testtest

The Prodigy looks ugly from pictures I see

Rick53

Operator
While in the local shop I was looking at 1911's they keep behind glass . When this nice looking 2011 caught my eye . Holy Crap it was one of those ugly Prodigy's . But it wasn't ugly . In person it's a nice looking gun .
$1399.00 or $1299.00 for cash .
Going back to pick it up tomorrow .

So tell me is the trigger an easy upgrade ? Which one and what gunsmithing is required ? Or is it plug and play ? I also remember hearing online it's heavy ?? I didn't think so . What a sweet gun .

What other upgrades are needed to use this in matches ?

Thanks

While in the local shop I was looking at 1911's they keep behind glass . When this nice looking 2011 caught my eye . Holy Crap it was one of those ugly Prodigy's . But it wasn't ugly . In person it's a nice looking gun .

So tell me is the trigger an easy upgrade ? Which one and what gunsmithing is required ? Or is it plug and play ? I also remember hearing online it's heavy ?? I didn't think so . What a sweet gun .

Thanks
Why don’t you shoot it first. My 5in Prodigy has a 2.5lb trigger. No one who has shot it dislikes it. Nearly 2000 rounds through it.

Thanks
It's not heavy (if you mean total weight wise) in my opinion - a standard 45ACP 1911 is 39oz. The Prodigy 5" is 33oz, 4.25" is 32.5oz.
That weight translates into a much better shooting experience.

If you mean heavy as in the trigger pull, I haven't touched the trigger on mine but it's at about 3.5lbs which is perfect for me. Over 2k rounds through it so far.
The Dawson Precision one piece guide rod is an upgrade a lot of people get. I will probably do that in the future.

That's a great cash price though. 5" or 4.25"? I have the 5"

(Not sure what would be needed for matches specifically though, never competed)

It's not heavy (if you mean total weight wise) in my opinion - a standard 45ACP 1911 is 39oz. The Prodigy 5" is 33oz, 4.25" is 32.5oz.
That weight translates into a much better shooting experience.

If you mean heavy as in the trigger pull, I haven't touched the trigger on mine but it's at about 3.5lbs which is perfect for me. Over 2k rounds through it so far.
The Dawson Precision one piece guide rod is an upgrade a lot of people get. I will probably do that in the future.

That's a great cash price though. 5" or 4.25"? I have the 5"

(Not sure what would be needed for matches specifically though, never competed)
It's a 4.25 . This place is funny They won't let you dry fire their guns . I've just see reports on yo0utube about a heavier trigger the Staccato P or those Bul Armories . Does it feed range ammo ok ?

You shouldn't dry fire a 1911 anyway.
Why not ? Not sure who told you that . But it's wrong . Doesn't hurt it . I have a 25 year old Kimber Supermatch that I've put at least that many 1000's of rounds thru . I dry fired that gun every night for the first 3 years I owned it . It was my only gun for 10 years . I've taken it apart and replaced things over the years . Never had an issue . Since then I have dry fired every thing except my Colt SAA's .

Why not ? Not sure who told you that . But it's wrong . Doesn't hurt it . I have a 25 year old Kimber Supermatch that I've put at least that many 1000's of rounds thru . I dry fired that gun every night for the first 3 years I owned it . It was my only gun for 10 years . I've taken it apart and replaced things over the years . Never had an issue . Since then I have dry fired every thing except my Colt SAA's .
I think it's not a good idea to dry fire anything other than a striker, which I don't extensively dry fire either. And even though they say there is no harm dry firing strikers, search this forum and find the guy who broke the striker of his Hellcat dry firing.

I think it's not a good idea to dry fire anything other than a striker, which I don't extensively dry fire either. And even though they say there is no harm dry firing strikers, search this forum and find the guy who broke the striker of his Hellcat dry firing.
I think maybe you mean the Firing Pin ?? Not sure what you mean by a striker as a part . I am guessing you mean their firing pins broke . If you ever take a shooting instruction class . Your homework is dry firing your gun . As far as the Hellcat / The P365 had the same Firing pin issues . But that happens anyway . A 1911 is hammer fired : external safety etc .

It's a 4.25 . This place is funny They won't let you dry fire their guns . I've just see reports on yo0utube about a heavier trigger the Staccato P or those Bul Armories . Does it feed range ammo ok ?
1911 triggers are not something to garage gunsmith yourself, unless you want to end up bringing to a smith as a box full of pieces.

Alternately, you could get it back together, bring it to the range, and learn all about the finer points of “hammer follow”, and how you just turned your pistol into a machine gun.

I think maybe you mean the Firing Pin ?? Not sure what you mean by a striker as a part . I am guessing you mean their firing pins broke . If you ever take a shooting instruction class . Your homework is dry firing your gun . As far as the Hellcat / The P365 had the same Firing pin issues . But that happens anyway . A 1911 is hammer fired : external safety etc .
I meant striker fired pistols. Which have strikers rather than firing pins.

In my training courses I had my students dry fire a lot. My training guns were SIG DA/SA P series pistols, SIG P320'S, and Glock 17's and 19's, and S&W revolvers and there were a number of student owned guns. They were dry fired many thousands of times and I never had a firing pin or striker break as a result. On the other hand in the SA 1911 Armorer's Course, I was taught to not dry fire the 1911. Snap caps are available for that.

They are calling the firing pins strikers . I'm an old man . I used to gunsmith . With Striker firing guns , when the slide is racked the spring on the Firing pin is compressed when you pull the trigger the spring is released . Throwing the firing pin into the back of the Primer . That's how hellcats work. 1911 have hammers which cock back . When Dropped hit the back of the firing pin that drives into the primer . So the post you quoted is just using terms that many on the internet use . Take it from me : There's no part called a Striker . Some guys just call the firing pin that . If you ever take your slide apart to do a good cleaning you'll see what I mean . It really doesn't matter . The reason these guns are ok to dry fire when empty . Is there's nothing that the Firing pin hits . On the older style cowboy guns .The firing pin was on the hammer. So if you dry fired it you we technically peening the Firing pin flat . That's why in the days of the old west . Nobody carried a round on a rested hammer .

In my training courses I had my students dry fire a lot. My training guns were SIG DA/SA P series pistols, SIG P320'S, and Glock 17's and 19's, and S&W revolvers and there were a number of student owned guns. They were dry fired many thousands of times and I never had a firing pin or striker break as a result. On the other hand in the SA 1911 Armorer's Course, I was taught to not dry fire the 1911. Snap caps are available for that.
It's probably just me HG. I was taught that dry firing was bad. Long before the invention of, or at least the proliferation of, striker fired pistols. I know they say ( whoever they are) that dry firing a 1911 is ok, just don't drop the slide on an empty chamber, but I know they are not designed to so I don't. And I don't dry fire striker fired guns very much either.

It's probably just me HG. I was taught that dry firing was bad. Long before the invention of, or at least the proliferation of, striker fired pistols. I know they say ( whoever they are) that dry firing a 1911 is ok, just don't drop the slide on an empty chamber, but I know they are not designed to so I don't. And I don't dry fire striker fired guns very much either.
I am speaking from my knowledge of working on all kinds of Guns . The idea of don't dry fire came from the Cowboy Single action . For those dry firing damages the firing pin . Striker fire guns have been around almost as long as hammer fired . They just weren't popular until poly guns hit the scene . Keep in mind a lot of what you read online is just someone who doesn't understand what they are talking about thinking they do . They have no idea how these guns operate

They are calling the firing pins strikers . I'm an old man . I used to gunsmith . With Striker firing guns , when the slide is racked the spring on the Firing pin is compressed when you pull the trigger the spring is released . Throwing the firing pin into the back of the Primer . That's how hellcats work. 1911 have hammers which cock back . When Dropped hit the back of the firing pin that drives into the primer . So the post you quoted is just using terms that many on the internet use . Take it from me : There's no part called a Striker . Some guys just call the firing pin that . If you ever take your slide apart to do a good cleaning you'll see what I mean .
They literally are called strikers. HK invented the first one and Glock took it all the way to the big dance.

I'm an old man too and I get what you're saying, but there absolutely is a part called a striker. And there is a striker spring and a striker channel.

I'm not a gun smith, but I'm pretty sure that striker fired guns are half cocked/compressed before the slide is racked.

In any event Rick, I'm sure you're probably right. Like I just told Hayes, it's probably just me and the old men I run around with. We were taught not to dry fire. Yeah I go through a S ton of ammo to get my shots in, but life is short my friend.

Okay technically they didn't invent it, but...

"The Heckler and Koch VP70 was the gun that technically introduced striker-fired actions to the gun world. There was, however, a predecessor to the VP70: the Ortgies."

They are calling the firing pins strikers . I'm an old man . I used to gunsmith . With Striker firing guns , when the slide is racked the spring on the Firing pin is compressed when you pull the trigger the spring is released . Throwing the firing pin into the back of the Primer . That's how hellcats work. 1911 have hammers which cock back . When Dropped hit the back of the firing pin that drives into the primer . So the post you quoted is just using terms that many on the internet use . Take it from me : There's no part called a Striker . Some guys just call the firing pin that . If you ever take your slide apart to do a good cleaning you'll see what I mean . It really doesn't matter . The reason these guns are ok to dry fire when empty . Is there's nothing that the Firing pin hits . On the older style cowboy guns .The firing pin was on the hammer. So if you dry fired it you we technically peening the Firing pin flat . That's why in the days of the old west . Nobody carried a round on a rested hammer .
Ok, then I guess the Glock armorer course I took sometime back was teaching all wrong when they called their striker a striker……..🤔🤔

BTW: old here also with 40+ years into guns and had a gunsmith friend from SSK Industries who taught me some gunsmithing…..just sayin

FAE72FB6-504B-4BF1-80DD-8861FA8B349B.png
This is called a striker not a firing pin…..sorry

I am speaking from my knowledge of working on all kinds of Guns . The idea of don't dry fire came from the Cowboy Single action . For those dry firing damages the firing pin . Striker fire guns have been around almost as long as hammer fired . They just weren't popular until poly guns hit the scene . Keep in mind a lot of what you read online is just someone who doesn't understand what they are talking about thinking they do . They have no idea how these guns operate
It’s clear that you have a lifetime of knowledge, but honestly, you’re preaching to the converted. These guys are extremely knowledgeable and know how a striker fired gun and a 1911 differ. Regardless of your knowledge, nobody responds well to being told they’re not as clever as they think they are.

My two cents…

Back