testtest

Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)

While I don't carry my 1911 very often, I find that it being a .45, I am not as concerned with the round capacity. My 9s, with the exception of my shield M2.0 9, have at least 10 rounds. Well, my M&P 2.0 .45C holds 10 rounds, and that is plenty for me. My preferred carry is my Shield Perfomance Center 4" .45, and that has a capacity of 7, which I am comfortable with a .45. And with ALL of them, I carry a spare mag.

I have one that holds 15 in the Mag and 1 in the pipe and I don't think I can hide it on my skinny butt, anywhere... Maybe a skinny 1911 might work.
13+1 XD Mod 2 4" service model .45 ACP. Clinger No Print Wonder OWB under a light jacket or overshirt.
Llama Max II 13 round 4" 1911 double stack. Conceals as well as the XD, but is much heavier and much pickier on ammo.
H&K P30L. 17+1 9mm. Muddy River Tactical OWB. Conceals very well under an overshirt.

The US Military used the 1911 for 70+ yrs. It worked.
I think folks dont like a 1911 because its harder to train on than a 9mm due to recoil. It takes most a bit longer to master a .45 than a 9mm .
The Browning Hi Power and German semi autos were prevalent during and after WW2. If the 1911 was not good, it would not have made it thru so many conflicts of war and US would have switched to another design like our peers or enemies

I dont carry a .45 daily due to weight of a nice fully loaded 1911. Has nothing to do with round count.
Heck for a long time I carried a 10 rd 228 and hi-power.

It boils down to training and mastery. Most cant master a 9mm plastic wonder let alone a heavier .45 and recoil.
You nailed it-training with the 1911 turns on the lights. The more you do it the better you like it. Kind of like.....

I learned to shoot handguns on two platforms owned by my uncle and they are still my go too today 50 odd years later. One was a Colt Commander and the other a S&W Jframe, no don't know the model. For years I had 1911s but they are all gone due to my Dr's recommendations, kind of...

My most carried pistol these days is a Browning 1911 in .380.

20210530_130407.jpg

And my most carried handgun extant is still a Jframe Smith.

20221108_123712.jpg

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Yes, I like a 1911...

Could you not do the paperclip trick?
my hands are not as strong as they used to be, that's one

and second, no one showed me that "trick", so as a result, i had to push the recoil spring with my thumb, and if i had chapped fingers, like i do at times, it was murder on them.

edit....i just looked up that "trick"...

mine did not have that hole in an easy position to get to, doing it the way it shows.

that hole in my guide rod was not aligned with the slide to get at easily, it was "off center" so to speak, meaning that the dust cover, well...covered up that hole.....

so........i had to remove the slide, THEN push the guide rod further that if the slide was still mounted onto the frame, THEN, insert that insipid tool......

and my thumb, again, if i had chapped fingers, which i do quite often, made it murder on my hands.

in the end, dumping that gun was well worth it to me.....

no more bull barrels for me.

Last edited:
Could you not do the paperclip trick?
Yep. In fact, the 1911s I’ve had came with a little pre-bent “tool” to capture the recoil spring. But there have been times I couldn’t find it, so I used the paper clip trick. Still more of a PITA than flicking a lever on the side of the slide and popping the slide right off. If you hold the gun at the wrong angle while trying to remove the slide stop, the tool will fall out. Trying to hold the gun at the correct angle to not have the tool fall out while pushing the back of the slide stop, lining up the notch on the slide then pulling the slide stop out is a true test of dexterity. I’ve only had two 1911s and apparently, both had bull barrels. Haven’t had one where the recoil spring didn’t need to be captured.

my hands are not as strong as they used to be, that's one

and second, no one showed me that "trick", so as a result, i had to push the recoil spring with my thumb, and if i had chapped fingers, like i do at times, it was murder on them.

edit....i just looked up that "trick"...

mine did not have that hole in an easy position to get to, doing it the way it shows.

that hole in my guide rod was not aligned with the slide to get at easily, it was "off center" so to speak, meaning that the dust cover, well...covered up that hole.....

so........i had to remove the slide, THEN push the guide rod further that if the slide was still mounted onto the frame, THEN, insert that insipid tool......

and my thumb, again, if i had chapped fingers, which i do quite often, made it murder on my hands.

in the end, dumping that gun was well worth it to me.....

no more bull barrels for me.
If you rack the slide back with the slide stop catching, you can access that hole pretty easily. The bend in the paper clip has to be the right length to fit in between the rod and the frame. You can insert it into hole, then release the slide. That will capture the recoil spring. Then what I’ve been doing is putting a finger in the ejection port to line up the notch to get the slide stop out. I’d rather not have to do all that, but I really like the firearm.

If you rack the slide back with the slide stop catching, you can access that hole pretty easily. The bend in the paper clip has to be the right length to fit in between the rod and the frame. You can insert it into hole, then release the slide. That will capture the recoil spring. Then what I’ve been doing is putting a finger in the ejection port to line up the notch to get the slide stop out. I’d rather not have to do all that, but I really like the firearm.
did you NOT READ where i said it did NOT WORK that way for my Emissary..??

did you NOT READ where i said i dumped that gun..???

Sheesh. A little testy? I know it’s hard to get in. Thought I’d offer a little advice. May be good advice for someone else.
you were "giving advice" to someone that dumped the gun, after i mentioned the hole was "off center" to the dust shield, and it was NOT possible.

besides, me being "testy"..

i got up at 4:30 AM, and did more work around the house before 9AM, than most people do in a month...

i ain't "testy".......i'm plum tuckered out

you were "giving advice" to someone that dumped the gun, after i mentioned the hole was "off center" to the dust shield, and it was NOT possible.

i got up at 4:30 AM, and did more work around the house before 9AM, than most people do in a month...

So you’re grumpy, and testy …
The ALL CAPS wasnt a clue at all 🤪🤪🤪

1684005859911.gif

The US Military used the 1911 for 70+ yrs. It worked.
I think folks dont like a 1911 because its harder to train on than a 9mm due to recoil. It takes most a bit longer to master a .45 than a 9mm .
The Browning Hi Power and German semi autos were prevalent during and after WW2. If the 1911 was not good, it would not have made it thru so many conflicts of war and US would have switched to another design like our peers or enemies

I dont carry a .45 daily due to weight of a nice fully loaded 1911. Has nothing to do with round count.
Heck for a long time I carried a 10 rd 228 and hi-power.

It boils down to training and mastery. Most cant master a 9mm plastic wonder let alone a heavier .45 and recoil.
I am fairly new at concealed carry, and I own 4 9mm and 3 1911 .45 ACP. When I started training with them, I am far more accurate with my 1911s than I am with the 9mms. Can't explain it, as I am a small person with very small hands. I carry a Hellcat because my 1911s are too big for me and will print all over the place. I do carry a .45 when we are out in the bush though, cuz the critters don't care if I print, lol.

I’m with you, I love my RO compact, but hated the breakdown and field stripping. It’s why I ordered a 1911 ultra tool, https://www.1911ultratool.com/

Honestly changed my relationship with that gun. It makes it a lot easier although it appears the guy has updated his tool design.

So if you ever get into another one that requires something, perhaps this will work for you. Beats the hell out of the paperclip
Method granted it costs more.
DCF4F532-86F7-4B75-A07C-CA1E5B80D2DE.jpeg
9A188889-4E55-48EE-927E-4451AD049187.jpeg

Added pictures, slips right over the guide rod with the slide back and you can rotate it around to find those offset holes. I think mine was like 20 bucks at the time.

Back