testtest

The Prodigy looks ugly from pictures I see

Oooh, @Bassbob the diplomat. I like it. Anyone else turned on? šŸ˜˜šŸ˜œ
F37A8471-5C40-426F-B5B4-3AC41BA778B9.gif

I never insisted anything. In fact I clearly stated it was probably just me being set in my ways.

I think you might be new to internet forums. A little piece of advice if I may ? It's almost always best to disagree or state your case in such a way that it doesn't come off like you are insulting people or insisting you are the smartest guy in the room. If you plan on sticking around. You seem like a decent enough guy and knowledgeable about guns. I'm sure you have a lot to offer the group and I think you might be able to get something out of it as well. Lots of very nice and helpful people here. We talk about things and throw our opinions around as fact all the time. Just relax a tad brother. It's only the internet.
Not talking about you . My comments are always generic . I don't like to argue against someone personally . I am relaxed . Just not the Politian you are .

OPā€¦ I canā€™t help you on the dry fire thingā€¦ seems everyone else canā€¦ LOL.

I can say my 4.25 Prodigy had lots of issues right out of the box. 20K plus serial number.
Roughly 150 rounds the day after I bought it, mix of ammo and mags, after a proper field strip, clean and oil.
I couldnā€™t shoot more than 5 shots without issue.
Called SA, RMA and label to email in 10 minutes, pistol to them in 2 days, back to me in less than 10 business days, roughly 500 rounds plus since, flawless.

I knew, from reading here, videos, other forums, etc. It would be a crap shoot. I got one that needed help, SA was outstanding in the warranty dept.

Among the repairs were ream/polish barrel, refit barrel, polish ramp, replace sear spring, polish and tune extractorā€¦

I think for the price point of a Double stack style 1911, SA hit the mark. I thinkā€¦with less than $50 in parts and some elbow grease (read, clean up and polishing) this could be even better. $500 in parts and elbow grease, itā€™ll rival those costing quite a bit more.

Pick it up, if itā€™s a problem, SA will take care of it, painlessly.

you can post all the pics and all the videos you want. i posted a pic of the back of the breech that got slammed too many times from dry firing.

here it is again

breach-face-jpg.14617

and this one, with the back story about DRY FIRING....

32030705.jpg

you're not about to change anyone's mind or opinions on dry firing.

you do you, many of us will do what we normally will or will not do.
That's what I've been saying thru the whole thread . Please don't turn it around like I'm the bad guy , When it was all the other way around . I never said people were doing things wrong . It was all accusations I was wrong . I am a professional Smith . I've worked on thousands of guns . This picture you loaded shows that is a lot more then just simple dry firing . Plus it looks like someone scrubbed it with a brush or something trying to clean out an area that had been let go quite some time . It also appears they used something with a pointed edge to scrape things off . Breach faces don't crack from dry firing . That would have happened under load . Firing live ammo . Wrong spring or slamming the slide home on an empty chamber . Not to mention what's the round count or other background . Might just be and old gun with several thousand rounds of hot reloads . I also looked thru 3 different companies owners manuals for modern guns . While none said it's ok to drive fire . None warned not to .

I've seen enough guns damaged over the years . Nobody that brought a used gun in ever said I've miss-used the crap out of my gun and it caught up to me . They come in thinking they can convince me it's been gently treated and I'll confirm they have a claim against the maker . They all always claimed they treated them gently and golly gee wiz . It just broke for no reason . Very few people say they have been rough on a gun . The ones that do are usually active shooters wondering if it can be fixed to keep using .

A breech would never crack from a spring throwing a Striker pin . That breech would only be subjected to slamming by someone allowing the slide to slam every time they racked it or under live fire . That's a whole different set of circumstances then press check and practice firing on an empty chamber . Lets not add to circumstances . Anyone doing a full lock back rack and letting go of the slide to dry fire shouldn't be using a gun in the first place .
Plus nobody I know who practices dry firing is doing what you suggest . A simple press check engages the trigger .

You seem to be suggesting that pulling a trigger caused the damage in the picture?? Not hardly You seem to be confusing letting a locked slide go on an empty magazine . With press checking and click . 2 totally different things . No professional suggesting dry fire is safe is suggesting what I just mentioned are the same event. In fact letting a locked slide go on an empty mag is always warned against doing :) In probably every Semi Auto Owner's manual. That isn't what anyone dry firing should be doing . It's misleading to imply that's what I or anyone else promoting it's ok to dry fire is saying THanks

OPā€¦ I canā€™t help you on the dry fire thingā€¦ seems everyone else canā€¦ LOL.

I can say my 4.25 Prodigy had lots of issues right out of the box. 20K plus serial number.
Roughly 150 rounds the day after I bought it, mix of ammo and mags, after a proper field strip, clean and oil.
I couldnā€™t shoot more than 5 shots without issue.
Called SA, RMA and label to email in 10 minutes, pistol to them in 2 days, back to me in less than 10 business days, roughly 500 rounds plus since, flawless.

I knew, from reading here, videos, other forums, etc. It would be a crap shoot. I got one that needed help, SA was outstanding in the warranty dept.

Among the repairs were ream/polish barrel, refit barrel, polish ramp, replace sear spring, polish and tune extractorā€¦

I think for the price point of a Double stack style 1911, SA hit the mark. I thinkā€¦with less than $50 in parts and some elbow grease (read, clean up and polishing) this could be even better. $500 in parts and elbow grease, itā€™ll rival those costing quite a bit more.

Pick it up, if itā€™s a problem, SA will take care of it, painlessly.
I did pick it up. If I have issues I'll blame you ? JK. I'm sure it will be fine . I can fix it with quality parts if need be myself. I was just curious what I was getting into . Especially after MAC (Wouldn't you know it) Military arms had trouble with his :) It's not funny but is . If a Youtuber is going to have trouble with a new product . MAC seems to almost always get a bad one . LOL But the guy does a good service .

I know my Smith at my LGS said they have had a few issues with the full size model, not going back into battery. I told him the issue I had with my RO Operator also in 9mm doing the same thing, I called SA CS and asked what the weight was on the recoil spring, told me 9lb spring, so what I did was to take the spring out of my Kimber 9mm which has a 12lb spring, issue gone, gun function properly then, so my shop now keeps a supply of the 12lb spring in case any customer needs one and had the same issue, I know @SimonRL here had this issue and I mentioned to him the 12lb spring and I think he replaced his with that spring rate

Last edited:
I also looked thru 3 different companies owners manuals for modern guns . While none said it's ok to drive fire . None warned not to .
take the hint...

just cuz the manuals don't say it's ok to dry fire

doesn't meant that it is either.

you treat your guns your way

i'll treat mine, my way

I did pick it up. If I have issues I'll blame you ? JK. I'm sure it will be fine . I can fix it with quality parts if need be myself. I was just curious what I was getting into . Especially after MAC (Wouldn't you know it) Military arms had trouble with his :) It's not funny but is . If a Youtuber is going to have trouble with a new product . MAC seems to almost always get a bad one . LOL But the guy does a good service .
Better get in back of the line to blame meā€¦.that one stretches around the blockā€¦ LOL.
Yeah, Iā€™ve watched plenty of YouTubers with zero issues, plenty with issues. Luck of the draw man. I like and respect Rob Schaulandā€¦ and he did a couple good vids on the Prodigy.

From what Iā€™ve read, most likely same as you, the 4.25 seem to report fewer issues than the 5ā€, butā€¦ I was on the wrong side of the 4.25 coinā€¦LOL.

Good luck, itā€™s a shooter. I got mine back just before Christmas and first mag of 20 at 7 yards was very, very impressive.

Better get in back of the line to blame meā€¦.that one stretches around the blockā€¦ LOL.
Yeah, Iā€™ve watched plenty of YouTubers with zero issues, plenty with issues. Luck of the draw man. I like and respect Rob Schaulandā€¦ and he did a couple good vids on the Prodigy.

From what Iā€™ve read, most likely same as you, the 4.25 seem to report fewer issues than the 5ā€, butā€¦ I was on the wrong side of the 4.25 coinā€¦LOL.

Good luck, itā€™s a shooter. I got mine back just before Christmas and first mag of 20 at 7 yards was very, very impressive.
Thank you . If I didn't work on guns all the time I wouldn't have bought it . It's a nice handgun for someone like me can buy a few hundred dollars of EGW parts and tune it up. I also see videos talking about how heavy it is and that it's steel . Then I see Staccato has a Model P in steel and aluminum both . I ran out back and put 100 rounds thru it . Worked fine and shot super flat . Maybe they have worked some of the bugs out since last summer . Since the vast majority of videos we are seeing online were made 6-8 months if not more ago. Thanks for the reply

I know my Smith at my LGS said they have had a few issues with the full size model, not going back into battery. I told him the issue I had with my RO Operator also in 9mm doing the same thing, I called SA CS and asked what the weight was on the recoil spring, told me 9lb spring, so what I did was to take the spring out of my Kimber 9mm which has a 12lb spring, issue gone, gun function properly then, so my shop now keeps a supply of the 12lb spring in case any customer needs one and had the same issue, I know @SimonRL here had this issue and I mentioned to him the 12lb spring and I think he replaced his with that spring rate
Correct. Mine is a 5in with an 09XXX Erika number. Bought it the weekend they went on sale. Had a handful of FTFs in the first 100 rds and then it sorted itself out. I had a spare set of recoil springs and swapped out to the 12lb spring on @Annihilatorā€™s recommendation (did the same with my RO as well) and Iā€™m at 2000 trouble free rounds. Iā€™ve run the Dawson one-piece recoil rod and the 10-8 reverse plug with a GI guide rod and spring and it has been great with both. Currently have the Dawson rod in because it captures the spring and makes breaking the gun down a little less exciting than the 10-8 set up.

Yeah I hear you . Plus these videos that are from 2 months ago are actually at the very least 5 months old . I know for a fact with MAC . He taped a Video for Shooting Sight Tav D Trigger for the IWI Tavor. It was 5 months before that video played on Youtube . I know it took that long because I was there . That was at least 9 years ago. So when he is posting Videos now I'm guessing they are every bit that delayed . You make great points .

I've shot a Staccato P . It was a nice gun no doubt . However I bought the Bul Armory's because they shot every bit as well and had more features I liked . IMO only thing Staccato was superior over Bul with was the finish . Which is a minor concern . Thanks Again
Just took my prodigy out. What a nightmare. Failure to go into battery, failure to feed on every two or three rounds fired. Ended up putting a littler over 1200 rounds through it. After about 700 the 20 round mag was good to go but on the last two mags I had at least 3 failure to feed on that mag.

Back