testtest

SBR first or just convert to 300 blk then SBR

Currently I have a Saint Victor 5.56 7.5“ pistol. I want to convert it to 300 blk with a 10.5” barrel. So my noob question is do I convert it to an SBR first or do I SBR it with the new upper?
Plus, if you have any suggestions on what furniture to use (I do have a Law Tactical folder installed), I’d DEEPLY appreciate it…

I’m in Texas if that makes a difference.

Currently I have a Saint Victor 5.56 7.5“ pistol. I want to convert it to 300 blk with a 10.5” barrel. So my noob question is do I convert it to an SBR first or do I SBR it with the new upper?
Plus, if you have any suggestions on what furniture to use (I do have a Law Tactical folder installed), I’d DEEPLY appreciate it…

File for the NFA stamp first to do the SBR.
THEN buy the parts needed AFTER approved

I might not be 100% on this answer, but purchase a lower (receiver only, no other parts on it) and have it filed as pistol or some other classification. Option 2: purchase a lower only with an adjustable stock or complete lower if you choose then file it as needed. Where you live might make doing so difficult? Oh well you being in Texas everything is possible! With regs changing I couldn't tell you the difference between class of weapon shorter than 16" barrel length.

These may help:

Once a firearm becomes an NFA weapon it's an NFA weapon forever in the eyes of BATF. At some point in the future when you go to sell it the buyer will have to jump through all of the same hoops in order for you to transfer it.

These may help:

Once a firearm becomes an NFA weapon it's an NFA weapon forever in the eyes of BATF. At some point in the future when you go to sell it the buyer will have to jump through all of the same hoops in order for you to transfer it.
That first article's title is rather misleading.

You MUST deal with the BATFE if you want to legally build/own a SBR.

As far as I know, until you have the tax stamp for a particular gun you want to sbr with a stock or whatever makes it a sbr, you cannot possess the stock or othe NFA parts..

Last edited:
Sbr stamp for the lower. Get approved from ATF. Then add a stock and 10.5” barrel
Bored with that, make it a pistol again. Bored with that, make it a full rifle. NFA stamp allows you to change your mind as much as you want on style.
(cant change caliber once its deisgnated in the Form 1 of what caliber it is.. .300BO or 5.56, not both)

What changes other than the 300blk upper are you planning to add to make it a SBR? (Ie. putting a stock on it, vertical grip, etc). If you are just putting the 300blk upper on the 556 pistol lower, you don’t need to SBR it, at least at the current time (that may change with the pistol brace Proposed ATF regulation in the works). I have a SA 300blk pistol I bought, but haven’t tried any other uppers on it. But I do have a pistol lower with buffer tube that I swap between 556 and 300blk (between 7-10”), without it being SBR’d.

It’s easy peezy.

Steps
1. Have a firearm you want to SBR (I prefer starting with a pistol. Some firearms are a pain and take great lengths to change to a short barrel. So why not just start with a pistol, and at least you can use it as a pistol Now while you wait.).

2. Order finger print cards: https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form
Make sure to have the finger prints done before you file. You only have a certain time to get them to the atf. You can also order from Amazon…..blue finger print cards only.

3. Register for an efile account with the ATF. https://eforms.atf.gov/
carefully fill in all the info. And Make sure to know your user name that is assigned and the 4 digit pin number you choose

4. Fill out the finger print cards 2 per stamp. Then go get your prints taken. I go to my local police department, takes like 5 mins. Once they are complete move onto the next step.

5. Take a passport style photo. Save it to your computer as a jpg.

6. Log into your eforms account and start a form 1 form. Carefully fill out all of the information. You will need to know:
Your Info
Trust Info if you do that/I just do a personal
cleo Info
Gun info (the additional info box meaning: thats what you are going to engrave on the firearm.
Ex James Nicholas
Lala Land AL
or James Nicholas Trust
Lala land AL )
Upload your photo skip the finger prints if you have a paper version.
pay your stamp via cc/debit
then certify: have your username and pin number handy because it will time out.
Hit submit and wait because the ATF website is slow.

7. Look for the ATF email saying your status has changed to submitted and then the email for the cover letter for your finger prints. Print the letter with the barcode twice once for inside and one for outside. Then go to the post office and priority mail the prints to the atf.

8. Patiently wait for the next atf email saying your status has changed.
once you get the approval
you can act like Dr. Moreau and make your creation.

If you go the Silencershop route
You need an account on the website
Download the phone app and get a kiosk code.
Go to the Gunstore with a kiosk and log in with the app.
fill in your info and do your finger prints.

After a couple days (silencershop is slow…..I have to deal with them everyday)
order a set of finger print cards and wait for them to show up. then go back to step 6
You can also order your trust.

It’s easy peezy.

Steps
1. Have a firearm you want to SBR (I prefer starting with a pistol. Some firearms are a pain and take great lengths to change to a short barrel. So why not just start with a pistol, and at least you can use it as a pistol Now while you wait.).

2. Order finger print cards: https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form
Make sure to have the finger prints done before you file. You only have a certain time to get them to the atf. You can also order from Amazon…..blue finger print cards only.

3. Register for an efile account with the ATF. https://eforms.atf.gov/
carefully fill in all the info. And Make sure to know your user name that is assigned and the 4 digit pin number you choose

4. Fill out the finger print cards 2 per stamp. Then go get your prints taken. I go to my local police department, takes like 5 mins. Once they are complete move onto the next step.

5. Take a passport style photo. Save it to your computer as a jpg.

6. Log into your eforms account and start a form 1 form. Carefully fill out all of the information. You will need to know:
Your Info
Trust Info if you do that/I just do a personal
cleo Info
Gun info (the additional info box meaning: thats what you are going to engrave on the firearm.
Ex James Nicholas
Lala Land AL
or James Nicholas Trust
Lala land AL )
Upload your photo skip the finger prints if you have a paper version.
pay your stamp via cc/debit
then certify: have your username and pin number handy because it will time out.
Hit submit and wait because the ATF website is slow.

7. Look for the ATF email saying your status has changed to submitted and then the email for the cover letter for your finger prints. Print the letter with the barcode twice once for inside and one for outside. Then go to the post office and priority mail the prints to the atf.

8. Patiently wait for the next atf email saying your status has changed.
once you get the approval
you can act like Dr. Moreau and make your creation.

If you go the Silencershop route
You need an account on the website
Download the phone app and get a kiosk code.
Go to the Gunstore with a kiosk and log in with the app.
fill in your info and do your finger prints.

After a couple days (silencershop is slow…..I have to deal with them everyday)
order a set of finger print cards and wait for them to show up. then go back to step 6
You can also order your trust.
Nice outline:

Video saves typing …. 🤪😉

As far as I know, until you have the tax stamp for a particular gun you want to sbr with a stock or whatever makes it a sbr, you cannot possess the stock or othe NFA parts..
Sure you can. You just can’t put an upper less than 16” ON a stocked lower. You can perfectly legally own as many carbine lowers and pistol uppers as you want. You just can’t mate them together legally without a stamp.

Sure you can. You just can’t put an upper less than 16” ON a stocked lower. You can perfectly legally own as many carbine lowers and pistol uppers as you want. You just can’t mate them together legally without a stamp.
This is true, I own multiple AR pistols and multiple AR Rifles, I am good to go as long as I do not put a less than 16 inch barrel on my Rifle AR’s. If you want a lower than 16 inch barrel with a Stock and not a brace then you need to SBR them.

Your Saint Victor 5.56 7.5" pistol is already classified as a pistol. You can get a 300 BLK upper for it and put it on your current lower without having to SBR it as long as you don't put a stock on the lower. If you leave the lower as it is and just swap out the 5.56 upper for a 300 BLK upper, there's nothing you need to do at this time.

Yes, there are possibly some ATF regulations in the future that deal with braced pistols, but they are not here yet. Worry about them when they come.

Put that 300 BLK upper on your current lower and don't think twice about it. No need to go through the tedious process of registering as a SBR just to make that change. I also have a Saint Victor 5.56 7.5" as well as a 300 BLK 8.5" upper and I swap them out all the time. Doesn't matter...

And just for further information. If you want, you can put a rifle upper (16" barrel or longer) on your pistol lower and go back to a pistol configuration any time. What you can't do is have a rifle lower and put a pistol length upper on it (less than 16" barrel). Hope that makes sense.

Your Saint Victor 5.56 7.5" pistol is already classified as a pistol. You can get a 300 BLK upper for it and put it on your current lower without having to SBR it as long as you don't put a stock on the lower. If you leave the lower as it is and just swap out the 5.56 upper for a 300 BLK upper, there's nothing you need to do at this time.

Yes, there are possibly some ATF regulations in the future that deal with braced pistols, but they are not here yet. Worry about them when they come.

Put that 300 BLK upper on your current lower and don't think twice about it. No need to go through the tedious process of registering as a SBR just to make that change. I also have a Saint Victor 5.56 7.5" as well as a 300 BLK 8.5" upper and I swap them out all the time. Doesn't matter...

And just for further information. If you want, you can put a rifle upper (16" barrel or longer) on your pistol lower and go back to a pistol configuration any time. What you can't do is have a rifle lower and put a pistol length upper on it (less than 16" barrel). Hope that makes sense.
He mentioned going with a 10.5” barrel on that pistol. That makes it an SBR.
That makes it subject to our discussions on NFA/SBR information

He mentioned going with a 10.5” barrel on that pistol. That makes it an SBR.
That makes it subject to our discussions on NFA/SBR information
Not to be disagreeable, but as long as he keeps the lower the same, with the brace, it is still a pistol. Remember, he’s putting that 10.5” upper on a Saint Victor 7.5” pistol lower. Not a rifle lower. It’s a pistol in its original configuration and it remains a pistol with the 10.5” upper on it. If he was going from a rifle to a 10.5” upper, then yes, he’d have to register as an SBR. But that’s not his situation.

Not to be disagreeable, but as long as he keeps the lower the same, with the brace, it is still a pistol. Remember, he’s putting that 10.5” upper on a Saint Victor 7.5” pistol lower. Not a rifle lower. It’s a pistol in its original configuration and it remains a pistol with the 10.5” upper on it. If he was going from a rifle to a 10.5” upper, then yes, he’d have to register as an SBR. But that’s not his situation.
That was my understanding also when I bought a complete pistol lower for 300bo. It does have a pistol buffer tube without a brace.

Back