testtest

Vinyl Gun Wrap experience/opinions??

Trebor657

Operator

I've been thinking about using a vinyl gun wrap on my EDC....I've done some research and watched "how to" videos
but I am still undecided.... I wouldn't want anything bright or goofy, just something to make it a little different from the
factory finish....if I did decide to try one, I would likely only wrap the slide....don't think I would like the frame and grip done...

I think my biggest concern is how durable the finish would be since the pistol gets carried everyday....just wondering if
anyone has done this and has any advice and/or "real world" experience they could share.....Thanks for any input...

Vinyl gun wrap seems like a dollar discount way of modifying the appearance of your firearms. I'd recommend a good Cerekote job instead for longevity and a premium appearance. @xdman is a forum member that actually does professional Cerekote work and it maybe worth reaching out to him for custom options.

So to get the vinyl to properly adhere you need to degrease the metal. Depending on your situation/firearm/weather you just unprotected your metal and it can rust. In the South East don’t wrap a carbon steel gun, it will rust. In a low humidity area your milage may be different. I have had to repair a few shotguns.

I think it's a bad idea. Have it cerakoted. @xdman does great work and has great prices and service.
I've always heard that the two enemies of your guns are rust and politicians. That said, I agree with Bassbob about having it cerakoted, or you could go in another direction and purchase a new stainless steel handgun. Either way, I usually wipe my carry guns down at the end of the day to prevent rust and this has worked well for me. :)

I've always heard that the two enemies of your guns are rust and politicians. That said, I agree with Bassbob about having it cerakoted, or you could go in another direction and purchase a new stainless steel handgun. Either way, I usually wipe my carry guns down at the end of the day to prevent rust and this has worked well for me. :)
3rd enemy…….storing your gun in a leather holster when your not carrying it…

I am well experienced in this matter as I have wrapped pistols (semi only) and rifles (semi and ba). The bcg is a "don't waste your time", but the rest of the rifle is ok. Bolt guns are good to go. Semi auto pistols are"iffy" at best. Don't cover the "hood" area. While I live in mostly dry climate I have no experience in humid areas (re; @xdman). Holsters can wear a lot on wraps. It doesn't handle abuse (not abused) wear. It can be more of a showcase weapon. Cost is low and recovering (if you have extra left over) requires the same process as new covering of. A many has stated before me "a good cerakote" or rattle can (I have used rattle can application many times). I'll post pic of what I've wrapped late.

So to get the vinyl to properly adhere you need to degrease the metal. Depending on your situation/firearm/weather you just unprotected your metal and it can rust. In the South East don’t wrap a carbon steel gun, it will rust. In a low humidity area your milage may be different. I have had to repair a few shotguns.
While your statement is partially true, the firearm isn't unprotected. IF it is properly wrapped it seals out moisture and chemicals (oil, most cleaners and firearm wipes) are safe. I have had some firearms wrapped for more than 4 years.

If you are really wanting to change the look of your firearm, I recommend Cerakote for durability and looks.

Here is my FAL war horse on hogs and it is a durable abused finish
D4492B3E-BFB5-4AF8-BD16-8C80B3953034.jpeg

People use Pistols for recreation and collect them.....
I can see how they might want them decorated "tastefully".... ....often decorating pistols seems to go paste good taste IMO....
One advantage to vinyl wrap is it can be done by an amateur without much practice, learning skills or even much effort, plus it can be reversed (removed) by the same amateur...

There is a writing and opinions that solid black firearms do not fit the camo scheme and would be the first things spotted in a camouflage situation... ...that is usually rifles and not pistols though.... ....and pistols, I have my doubts that an intricate camouflage paint job would be an more effective than it being a solid earth tone color or two tone in earth colors....

I have more Flat Dark Earth Pistols than I do black, and I do not expect to be using them in combat in the forests or deserts, simple because I like the color...

I've seen a few commemorative pistols with intricate designs that have caught my eye and if I could afford to have every pistol that catches my eye in my collection, I might buy them...

There are some that don't seem distasteful, but not for me, that is a lot of the vinyl wraps, like the American Flag designs, hey that's pretty cool, but I don't really see the point....

Then you have stenciling patterns and splatter designs, that looks like they are imitating kids water gun with rattle can graffiti artwork projects, I take one look at them and say, "I never knew Jackson Pollock worked in Cerakote"....

I cerakoted this myself, the graphic is stenciled on (used a cricut machine to make the stencils), this is about as much artwork on a pistol I'm willing to go, otherwise it looks gaudy IMO....
20221017_014939.jpg

Camo, yes I admit, functionally it unnecessary, an all black rifle is not good camo, but just using an earthen color or break it up with several earthen colors would probably be all that is necessary and intricate pattern are wasting time....
But IMO, they look cool, so I have done, this one is in Duracoat which seems adequately tough...
rs20211212_222141.jpg

I have an XD-M .45ACP all apart and some of it degreased, working on cricut patterns to do in Desert MARPAT.....

Back