testtest

well....i'm going to jail

I was on jury selection where they asked if anyone felt that barring a preponderance of evidence a police officer’s word was not sufficient. I raised my hand and was subsequently told I was no longer needed and could carry on with the rest of my day.

I was on jury selection where they asked if anyone felt that barring a preponderance of evidence a police officer’s word was not sufficient. I raised my hand and was subsequently told I was no longer needed and could carry on with the rest of my day.
did that mean you were "let go" from anymore jury duty or just that day..?? and return the next day..??

Last edited:
I got called two or three times when I worked for HSS. I got one day's pay and I got released after sitting in the Jury Room for a couple hours.

I made it as far as Voire Dire once. The defense attorney asked the jury pool if anyone understood the difference between guilty Beyond A Reasonable Doubt and preponderance of the evidence. I said I did I explained it to him. He said you seem to have a good grasp on this and they booted me out of the jury pool about 10 minutes later

I got called to the city court earlier this year. I sat there for an hour and a half I ate a couple of free donuts and then the City DA came in and dismissed everybody in the jury pool and they handed each of us a $5 bill and cut us loose.

I got a jury duty notice years ago. I mentioned it to my Dr. at the VA, he said he would take care of it. I called the courthouse before the date listed and they said they had received a letter from the VA and it was now on file. Don't know what they said in the letter but it's been over 10 yrs ago. Maybe they said I was dead?
My wife, who's fully disabled, received a notice to report for jury duty. Told her doctor and he said no. He has the fax number straight into the jury selection people to fax their excuses in. Handled in 15 minutes. Besides, they don't have medical beds in the jury box for her.

BUT ... had she had the opportunity to go she said she promised to say "GUILTY"!

As for me, the last time I was called was back in the very late '70's or the early '80's. Was called a few times back then.

Got selected and served on a week long rape trial. It was spinning our heads all week long and then ... it was like a Perry Mason or Matlock case, but in reverse. In the last 15 minutes the prosecutor introduced the BRIGHT YELLOW hip waders that the guy always wore during his crime, tied his whole case together. Maybe 15 minutes to find him guilty.

When leaving I rode down the elevator with the defense attorney. He laughed, told me we got it right. I told him he made it pretty hard for us to get it right. Lol! (That is his job and he was pretty good at it)

I have been called to jury duty exactly 1 time. I knew I wouldn't be selected for the jury concerning this trial. My dad went to work as a farm hand for Bob Baker and his dad in 1963. Their farm was on the South West side of town. When General Tire bought their farm for a new tire plant , they moved to Dix.

This crime happened after Bob Baker passed away and his sister and brother-in-law moved into the house. Lucy baker was Bob's sister and she was also the librarian at the high school I attended. She is the one who found her sister and is mentioned in the following article ....

ttps://law.justia.com/cases/illinois/supreme-court/1988/62883-7.html

After first trying to tell the clerk why I wasn't going to be called on the first day , because I knew it would be a waste of time , he told me I would get my chance to tell the judge . So I sat an entire week until I was called to sit in front of the judge. When I was asked if I thought there was any reason I should be excused I looked right at the Mr. Jones and stated that I would like to see the killer hanged. Bang went the gavel and I was dismissed.

I have never been summoned all these years after and that first trial happened in the early 80's.

Well for some reason the link won't open after my copy and paste . Anyway the defendant killed Mrs. Dare and left Mr.Dare for dead. They were gone when the guy broke in and they came home and found him still there. He stole a TV and a phonograph. As for Mr Dares injuries , I'll just say that had he been a young man , he would never have been able to have children after .

Last edited:
If its anything like Jury Duty in my County, you'll spend the majority of your time sitting a big room with the rest of the Jury Pool. There'll be plenty of time to nap. ;)
I've been called a couple of times. First time we sat a listened to testimony for 3 days about a traffic accident law suit. The Judge ended up throwing the case out. :rolleyes:
The second time was a criminal case. The question was asked "Do you know any police officers personally?" I raised my hand. I'm a mechanic for the City. I know just about all of them by their first name. Dismissed. 😁

did that mean you were "let go" from anymore jury duty or just that day..?? and return the next day..??
They didn’t want me on the jury. The whole thing was a waste of time. The police pulled over a Latino truck driver with a CDL for not signaling. He said he did, the police said he didn’t, but there was no footage of any kind. This is Texas. No one signals. And no one gets pulled over - unless you’re not white.

They didn’t want me on the jury. The whole thing was a waste of time. The police pulled over a Latino truck driver with a CDL for not signaling. He said he did, the police said he didn’t, but there was no footage of any kind. This is Texas. No one signals. And no one gets pulled over - unless you’re not white.
ok, i really did not know what you had meant, when the DA or judge or whomever told you to "Carry on with the rest of your day"

cuz to me, that meant, "go home (for that day only), and come back tomorrow, to finish the rest of your required time here"

ok, i really did not know what you had meant, when the DA or judge or whomever told you to "Carry on with the rest of your day"

cuz to me, that meant, "go home (for that day only), and come back tomorrow, to finish the rest of your required time here"
Some day I’ll tell you the long story. It’s actually quite funny. There was a litany of rust ions they asked which I replied to. The not considering the word of a policeman was the straw that broke the camel’s back. It was pretty clear that the prosecutor was not inviting me back the following day!

What's sad is that there were people who were actually ok with just taking an officer's word. To take anyone's word as the sole basis for a case is insane.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose I'm the odd duck once again. I always considered jury duty a civic responsibility, and served without qualm when selected.
No You're Not. Like voting I also consider jury duty a "civic responsibility" and would happily serve. But you may not like my service. There is the law and then there is what's right. ("Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a ass" Charles Dickens). My post was accurate, and I was a prison guard, not my fault that the DA and the Def. acted the way they did. Nice up here on our high horse aint it? :devilish:

Lol, last time when I got jury duty letter, called them up and said I worked at my sheriff dept and jail, told me it made no difference, so I proceeded to say, I am around inmates all day and every dam one of them are guilty……the lady then asked how do you know this, I told her since there in jail, there guilty of something …… I did have to go into the court house but when they got to my name in roll call, I got excused…..😬😬
Love it

What's sad is that there were people who were actually ok with just taking an officer's word. To take anyone's word as the sole basis for a case is insane.
It is sad. There was a time in this Country that when a man gave his word it meant something. People were honest, a deal was made with a hand shake, you were innocent until proven guilty. People don't teach their boys to be men anymore. Almost everyone has forgotten the values that made this Country great.

It is sad. There was a time in this Country that when a man gave his word it meant something. People were honest, a deal was made with a hand shake, you were innocent until proven guilty. People don't teach their boys to be men anymore.

Outside of a courtroom and a legal context, I agree. But as the basis for a legal case, proceeding based on someone's "word" without a preponderance of evidence to back it up, is a system that is ripe for abuse, or at a minimum, for terrible rulings based on incompetence. And this was true back in the "good 'ol days" as well (and those abuses happened all the time).

Back