testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

actually i do believe i will have to do some sort of "bracing". but my situation is this, one one wall, i have a brick support column, and very little actual wooden area to support bracing, that's one area.

in another room, i have a 20 amp electrical wall socket, (for a portable heater, fan, coffee maker, etc) but NO room to put the bench up against that wall, or even near by.

in another room, it faces the city street, ground level, and only one overhead light bulb, and limited wall spacing.

living in an old Victorian home, limits what and where i can do this, and i simply cannot take this equipment up into the house, as the only real "spare room" is reserved for when the grand kids do a "sleep over"........

so even though the equipment is "due" to arrive this saturday, i have way more things to figure out.
If you have a poured concrete floor, you can install anchors in the floor to mount brackets for vertical bracing of sorts. Older houses tend to have vertical support posts in the basement for the main floor...you could bracket to one of them. Or you could install one...they make adjustable posts that can be anchored to the floor and a threaded post on top can wedge it in place. Several options, maybe none is perfect, but might get you by...bricks don't take concrete anchors very well, but you could frame around the brick column, then you'd have studs to screw in to...let us know how you proceed, please. And you might not need to brace the bench...you'll know soon enough.

If you have a poured concrete floor, you can install anchors in the floor to mount brackets for vertical bracing of sorts. Older houses tend to have vertical support posts in the basement for the main floor...you could bracket to one of them. Or you could install one...they make adjustable posts that can be anchored to the floor and a threaded post on top can wedge it in place. Several options, maybe none is perfect, but might get you by...bricks don't take concrete anchors very well, but you could frame around the brick column, then you'd have studs to screw in to...let us know how you proceed, please. And you might not need to brace the bench...you'll know soon enough.
all wooden floors in the cellar (basement) only concrete flooring is in the 2 "boiler" rooms. the vertical supports for my house are brick, and walled in on both sides, meaning, no way to wrap anything around them.

i do have (as i mentioned earlier i'm a saver or is it a hoarder?) some metal brackets, which are very thick, and i'd just have to bend at least one, which is doable.

yeah, until i can set up the press, and "test run" it with empty shells, that's when i'll know for sure.

there are times when things work out, and times when adjustments have to be made.

ok, you guys ain't gonna believe this.......:poop:

but first, this is what YOU will believe..

i went to the range, took my Python, and 1 box of 38 reloaded ammo, and 1 box of 357 ammo. it's been since maybe December when i took my Python, and frankly, i did incredibly well however, the RSO, put up a new cardboard backing, looks like a human silhouette. so i have no pics.

ok, now the :poop: you ain't gonna believe.

i told the RSO that my Lee pro 4000 is coming this saturday.....

this is the very same RSO, that has a vibrating case cleaner for sale, i told you about that, in i think my first posting.

but get this, he not only reduced the pricing, but here is what i'll be getting, 2 Frankford Arsenal vibrating cleaners, media, that "tumbler" to shake loose the media, a RCBS balance scale (NIB) , a Frankford Arsenal digital scale, then we talked gun powder, i told him someone here mentioned 231.....he said he has 2 un-opened pounds of Power Pistol powder....

we agreed on a price....

then he said, he wanted to sell HIS Dillon 550c, (less than 1 year old) but there are NO dies, all he has is the conversion kits for .45 ACP AND 9MM....

plus, 9mm brass, plus 9mm lead ball bullets....

all mentioned items..........

all for the unbelievable price of.........

$650...........!!!!!!

what do you think i said.....????

nope........

i was happy with what i was getting from Lee...........

get real guys........

I JUMPED ON THAT :poop: LIKE FLIES TO :poop:

i get everything next monday

so now, my plans have suddenly changed..

i will put on order the dies from Dillion, UNLESS any other dies set can be used with a 550c..????

then, i'll use the Lee for .45 ACP, since that's the way it is coming, and the Dillon for 9mm......

Jesus H. Christ......

i been wanting to hit the lottery...........

i went to the range, took my Python, and 1 box of 38 reloaded ammo, and 1 box of 357 ammo. it's been since maybe December when i took my Python, and frankly, i did incredibly well however, the RSO, put up a new cardboard backing, looks like a human silhouette. so i have no pics.

this is the very same RSO, that has a vibrating case cleaner for sale, i told you about that, in i think my first posting.

but get this, he not only reduced the pricing, but here is what i'll be getting, 2 Frankford Arsenal vibrating cleaners, media, that "tumbler" to shake loose the media, a RCBS balance scale (NIB) , a Frankford Arsenal digital scale, then we talked gun powder, i told him someone here mentioned 231.....he said he has 2 un-opened pounds of Power Pistol powder....

we agreed on a price....

then he said, he wanted to sell HIS Dillon 550c, (less than 1 year old) but there are NO dies, all he has is the conversion kits for .45 ACP AND 9MM....

$650...........!!!!!!

nope........

get real guys........

i will put on order the dies from Dillion, UNLESS any other dies set can be used with a 550c..????

then, i'll use the Lee for .45 ACP, since that's the way it is coming, and the Dillon for 9mm......

Jesus H. Christ......

I'll check and see what extra dies I have for both cartridges and just give them too you! I should have the powder funnel (which should be in the caliber conversion), seat/crimp (1 die station), 1 powder die for mounting auto powder and maybe a size/decap? The powder die will be the same for both (and most pistol and rifle), so just change out the funnel when changing calibers.

we agreed on a price....

$650...........!!!!!!

nope........

get real guys........

Jesus H. Christ......

They are compatible with all make as long as they are 7/8" x 14. If you want/need an extra toolhead I might have 1 also? Just let me know! I'll be glad too help!

I'll check and see what extra dies I have for both cartridges and just give them too you! I should have the powder funnel (which should be in the caliber conversion), seat/crimp (1 die station), 1 powder die for mounting auto powder and maybe a size/decap? The powder die will be the same for both (and most pistol and rifle), so just change out the funnel when changing calibers.
They are compatible with all make as long as they are 7/8" x 14. If you want/need an extra toolhead I might have 1 also? Just let me know! I'll be glad too help!
cool and thanks...i'll get back to you on that..!!

I'm pretty sure the 550 will accept most any manufacturer's dies. It's only the Square Deal that is proprietary on dies. (y)
Sounds like you struck gold .... all at one time !!!

Score! Any standard dies will work on the 550. I use Lee dies on my 650 and love them.

I got a crapload of stuff when my doctor retired. I bought everything he had for $1K and am still shooting/using it years later.

ok, so the Lee press and what else i ordered were due to arrive "sometime" today, via UPS.

in the meantime, i had to make ready the location of where to put the bench.

there are still many things to do, and i only have so much time to do it all in.

but here is a start

1) this is where (now was) my tool box sat for like umpteen years

1647112587418.png

2) the basement flooring is uneven, so i put down a board, and that green paint? been there i believe since 1860

1647112719114.png

3) like i said in an earlier posting, i'm a saver, this paint color, we used for a room, and i had a LOT left over....and last summer, i had a boatload of electrical work done, and i had the electricians install a light in the area, specifically for my tool box.....good thing i did, cuz frankly, i never gave it any thought then, that this would be where the reloading would be done!

1647112867621.png

4) while doing this work, and finishing up the painting of the floor board, the UPS guy arrived.

i just did not want to unbox the press...that's for like maybe a few days away, i still have to drill holes for the mounting plate, (in this bench pictured) and hope that there will still be room for the "new to me" Dillon i'm picking up Monday.

1647113154298.png

well, i found that to set up a press, even though it was "pre-set up" from Midway with the dies, it is still time consuming to do the finishing touches.

here is the base plate and the press on the bench. frankly, i thought the bottom plate was supposed to go under the bench for support.

the "gold" locking nut, is for the crimping die i still have in install, on another day

1647192725106.png

here in this pic, the spring would bend every so often

1647192863152.png

it would almost always be much better, like this

1647192966518.png

i also noticed that every so often, the plate would not advance, if at all, and then sometimes, the plate would not line up with the stations.

so what i did was, put a couple of drops of Hoppes on the shell casing pusher(?) and the bending spring stopped, and the shell plate advanced like no tomorrow.

this is what happened as i was practicing de-capping..

so this happened to only 2 casings out of 60

1647193271905.png

i did have to do quite a few all over again, as i guess i just did not go fully up the the decapping die.

i had a heck of a time, setting up the case feeder, i had to stop, go up 2 flights of stairs, watch a video, go back down, try again. (that pic is in the same one as the bent spring)

and honestly, i had to do that more than once.

nap time

tomorrow, or when ever, i'll install the powder dispenser.

dang near tuckered me out.

I would highly encourage you to read the instructions completely and carefully. They were written by the people who designed and built the machine so they probably know the little quirks ............ you'll find several tips that will make life better. Voice of experience talking here! (y)(y)(y)

I would highly encourage you to read the instructions completely and carefully. They were written by the people who designed and built the machine so they probably know the little quirks ............ you'll find several tips that will make life better. Voice of experience talking here! (y)(y)(y)
i have gone thru the instructions, can't recall anything about that piece not sliding smoothly, but i'll go back

well, went thru the instructions, and only from the overall picture of the press, they point out "lube points", which i did take care of. i used Hoppes oil. as for the ram, they recommend STP oil, but no specific viscosity, so i hit the ram with some Hoppes as well, until i can fill up my small hand pump oiler with some motor oil.

i also am one step (??) closer to being done setting it up, i have to now install the crimping die, which in the picture, you will see it's just sitting in the breech lock.

tomorrow morning i go meet the RSO and take home that Dillon 550c, but all i Might do" when i get it home, is at least mount it to the bench.

1647207372022.png

Get a Dillon Square Deal press.

Comes with dies installed and preadjusted for the cartridge.

well, went thru the instructions, and only from the overall picture of the press, they point out "lube points", which i did take care of. i used Hoppes oil. as for the ram, they recommend STP oil, but no specific viscosity, so i hit the ram with some Hoppes as well, until i can fill up my small hand pump oiler with some motor oil.

i also am one step (??) closer to being done setting it up, i have to now install the crimping die, which in the picture, you will see it's just sitting in the breech lock.

tomorrow morning i go meet the RSO and take home that Dillon 550c, but all i Might do" when i get it home, is at least mount it to the bench.

View attachment 25608
All you'll need is another 'base block' for the new Dillon and you'll be able to switch out presses with just the turn of a couple screws. The 'bench block' stays in place while the 'base block' attaches to any/all accessories you may need.

The only down side is to find the place to store whichever press is not being used at the time.

Get a Dillon Square Deal press.

Comes with dies installed and preadjusted for the cartridge.
i am buying the RSO's Dillon 550c, he's getting away from reloading, it's only not even 1 year old, with 2 lbs gunpowder, 9mm brass, bullets, beam scale, 2 vibrating case cleaners, digital scale, cleaning media, nearly his whole reloading stuff, EXCEPT dies.

i ain't decided yet other than the 9mm dies i need, what other calibers to reload, or just have on hand.

it was a deal i could not pass up.

i just wished he had told me, BEFORE i bought the Lee.....

BUT, the Lee is set up for .45 ACP, the Dillon will be set up for 9mm....for now.

All you'll need is another 'base block' for the new Dillon and you'll be able to switch out presses with just the turn of a couple screws. The 'bench block' stays in place while the 'base block' attaches to any/all accessories you may need.

The only down side is to find the place to store whichever press is not being used at the time.
so, could i use the same base block that i have now, for the Lee..????

i cannot recall if it was Lee specific, or generic when i bought it.

The "Lee" base blocks are pre-drilled to universally fit all "Lee" brand presses, but can be drilled to fit any press. The only requirement is that to use them you'll need some 'elevator' bolts (flat heads with a square shoulder) sort of like a 'carriage' bolt to bolt the press down. And you only need the 'base' block, not both pieces.

Another option is to cut your own 'base' block out of 1/2" plywood in the same pattern as the "Lee" base block. That way you can use most any bolt by simply counter boring the bottom side of the hole to hide the bolt head and retain a smooth base. You will also need to drill one 'locator' hole if you decide to use the plywood. I think you'll find a drawing in the box your bench block and base block set came in that describes how to cut the plywood. If not there, it can be 'Googled' I'm sure.

(y) (y)(y)

Back