testtest

The Prodigy looks ugly from pictures I see

It’s clear that you have a lifetime of knowledge, but honestly, you’re preaching to the converted. These guys are extremely knowledgeable and know how a striker fired gun and a 1911 differ. Regardless of your knowledge, nobody responds well to being told they’re not as clever as they think they are.

My two cents…
Meaning???

Meaning???
That no one likes to be told that your smarts are smarter than their smarts when they know full well that their smarts are the smartest of all and smarter than yours even if your smarts come with official bona fide smarter than smart smarts and the really smart smartsters show how smart they aren’t compared to the really smart smart people who if they really were smart would not make a big deal about their smarter smarts.

The smart man says nothing.

Or does he?

That no one likes to be told that your smarts are smarter than their smarts when they know full well that their smarts are the smartest of all and smarter than yours even if your smarts come with official bona fide smarter than smart smarts and the really smart smartsters show how smart they aren’t compared to the really smart smart people who if they really were smart would not make a big deal about their smarter smarts.

The smart man says nothing.

Or does he?
He who knows all the answers has not been asked all the questions.

Confucius

In my training courses I had my students dry fire a lot. My training guns were SIG DA/SA P series pistols, SIG P320'S, and Glock 17's and 19's, and S&W revolvers and there were a number of student owned guns. They were dry fired many thousands of times and I never had a firing pin or striker break as a result. On the other hand in the SA 1911 Armorer's Course, I was taught to not dry fire the 1911. Snap caps are available for that.

I have taken a lot of handgun classes. And I fully understand that dry fire is an important part of learning and honing fundamentals. The guy I usually take classes from, in his entry level classes, has us all training with laser cartridges and a robot "Attacker". I have taken about 15 of his classes now and it's a lot of range time. It was tough getting through the pandemic, but I do my skill retention via live fire and I go through a large quantity of ammunition.
When I was hitting low left I did do a little dry firing with a spent shell on my front sight. That's all sorted out these days. I also do practice my draw every day, but it ends with sight picture and me whispering "Bang" to myself. I am on the range at least twice a week, in all weather, but to be truthful I work on a lot of shotgun stuff, not just handguns. And lately I have been doing carbines.

Anyway, dry firing is absolutely good practice. If I was going to do it though I would use snap caps. Even with striker fired guns.

They literally are called strikers. HK invented the first one and Glock took it all the way to the big dance.

I'm an old man too and I get what you're saying, but there absolutely is a part called a striker. And there is a striker spring and a striker channel.

I'm not a gun smith, but I'm pretty sure that striker fired guns are half cocked/compressed before the slide is racked.

In any event Rick, I'm sure you're probably right. Like I just told Hayes, it's probably just me and the old men I run around with. We were taught not to dry fire. Yeah I go through a S ton of ammo to get my shots in, but life is short my friend.
Actually…HK didn’t invent striker fired handguns. They’ve been around since the early 20th century…I’ve got a JP Sauer striker fired .32 from the 1930’s.

They did make the first polymer 9mm doublestack striker, but the VP70 is a true DAO, and has no pre-loading of the striker; the trigger stroke fully retracts and releases the striker, and the slide travel does nothing.

Either way…I’ve never heard a reputable gunsmith refer to the firing pin channel on a 1911 as the “striker channel”.

And dry firing with/without snap caps is pretty much a matter of opinion, unless you are talking about a .22 rimfire…then, they are necessary in most examples (Ruger 10/22’s being the only exception I can think of).

Ok, then I guess the Glock armorer course I took sometime back was teaching all wrong when they called their striker a striker……..🤔🤔

BTW: old here also with 40+ years into guns and had a gunsmith friend from SSK Industries who taught me some gunsmithing…..just sayin
LOL If you learned anything in that class you should have learned that it's a firing pin . It's just not a small pin like hammer guns have it's attached to the arm of what they call a striker . When one breaks it's the tip .

Since you guys highjacked my thread with a bunch of nonsense : I'd really like to know if all the bad stuff I hear online about the Prodigy are true and if they have been worked out .

LOL If you learned anything in that class you should have learned that it's a firing pin . It's just not a small pin like hammer guns have it's attached to the arm of what they call a striker . When one breaks it's the tip .
1672852005289.jpeg

Since you guys highjacked my thread with a bunch of nonsense : I'd really like to know if all the bad stuff I hear online about the Prodigy are true and if they have been worked out .
I've had a Prodigy since launch and I've never had an issue.

@SimonRL and a few other guys are also early owners of the Prodigy, maybe he or some other owners can give you some feedback.

I think it's not a good idea to dry fire anything other than a striker, which I don't extensively dry fire either. And even though they say there is no harm dry firing strikers, search this forum and find the guy who broke the striker of his Hellcat dry firing.
It's probably just me HG. I was taught that dry firing was bad. Long before the invention of, or at least the proliferation of, striker fired pistols. I know they say ( whoever they are) that dry firing a 1911 is ok, just don't drop the slide on an empty chamber, but I know they are not designed to so I don't. And I don't dry fire striker fired guns very much either.
In my training courses I had my students dry fire a lot. My training guns were SIG DA/SA P series pistols, SIG P320'S, and Glock 17's and 19's, and S&W revolvers and there were a number of student owned guns. They were dry fired many thousands of times and I never had a firing pin or striker break as a result. On the other hand in the SA 1911 Armorer's Course, I was taught to not dry fire the 1911. Snap caps are available for that.
honestly, i learnt from other "old timers" that have had guns for eons, to never dry fire.

some mentioned putting a rubber washer of some sort to prevent the hammer from going all the way to fire.

many say no harm will come to striker guns..??...i dunno, i posted a picture of a breach face, (from the inside) being damaged from dry firing.

i have 1911's, striker guns, and revolvers, and in nearly all the revolver and 1911 owners manuals, "they recommend" that one NEVER dry fires those guns....so i carry that over to all my striker fired guns as well.

good habits are better to keep, rather that be having issues later, then trying to break bad habits.

but that's just me, and the way i learnt......like cleaning after every range visit.....

honestly, i learnt from other "old timers" that have had guns for eons, to never dry fire.

some mentioned putting a rubber washer of some sort to prevent the hammer from going all the way to fire.

many say no harm will come to striker guns..??...i dunno, i posted a picture of a breach face, (from the inside) being damaged from dry firing.

i have 1911's, striker guns, and revolvers, and in nearly all the revolver and 1911 owners manuals, "they recommend" that one NEVER dry fires those guns....so i carry that over to all my striker fired guns as well.

good habits are better to keep, rather that be having issues later, then trying to break bad habits.

but that's just me, and the way i learnt......like cleaning after every range visit.....
LOL Warnings in owners manuals like you mention are political . Anyone that knows anything about how hammer or Striker fire guns operate . Understand the pin that hits the Primer goes into basically air. The don't fire the guns without Ammo is OLD because almost all hammer fire guns didn't have a transfer bar in them . SO when you dry fired you standard issue 38 you were beating up the end of the firing pin. Most revolvers have this safety bar transfer in them . The striker fire guns manuals don't say don't dry fire for damage purposes . They say that if they actually do . Because they are covering their liability of someone having the gun loaded and not checking .
Lock the slide back on you semi auto striker fire . You can see the tip of the pin in the empty chamber . To dry fire hurts nothing . 1911 operates using a hammer but similar conditions apply . Guns you don't fire dry are those old S&W 38 Specials : Anything made before the 1970's likely doesn't have a transfer bar .
Learn what you own :)

I've had a Prodigy since launch and I've never had an issue.

@SimonRL and a few other guys are also early owners of the Prodigy, maybe he or some other owners can give you some feedback.
So you believe SA addressed all the early issues ? I currently own a couple Bul Armory Sas II Models . But they were before optic ready came around . They have been flawless . I could have the slide milled but reluctant to do that . Especially has to destroy re-selling it to most people .
Like I said : I'd never seen a Prodigy in person . I was surprised how nice it looked in person . It was the 4.25 as well. The issues seem to be all on the 5".
I'm also not concerned with a part breaking . I can DIY ..

Thanks for replying on topic . As I sit here dry firing my X-macro ;)

LOL Warnings in owners manuals like you mention are political . Anyone that knows anything about how hammer or Striker fire guns operate . Understand the pin that hits the Primer goes into basically air. The don't fire the guns without Ammo is OLD because almost all hammer fire guns didn't have a transfer bar in them . SO when you dry fired you standard issue 38 you were beating up the end of the firing pin. Most revolvers have this safety bar transfer in them . The striker fire guns manuals don't say don't dry fire for damage purposes . They say that if they actually do . Because they are covering their liability of someone having the gun loaded and not checking .
Lock the slide back on you semi auto striker fire . You can see the tip of the pin in the empty chamber . To dry fire hurts nothing . 1911 operates using a hammer but similar conditions apply . Guns you don't fire dry are those old S&W 38 Specials : Anything made before the 1970's likely doesn't have a transfer bar .
thanks, but i'll maintain my habits.

like when i drove trucks, i had to maintain log books

or when i repaired cars, i had to maintain work orders.

or when i take my guns to the range, i jot down the date, how many rounds, new or reloaded ammo, and cleaning and lube afterwards.

good habits are easy to keep up with

bad habits are hard to break.

Ok, now owners manuals are all wrong……😲😲

I had a handful of issues between 500 and 1k rounds, but nothing that stopped the gun from running if I just tapped the slide or racked it.

I have the 5", but mine is also Serial# 03XXX, which was probably the first run of them - I had it in my hands first week of September and they were announced Sept 1st.

That said, given how good SA Customer Service is, I sent it in and got it back (took less than 2 weeks total). It's run flawless since then, with the caveat being I now use Staccato mags from Dawson Precision.

The SA mags cause issues, but that's the mags not the gun. Going to RMA those mags at some point and hopefully get new ones from SA.

Over 2,000 rounds through it and total 'issues' I had prior to sending it in, about 7-8 FTF or FTE. After that, none.
I cannot aptly describe how well it shoots though. It's so smooth and soft.

Last edited:
Back