testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

well, this is a most fruitful day.

i got an email telling me that my order of 2,000 LPP's from Miwall in CA, is going to be delivered this week.

my buddy that runs the bait and tackle store told me about 3 weeks ago, he had LPP's and he'd sell them to me, for what he paid for them, but i thought he forgot, since he is super busy at the store.

today he asks me if i still wanted them, since i told him of my coming delivery..........YES, i said, and i couldn't get out the YES fast enough

he sold me 2,000 LPP's for $75. each....

so, i'll now have like 5,000 LPP's in my personal warehouse, along with about 2,000 SPP's....

imma gonna be reloading some ammo in the fall/winter.

i just need now to stock up on "some" powder, maybe more Bullseye, and W-231, maybe Unique....

when i get around to it, i have to see what 1 powder works well for....9mm, 38 special, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt LC

i'd rather have a "1 does it all" powder than to have like 50 different ones.

ok, here is what i have in my stock of bullets.

9mm 124 gr, lead

38 special 158 gr, lead

45 ACP 230 gr, lead

45 Colt LC 200 gr, lead

i just checked 1 book, my Lyman, and ALL can use Unique....

i think that's what i'll go with, since it is a "do all" powder for what i shoot and will reload.

and keep myself at the "starter charge", as i have said more than once, i am in it for the plinking/target practicing.

Round up those you can get while you can! Just like #34 primers. I usually don't buy any military primers, but these have been all I can find lately. Lots of spp, msrp, mspp, srp and 209's, but the unicorns have been a tough find.

Round up those you can get while you can! Just like #34 primers. I usually don't buy any military primers, but these have been all I can find lately. Lots of spp, msrp, mspp, srp and 209's, but the unicorns have been a tough find.
that's what i am trying to do. checking all the saved websites that i can more than once per day.

heck, i may not even reload using (say) the 4,000 LPP's that i have, but nice to "know" i can if i get really, really bored, and set up a cot, at the club.

that's what i am trying to do. checking all the saved websites that i can more than once per day.

heck, i may not even reload using (say) the 4,000 LPP's that i have, but nice to "know" i can if i get really, really bored, and set up a cot, at the club.
I think sportsman's superstore has lpp at a decent price?

Case trimmers are most definitely NOT just for rifle cases, and are most important on those straight walled cases that headspace on the case mouth. I'm pretty sure the .45 auto does so.

When selecting your case length trimmer, be sure it's compatible with whatever press you finally choose. Some are hand tools and work totally away from the press, some are more automatic and some are completely automatic and electric powered. They all do the same job, some just a little easier and usually more expensive. Keep in mind (unless you're independently wealthy) that you're reloading for your personal use and enjoyment. You're not going into a production shop to reload for resale. (???)

Case length is also especially important if you're using a roll crimp as opposed to a taper crimp, which is just a little more tolerant of variations in length. And even more so if the projectile has no cannelure groove.

There are some folks who will tell you to seat your bullets 'extra' deep if you're running into headspacing problems and never consider the possibility of creating a 'compressed' load ...... which can be big trouble under the right conditions. All things considered, please be very cautious who you take advice from.

The "swagger" die I think you're referring to is called a 'swager' die. It's used for sizing home made lead bullets, especially wad cutters. A home poured lead bullet will be close to but not exactly the OD you're trying to achieve. A 'swager' die is simply a die you force the home made lead bullet though under pressure to form it to the final intended diameter of your intended projectile.

A sizing die is also a 'swaging' die, but does just the opposite. It squeezes the brass case to a smaller diameter than existing. "Swaging" works both/either way .... to enlarge a metal tube, or to make smaller a metal tube, rod or wire.
Good old hollow base wad cutters loaded upside down, the flying ashtray.

As of 9/22/2022

For those looking for primers, Targetsportsusa.com still seems to have stock. I personally wouldn't buy them at the current price, but if you need them, you need them. I miss $.03 primers.

I use Hodgon CFE Pistol 5.1gr 124gr 9mm rn cast/powder coated, and 6.2gr 230gr 45ACP rn cast/powder coated.

I haven't read through the entire thread, so if what I mentioned has already been mentioned, just ignore it.

1. I like wet tumbling without pins over media tumbling. Search for a Harbor Freight rock tumbler. Relatively smaller batches, but no dust and no media cost. Drying time can be an issue.
2. If you shoot 223/556, make your own resizing lube with 99% alcohol/lanolin, and don't skimp when lubing cases.
3. A Lee Loadmaster is a cheap progressive loader, but it does have issues, and they can be overcome.
4. RMR Bullets is a source of lead and premade bullets if you are going to try casting your own.
5. If you are searching for powder, Brownells and Powder Valley still have powder, hit and miss though.
6. If you are going to try casting, look up Elvis Ammo on youtube to learn about powder coating.

As of 9/22/2022

For those looking for primers, Targetsportsusa.com still seems to have stock. I personally wouldn't buy them at the current price, but if you need them, you need them. I miss $.03 primers.

I use Hodgon CFE Pistol 5.1gr 124gr 9mm rn cast/powder coated, and 6.2gr 230gr 45ACP rn cast/powder coated.

I haven't read through the entire thread, so if what I mentioned has already been mentioned, just ignore it.

1. I like wet tumbling without pins over media tumbling. Search for a Harbor Freight rock tumbler. Relatively smaller batches, but no dust and no media cost. Drying time can be an issue.
2. If you shoot 223/556, make your own resizing lube with 99% alcohol/lanolin, and don't skimp when lubing cases.
3. A Lee Loadmaster is a cheap progressive loader, but it does have issues, and they can be overcome.
4. RMR Bullets is a source of lead and premade bullets if you are going to try casting your own.
5. If you are searching for powder, Brownells and Powder Valley still have powder, hit and miss though.
6. If you are going to try casting, look up Elvis Ammo on youtube to learn about powder coating.
when i was first getting an "interest" in reloading, i searched the different cleaning/polishing methods.

in the end, i am glad i went vibrating over wet tumbler.

drying time may or may not be an issue for me, but space most certainly is.

plus, the mess (water spillage) of water for my limited space.

but that's just me.

well, i finally decided to go with 2 light kits.

1 for the Dillon, the other for the Lee.

getting them from KMS/2. i checked with Amazon, they only had the kit for the Dillon, and it was about $2.00 more, but free shipping. at least at the KMS/2 site, they had both kits.

a buddy of mine that hangs out at the bait & tackle store has them, and some of you guys had suggested lights as well.

getting closer now to the days (and maybe a few nights) that i start reloading.

just gotta find Unique powder, hopefully in the 4 lbs container.

ok, those 2 light kits came in the mail this morning.

i was going to hold off installing them until tomorrow, cuz i am in some serious pain from repairing a window, that is like an SOB to access let alone repair.

but then, i had already seen the installation videos, and thought, "well when in pain, install"....

so i did.

didn't take too much time, the only time killer was clearing off the bench, installing the power strip, and cleaning up.

i got them from... https://kmssquared.com/index.html

and each kit is "about $30 each, and i paid for priority shipping, rather than, "it'll get there when it gets there" shipping.

here are some pics of both presses

1664816422289.png

1664816447748.png

1664816472598.png

1664816510675.png

1664816527450.png

1664816556902.png

well, against my better judgement, i went and ordered up an 8 lbs container of Tite Group powder. i checked 2 of my 4 books, and Tite Group works in my calibers. (9mm, 38 spc, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt LC)

it was against my "better judgement" to buy this online, due to the hazmat shipping fee, (nearly $46.00) but enough is enough now of this insipid waiting for materials. (the LGS is just not getting in primers or powders.)

i ordered the Tite Group powder from Miwall, that either @TEXASforLIFE or @youngolddude posted, some weeks ago, and i had already bought large primers (CCI) from them, and was satisfied with that purchase.

my "general plans" were to reload "up to" 50 rounds of 45 ACP, this weekend, and take them to the range or club and test them. months ago, when i got the Lee press, i had reloaded like 24 rounds, and they were shooting great. i suspect that these next rounds will be just as good.

it is to also "double check" on all the dies are still in adjustment, which i'd surmise they are? (all lock nuts are tight)

i also had ordered up 3 sets (25 in each set) of those Styrofoam cartridge holders and the boxes from Midway. gives me "about", 3750 cartridges to stock up on. (i don't believe i will be reloading that many, right away), but if and i say if those first few that i reload this weekend shoot good, then i'll go full bore on that Lee's butt and crank'em out.

my Dillon is still set up for 9MM, but i have like 6,000 factory new ammo on hand. my "thought" here was to swap out that set up, for 45 ACP as well, (and make all the needed adjustments and test loads, like for the Lee), and have my choice of running whichever press that day. (I had set that Dillion up with the 9mm, and they shot great as well)

i currently do not need 38 spc, nor 45 Colt LC

oh well...just an update.

Yesterday I scored 4K Federal Magnum Small Pistol primers at Cal-Ranch for $59/1K. I would have purchased 8K, but several dentist trips (expensive) and replacing several exterior doors (also expensive) kinda put a damper on that.
When I change over calibers, I check every powder charge and OAL for maybe 10 rounds to make sure they are within specs and then will spot check every hundred or so. I use 100 round count plastic boxes and switch to .30 cal. ammo cans when I run out of boxes for storage.

Yesterday I scored 4K Federal Magnum Small Pistol primers at Cal-Ranch for $59/1K. I would have purchased 8K, but several dentist trips (expensive) and replacing several exterior doors (also expensive) kinda put a damper on that.
When I change over calibers, I check every powder charge and OAL for maybe 10 rounds to make sure they are within specs and then will spot check every hundred or so. I use 100 round count plastic boxes and switch to .30 cal. ammo cans when I run out of boxes for storage.
yes, later this morning (i got to bed like at 2 AM, and right now, i am still beat to hell), i will "run" anywhere from 16 to 50 rounds of the 45 ACP.

doing ONE round at a time, checking primer removal, replacement, case expansion/flaring, charge, seating, and crimping, and OAL measurements, and of course the "plunk test" with both the Lyman gauge block, and a 1911 barrel.

just like a few months ago when i first got the presses.

then my "tentative plans" are to take those reloads to the range maybe on tuesday, as way too many other things are needing my attention this weekend to go any sooner.

i am in no hurry, in fact, i still have to check what cases need to be cleaned and polished, i ain't going to do more than 50 at this time..

cleaning and polishing can be done over time, and stored, as you know.

well i only cleaned and polished "some brass" yesterday, rather than to do any reloading. i did that just minutes ago, and i was going to only reload maybe all of 16 rounds, take those to the range and try them.

then i said, nah, i'll do a box of 50.

all measurements were "in spec" of the reloads i first did a few months ago, setting up the Lee.

( had to replace the battery in the digital caliper as i was getting crazy readings...once the new one was installed, BAM, back to normal.)

what is "irksome" is the Lee priming system..i "see" where it is hit, or miss, and then try and find the primer(s) that fall onto the floor.....especially with an old wooden floor with wide gaps between the boards..!!

but, i had found to 2 errant primers....so all primers were accounted for!!

i had to several times, place a primer by hand. that sucked big time.

took me all of about 3 hours to produce 50 rounds...

BUT..

i measured EACH round, marked EACH round with a marker pen, and only made one round at a time.

then too, i had the 2 vibrating machines going, one for the cleaning of brass, one for polishing, so every 30 minutes, i had to spend about 10 minutes to process each machines load.

as it stands now, i have at the ready 500 polished brass casings waiting to be reloaded.

i know, i was doing too much all at once.

next time, in fact maybe tomorrow (columbus day) i will finish the remainder of the 45 ACP brass, and set it aside for reloading.

the 9mm and 38 sp, and 45 Colt LC, can be held off in favor of the 45 ACP.

also too, i love that light kit.

made checking for the powder a breeze..

1665333811208.png

i am "trying" this special workaround for the Lee primer system..

this guy in the video claims it's what the people at Lee told him what to do regarding the primers dispensing correctly.

the video for this starts at about the 2:40 point

i'm now just waiting for the small pistol and large pistol pieces to cool down

a "report" on this at a later time.

Back