testtest

M1A Hunting ammo

I still believe that this rifle was not invented to go hunting with. Its an Infantry rifle! Need to use gun that was designed for specific purpose.
My FN FAL has dropped 2 deer over the years while hunting hogs during deer season.

.308 is a .308 whether the rifle is a bolt action or semi auto.
My Weatherby .270 has a 24” barrel and a M1A has a 22” barrel.

A M1A is as suited to hunt with as any “deer rifle”.

Its heavier, and that’s the only drawback.
Good gun to hunt hogs with, just havent used it on deer ..yet
D258A13C-303A-4885-9FEC-1810B037783D.jpeg

Last edited:
My FN FAL has dropped 2 deer over the years while hunting hogs during deer season.

.308 is a .308 whether the rifle is a bolt action or semi auto.
My Weatherby .270 has a 24” barrel and a M1A has a 22” barrel.

A M1A is as suited to hunt with as any “deer rifle”.

Its heavier, and that’s the only drawback.
Good gun to hunt hogs with, just havent used it on deer ..yet
View attachment 30947
Well armed 3 musketeers.

Per Merriam-Webster a gun/firearm is indeed a weapon, and there are several ways in which the word "weapon" can be used that have nothing to do with harming anyone. What a firearm is not is a TOY, and should never be addressed as such. Just my opinion of course.
John Wick defines what is tools and weapons. More often how it's used.

The range suggested the sig full copper hollow tip… similar to this; however from what I’ve read in another forum is the muzzle velocity should not exceed 2800 fps.

I’ve also read a forum that claimed they spoke to SA about that specific ammo and stated not to use it bc the stress it causes on parts.

My M1A is a .308.

Thanks for the welcoming.

On a side note; I had to send in my brand new M1A to SA due to after first shooting it 25/40 rounds had light primer strikes… and failure to fire. Hopefully get it back soon.
Following this post I did some digging in some articles on the M1A posted by SA the article I read was about a torture test of a synthetic stocked standard version in .308, the test, 15,000 rounds in 5 days, the ammunition, Federal/American Eagle 150 Grain FMJ
Muzzle Velocity 2820 with no unusual wear or breakage, now I do understand the Sig ammo I’m shooting is 2900 MV I’m confident the higher velocity ammunition I’m using in the amount of rounds I’m putting through my M1A will not result in any serious premature wear.

Following this post I did some digging in some articles on the M1A posted by SA the article I read was about a torture test of a synthetic stocked standard version in .308, the test, 15,000 rounds in 5 days, the ammunition, Federal/American Eagle 150 Grain FMJ
Muzzle Velocity 2820 with no unusual wear or breakage, now I do understand the Sig ammo I’m shooting is 2900 MV I’m confident the higher velocity ammunition I’m using in the amount of rounds I’m putting through my M1A will not result in any serious premature wear.
It’s not the velocity as much as the pressure curve, iirc. Similar to the issues with Garands and commercial .30-06.

So I should be focusing on the
Ft-pounds rating’s?
You should be concerned with PSI more than ft lbs. Ft lbs is the impact of a particular bullet while PSI is the operating pressure of the round. 7.62 NATO operates as 60,000 PSI while 308 is 62,000. Close enough to not cause damage in an M1A but far enough apart that I'll NEVER use 308 in my 2A1 Ishapore an older and much weaker action design. Hotter high velocity 308s designed for bolt actions can damage the gas system of an M1A.

Here’s the ammunition warning I received with the manual for my James River Armory / Bula Defense M14 that was built off the original U.S. Army M14 blueprints. It looks like my SA NM M1A, but specifically called out the ammunition that is to be used. Photos of manual cover and ammunition warning page attached.

823D08FC-6B55-4D03-9BB6-A94944ECBF6D.jpeg
DFC83BAE-4EC5-46D3-A6DB-52348B7F0E00.jpeg

Here’s the ammunition warning I received with the manual for my James River Armory / Bula Defense M14 that was built off the original U.S. Army M14 blueprints. It looks like my SA NM M1A, but specifically called out the ammunition that is to be used. Photos of manual cover and ammunition warning page attached.

View attachment 30980View attachment 30981
That second page sums things up quite nicely.

It’s not the velocity as much as the pressure curve, iirc. Similar to the issues with Garands and commercial .30-06.
As per HGs comment the pressure curve is what can affect the op rod. Too much pressure on the op rod (the weak link) can cause it to bend out of spec.

That will result in getting a new op rod, or sending it to the very few folks that know how to restore it to spec.

Getting a Schuster adjustable gas plug and tuning it to the desired non-mil spec ammo is a lot cheaper.

The same applies to the M1 Garand and Schuster makes a adjustable plug for it also.

As per HGs comment the pressure curve is what can affect the op rod. Too much pressure on the op rod (the weak link) can cause it to bend out of spec.

That will result in getting a new op rod, or sending it to the very few folks that know how to restore it to spec.

Getting a Schuster adjustable gas plug and tuning it to the desired non-mil spec ammo is a lot cheaper.

The same applies to the M1 Garand and Schuster makes a adjustable plug for it also.
I dropped one into my M1A.

My Garands are original, though…but I’ve got a few thousand rounds of .30, M2 Ball, so…I’m good there.

Back