testtest

M1A Hunting ammo

And so did I previously.

The bottom line is, believe what you want based on available information.

If you have any doubts, go with the safest option especially for the M1A and M1G since their operating systems are dated and have their weaknesses.

The simple answer is the CMP posts something very confusing and people loose their minds. The CMP should have never said what they said.

In essence it said pretty much all SAAMI spec ammo is fine and that you only have to worry about bullet weight if it exceeds SAAMI spec.

I don't work on opinions I work on facts. And prior to 2010 or so no one really cared about this because it had never been an issue ( and it still isn't).
Or, quite likely, the CMP and others know what they are talking about, and you, an anonymous nobody on the internet, do not.

And so did I previously.

The bottom line is, believe what you want based on available information.

If you have any doubts, go with the safest option especially for the M1A and M1G since their operating systems are dated and have their weaknesses.
Boy you sure watched those videos fast...lol

Or, quite likely, the CMP and others know what they are talking about, and you, an anonymous nobody on the internet, do not.
Except the CMP posts a warning using CUP pressure references which is out dated and then threw in a random bullet weight (172gr) then a few hours later changing it to 172-174gr.

So yeah...they are really on top of it.
It would be nice if showed everyone what info they based their "warning" on...

Boy you sure watched those videos fast...lol
I don't get my firearms knowledge from unknown YouTube entertainers like apparently you do. I already knew the facts & didn't waste my time watching vids pulled out of thin air.

Last edited:
I don't get my firearms knowledge from unknown YouTube entertainers like apparently you do. I already knew the facts & didn't waste my time watching vids pulled out of thin air.
So by your own admission you didn't watch the vids that showed the facts and they came to be presented as such......
that means you will remain ignorant on this topic and I suppose you will keep your head in the sand every time you are shown something that goes against what you "know"....

So by your own admission you didn't watch the vids that showed the facts and they came to be presented as such......
that means you will remain ignorant on this topic and I suppose you will keep your head in the sand every time you are shown something that goes against what you "know"....
Having owned, competed with at the collegiate and DCM/CMP levels, and maintained/rebuilt a couple dozen + M1Gs and M1As since the early 80's I'm very well experienced with both platforms.

You admitted that you didn't think much about the factual info I posted so you're admitting your own ignorance/slanted point of view.

Like I said earlier, the bottom line is, believe what you/any user wants based on available information.

If anyone, and especially new owner/operators, have any doubts, go with the safest option especially for the M1A and M1G since their operating systems are dated and have their weaknesses.

Having owned, competed with at the collegiate and DCM/CMP levels, and maintained/rebuilt a couple dozen + M1Gs and M1As since the early 80's I'm very well experienced with both platforms.

You admitted that you didn't think much about the factual info I posted so you're admitting your own ignorance/slanted point of view.

Like I said earlier, the bottom line is, believe what you/any user wants based on available information.

If anyone, and especially new owner/operators, have any doubts, go with the safest option especially for the M1A and M1G since their operating systems are dated and have their weaknesses.
Welcome to the club! I've also been a long time competitor and collector and builder of garands.

I dismissed your [cough] "factual" information because it was wrong. That why I said posting that article and claiming it's factual is misinformation.

The authors should be ashamed for their lack of research before posting that drivel.

You do see where their errors are... right?

I mean with your claimed vast year's of experience you should immediately see the problems in that article.

I think folks new to the platforms & not aware of their idiosyncrasies should be given the safest information until they develop the knowledge & experience to decide what they want to feed their rifles.

Op rods aren't as plentiful and they're not priced right like they used to, and there's very few folks out there anymore that knows how to repair bent op rods when some feed their rifles ammo that's not suited for them.

End of story.

CMP knows what they're talking about when they issued this warning.

1665975553196.png

The maximum pressure allowed by Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute (SAAMI) specifications is 60,000 psi or 50,000 cup.

This exceeds the CMP warning.

Last edited:
I think folks new to the platforms & not aware of their idiosyncrasies should be given the safest information until they develop the knowledge & experience to decide what they want to feed their rifles.

Op rods aren't as plentiful and they're not priced right like they used to, and there's very few folks out there anymore that knows how to repair bent op rods when some feed their rifles ammo that's not suited for them.

End of story.
The safest thing to do with new garand owner's is to TEACH them the facts .. especially about proper maintenance and lubrication.

The oprod is damaged due to lack of lubrication not the commercial/milsurp ammo you shoot.

End of story.

The bottom line is that the USGI .30-06 and commercial .30-06 are different loads.

Buying ammunition manufactured for and marked as such on the box for use in an M1 Garand is a good idea.

Loading ammunition using load data, on or near maximum standard 30-06 Springfield for an M1 Garand is not a good idea.

Loading 30-06 Springfield using load data considered safe for an M1 Garand is a good idea. Doing otherwise is unsafe.

End of story.

CMP knows what they're talking about when they issued this warning.

View attachment 31619

The maximum pressure allowed by Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute (SAAMI) specifications is 60,000 psi or 50,000 cup.

This exceeds the CMP warning.
You need to stop editing your posts after they have been replied to...

Your pdf file doesn't contradict the CMP "warning". Unless you have a specific sentence that does....I haven't seen it.

The bottom line is that the USGI .30-06 and commercial .30-06 are different loads. Buying ammunition manufactured for and marked as such on the box for use in an M1 Garand is a good idea. Loading ammunition using load data, on or near maximum standard 30-06 Springfield for an M1 Garand is not a good idea. Loading 30-06 Springfield using load data considered safe for an M1 Garand is a good idea.
Please explain how different commercial ammo is compared to milsurp ammo.

Specifically how different are they?

It's as clear as a bell in the pdf.

It's as clear as a bell in the pdf.

Right. .. which is exactly what CMP said...

CMP just all said SAAMI spec is fine.

Same thing I said.

Back