into those allotments. Even the paper manufacturers cannot take on any new clients. And to make matters worse, a lot of companies, including my company, are having our allotments pushed out as much as 6 months away! They are doing this to the smaller companies more so than the larger ones.

So, with the firearms manufacturers, not only are they probably going through the same issues, their demand has increased exponentially due to this administration and the increased violence and cutting back of policing. More people are buying firearms than ever before. This is taxing an already volatile situation. Being in production, you are now stressed out trying to meet even more stringent production demands. You are pushed to produce more with less waste and less mistakes. This leads to more mistakes, more quality issues and more waste. Now the companies are in a position to where their quality standards are having to be modified as far as what is and isn't acceptable. "Minor" imperfections that should be filed down, re-bead blasted, etc. are being re-classified as "acceptable", to be addressed by customer service at a later date. Companies have to do this to make any money, as the prices have gone up exponentially on top of the supply shortages/delays.

I apologize for the long post. This is just what I am not only witnessing, but experiencing personally in my daily workday in the industry. Will things get back to "normal"? I hope so. But for now, we kind of have to have a little more patience and understanding with the products we purchase, not including food safety of course. Never in my 30 plus years in manufacturing have I seen it like this.
Great insight. Thanks!!

Very informative thread. I have two 1911's a RIA and a Kimber. I was having several FTF with my Kimber well after The required "Break In" period. I would clean and oil it. Then it would seem to work fine for a while then start malfunctioning again. I don't know a whole lot about 1911's. Not much at all really, except for the history of the Iconic Pistol. I really enjoy shooting the 1911. It feels like I'm shooting a part of history every time I fire the weapon. Just like my SA M1A feels when I fire it! I sent my Kimber back to the factory for a closer look. I got the call from my LGS that the pistol is back and ready for pickup. Im anxious to go pick it up and see if the FTF problem has been corrected.

Many, many moons ago I picked up a Kimber Custom, original one, not the Custom II, ate everything, so I picked up the Custom II when they came out, FTF every time even after 600 rounds, finally the gun broke in and was ok, Kimber’s can be finicky, really no issues with the Springfield’s

Very informative thread. I have two 1911's a RIA and a Kimber. I was having several FTF with my Kimber well after The required "Break In" period. I would clean and oil it. Then it would seem to work fine for a while then start malfunctioning again. I don't know a whole lot about 1911's. Not much at all really, except for the history of the Iconic Pistol. I really enjoy shooting the 1911. It feels like I'm shooting a part of history every time I fire the weapon. Just like my SA M1A feels when I fire it! I sent my Kimber back to the factory for a closer look. I got the call from my LGS that the pistol is back and ready for pickup. Im anxious to go pick it up and see if the FTF problem has been corrected.
I think that the tighter the tolerances get, the more susceptible they are to other influences, like carbon fouling and byproduct from breakin. I don't know which Kimber you have and I won't pretend to diagnose a problem without seeing it but that metal byproduct becomes like a paste that has a grit to it. The more you you run it the more it builds up. likewise, the tighter its fit together, the more drag that byproduct puts on the slide.

The last Kimber I posted after about 40-50 rounds, requires it to be flushed out in the slide rails or it becomes unreliable to the point it won't chamber a round without a bump on the back of the slide. Clean and lube and it goes back to normal. It was starting to get sluggish a second time around 80rds. Clean and lube again and its fine.

In the case with the second Loaded, it was already pretty tight so that extra drag on the bottom of the slide was just enough to push it over the limit into unreliable. Remove that from the equation and it runs great.

I have had 15 1911s I think. These I posted had the most issues out of the box. Those others didn't have as tight a fitment and to date, haven't had reliability issues. I wore out a mag once but that was easily fixed. That gun was a Metro Arms that has been over 2,000rd and had never seen a malfunction until then. It has a very good fitment but it's hard chrome so its not really creating that byproduct from breakin like stainless on stainless does. I can run 300 or 400 rounds without a cleaning and it just keeps ticking.

I think that the tighter the tolerances get, the more susceptible they are to other influences, like carbon fouling and byproduct from breakin. I don't know which Kimber you have and I won't pretend to diagnose a problem without seeing it but that metal byproduct becomes like a paste that has a grit to it. The more you you run it the more it builds up. likewise, the tighter its fit together, the more drag that byproduct puts on the slide.

The last Kimber I posted after about 40-50 rounds, requires it to be flushed out in the slide rails or it becomes unreliable to the point it won't chamber a round without a bump on the back of the slide. Clean and lube and it goes back to normal. It was starting to get sluggish a second time around 80rds. Clean and lube again and its fine.

In the case with the second Loaded, it was already pretty tight so that extra drag on the bottom of the slide was just enough to push it over the limit into unreliable. Remove that from the equation and it runs great.

I have had 15 1911s I think. These I posted had the most issues out of the box. Those others didn't have as tight a fitment and to date, haven't had reliability issues. I wore out a mag once but that was easily fixed. That gun was a Metro Arms that has been over 2,000rd and had never seen a malfunction until then. It has a very good fitment but it's hard chrome so its not really creating that byproduct from breakin like stainless on stainless does. I can run 300 or 400 rounds without a cleaning and it just keeps ticking.
Its a Custom II TLE RL. If Kimber hasn't fixed the problem? Is this something I can expect to continue to happen? Or do you think it will eventually start cycling without issue once the tight fitting parts start to wear in?

Its a Custom II TLE RL. If Kimber hasn't fixed the problem? Is this something I can expect to continue to happen? Or do you think it will eventually start cycling without issue once the tight fitting parts start to wear in?
Like I said, I hesitate to take a stab over a chat. I am happy to diagnose and share my own issues/resolutions because I have it in hand to evaluate. Personally, I would wait for it come back, look at the list of things that were done to it and test it out. In the end, a well fit gun will wear slower and be more accurate longer because its well fit. They will all reach a breakin at some point. The most helpful thing I can offer is keep it clean/oiled and if the problem persists, have it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. There are a lot of remedies out there but I hesitate to tell someone to grab polishing compound, sandpaper or a die grinder and go to work without knowing what the cause of the issue really is.

R
Like I said, I hesitate to take a stab over a chat. I am happy to diagnose and share my own issues/resolutions because I have it in hand to evaluate. Personally, I would wait for it come back, look at the list of things that were done to it and test it out. In the end, a well fit gun will wear slower and be more accurate longer because its well fit. They will all reach a breakin at some point. The most helpful thing I can offer is keep it clean/oiled and if the problem persists, have it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. There are a lot of remedies out there but I hesitate to tell someone to grab polishing compound, sandpaper or a die grinder and go to work without knowing what the cause of the issue really is.
Roger that, and understood. Thankyou for the advice. Much appreciated! 👍

I opened the Kimber 10mm again to look for obvious issues.

The only thing that jumped out right away was that to be a chunk of the feed ramp missing.

F9D1E9AD-4D29-4E1A-A16B-1B4B482F448A.jpg

Here is the barrel next to the other 10mm barrel. The other side of that feed ramp doesn’t look so hot either.
77BFF1C7-ECA3-4D6C-A829-12421A090E1C.jpeg

I don’t know that this is the problem but it did seem like the rounds were favoring that upper left corner to get hung up. I’m sure this doesn’t help.

I opened the Kimber 10mm again to look for obvious issues.

The only thing that jumped out right away was that to be a chunk of the feed ramp missing.

View attachment 27163
Here is the barrel next to the other 10mm barrel. The other side of that feed ramp doesn’t look so hot either.
View attachment 27164
I don’t know that this is the problem but it did seem like the rounds were favoring that upper left corner to get hung up. I’m sure this doesn’t help.
I'd send that thing back immediately.

Back