testtest

Review: Springfield M1A Tanker

Im curious, what is the barrel profile? Would a thicker barrel make much difference? The velocity may not be as good as a 24 inch barrel but would the added rigidity of a shorter and thicker barrel have much effect on accuracy?

The Tanker has the same barrel as the SOCOM which is just a shorter version of the standard contour present in the standard length barrel, as is the Scout with a shorter 18" barrel,

The only contour changes occur with the heavier National and Super Match competition (22" barrel) versions.

Basically a traditionally-dressed SOCOM.

As per BL, if you want to go shorter than the full-length barrel the Scout is the best compromise.
Before I bought my Scout I did a bunch of research and saw several forum posting in various places stating that the 16" Socom just wasn't quite reliable. The muzzle being too close to the gas port, while the Scout seemed to be just far enough away to work reliably.

I can say my Scout has never had an issue. What has been the experience of folks with a 16" M1A?

I see lots of reviews on the so com rifles as far as optics go but what about the Tanker? Would love to see a review on this along with a set up. Weather it would be a red dot or a squad scout. Along with other acc.

The 18" Bush/Scout/MK14 Mod 0 & 1 are my favorite non standard length M14/M1A rifle... I've owned them with standard and medium weight barrels. My current short M14 is a 2011 CQB-16 type SEI with a 4 groove 1:10 twist standard weight 16.25" barrel, the gas system, suppressor capable muzzle device and flash hider are SEI parts. I've shot sub moa groups with this rifle, and there have been zero failures/malfunctions. The CQB-16 is a great rifle, but I still prefer the 18" variants.
IMG_4036.JPG

The Tanker is not a Scout Squad.

The Tanker is a SOCOM 16 variant, as per SA's website.

Not sure if you are speaking to me? But I never sayed that the Tanker was like a Scout Squad. I can also read the Springfield web sight myself and have. I asked about optic’s on the tanker, if that would be a red dot or a squad scout scope. And would love to see a review of that are see a set up done on the Tanker. Hope this clears up your misconceptions. Have a Great Day

You mentioned squad scout in your previous post, with the "scope" qualifier in your latest.

The way the Tanker is configured one can only put a scope or red dot on a receiver mount.

In order to mount a scout scope or a forward red dot on a Tanker one would have to replace the solid handguard with a SA 18" scout handguard and mount (same as the Scout Squad), or an Ultimak upper handguard.

The previous review of the Scout Squad here can give you an idea on those SA made forward mounts.

A Tanker with the Scout Squad scout mount handguard is essentlally a SOCOM with a wood stock.

Here's a previous thread comparing the SOCOM/Tanker & the Scout Squad.

Here's a TFB review of the Tanker.

And because they're nearly the same....

Well thank you for the reply. But sense I referred to optics on the Socom review and then asked about a review on the tanker for a red dot are a Squad Scout most people know that you are referring to a Scope. Maybe you should read my post once again instead of attacking me. Not very nice for a founding member.very sad

Well thank you for the reply. But sense I referred to optics on the Socom review and then asked about a review on the tanker for a red dot are a Squad Scout most people know that you are referring to a Scope. Maybe you should read my post once again instead of attacking me. Not very nice for a founding member.very sad
I didn't attack you. There is no aggressive language in my replies.

I tried to provide you information for you consideration, but your posts were/are very vague on what you're looking for.

Last edited:
I like my national match and for me it’s been second to none. I’ve also have a scout squad which I find it to be just as good and reliable for its 18” barrel. Thank God we have the M1 platform. I’m currently waiting for my tanker to come in to complete my collection. I know it’ll be fun to see what it can do.

Back