testtest

Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)

I’m with you, I love my RO compact, but hated the breakdown and field stripping. It’s why I ordered a 1911 ultra tool, https://www.1911ultratool.com/

Honestly changed my relationship with that gun. It makes it a lot easier although it appears the guy has updated his tool design.

So if you ever get into another one that requires something, perhaps this will work for you. Beats the hell out of the paperclip
Method granted it costs more.View attachment 39525View attachment 39526

Added pictures, slips right over the guide rod with the slide back and you can rotate it around to find those offset holes. I think mine was like 20 bucks at the time.
I like that!! They look a little different now, but I seriously may be getting one. Thanks!!

I’m with you, I love my RO compact, but hated the breakdown and field stripping. It’s why I ordered a 1911 ultra tool, https://www.1911ultratool.com/

Honestly changed my relationship with that gun. It makes it a lot easier although it appears the guy has updated his tool design.

So if you ever get into another one that requires something, perhaps this will work for you. Beats the hell out of the paperclip
Method granted it costs more.View attachment 39525View attachment 39526

Added pictures, slips right over the guide rod with the slide back and you can rotate it around to find those offset holes. I think mine was like 20 bucks at the time.
thanks, but that's a LARGE NO, in getting another bull barrel 1911.

i'd rather buy a Hi Point instead

thanks, but that's a LARGE NO, in getting another bull barrel 1911.

i'd rather buy a Hi Point instead
IMG_1781.gif

Used by the military until the mid-80s? Heck, I was in the most modernized division in the Gulf War, yet we all carried 1911 (except the hierarchy which carried the "new" Berettas). A long time ago, purchased an SA M1911A1 with no regrets. Used it to qualify for CCL and re-qualify every time. We live in a rural area and I carry while out on the property and have used it several times to eliminate critters of all stripes. It hits where I aim at and the effects are immediate. Wouldn't trade it for any other pistol.

I think that the author was spot on with this article. IMHO the vast improvement in magazine quality for both the 1911/DS1911 and CNC machining has greatly contributed to this platform's performance over the years. Also competitive shooting sports has had a positive impact on tuning of this platform. Back in 1995 when concealed carry became legal in my state I carried a 1911 and for a number of years it was my EDC in a number of variations. Now in my later years I carry something smaller, lighter, and more comfortable when I am out locally. However, if I am going to less "friendly" locations, it is my DS1911 with an extra mag. I have and I have shot may different hand guns and for me there is nothing I have found that is easer to shoot well than this platform.

Sure striker fired guns are a great tool and yea you can go shoot a 1,000-1,500 round 3 day course but is that a realistic comparison?

Where they have an issue is running a 1,000-1,500 round so if that’s what one is into and they treat their gun like a lawn mower a striker is probably better for them!

1911’a are more dependable than a lot want to believe. plenty of people have issues with strikers I’ve seen with their home made YouTube armorer attempts at an match or any of the training courses I attend each year from many top name relevant teachers!
I have had zero reliability issues with my Springfield Mil-Spec when running high round count multi day courses. I also do basic cleaning at night because that's just the smart thing to do.

However, I've told this before, but some years ago I purchased three Auto Ordnance GI 1911s and I ran one of them from early spring into late fall without cleaning it once. 100+ rounds a week through the gun, somewhere between 2,600 - 3,000 rounds, it never had an issue.

My first and only experience with a 1911 was a Spanish made Clone. It was a Jam-O-Matic. No matter what ammo I fed it, after 2 or 3 shots, it would jam. I couldn't sell that gun fast enough. So I admit to being a little biased against it just because of that experience. It's a complex design, and some are a right PITA to strip and clean. Not being a wealthy man, I've never had the $1k to $4k to buy a top shelf model. Now that I'm retired on a small barely adequate pension, I doubt I'll ever have the chance to own one

I know I will probably get flammed for this post but...... My last carry pistol was the SA EMP4. I have nothing wrong with the 1911 platform. I currently have the Prodigy DS in 4.25. I agree with your article for many of the points. But let's be clear. The military 1911's were not tight pistols. They rattles and made noise due to who all made them at the time. So they worked in some very poor situations without the required cleaning that today's 1911 pistols need. In the article you make note of the lower quality pistols. Yet, the Prodigy was just released a 6 months or so ago and it has been plagued with problems. It is not a cheap low quality pistol. I shouldn't have to ream the chamber to get it to cycle correctly. The magazines for them are horrible out of the package. When I pulled the base off my magazines, the spring and follower would not just fall out. The follower was cocked and binding. Easy fix for someone that is looking for this type of problem. But to a new 1911 owner? You cerekoted the rails. You under sprung the 5" version. If you look at the statistics, so many of the Prodigy's had to go back to SA to get corrected. And with todays Social Media and how fast information travels, releasing with these issues was a huge mistake. It has given SA a black eye. I love my prodigy, but it wasn't cheap getting it to where I would trust it at a USPSA or IDPA match. It is the flattest and softest shooting pistol I own. But for the first 2 months it was nothing but FTE/FTF and Magazine issues. Considering that I made a decision that I was going to make this pistol work regardless of the cost is one I am regretting. With over 1300 in parts alone on top of the cost of the pistol I could have bought other brands with a current track record with the 2011 platform. These are the type of poblems that will stay with SA for a long while. Now with USPSA opening up the Limited Optics Class I am sure there will be more folks shooting them in matches. But to be honest. I moved on to one of those so called Striker Fired pistols that just works. And no, I didn't buy a cheap one of those either. So reading this article to me comes off as a purist that just loved the 1911 platform regardless of all else making excuses for folks not being like him. I get that the 1911 has a very distinguished history. One it has earned. And being a retired Infantry Marine I carried one for many years. But not opening your eyes and mind makes me think if you follow this articles suggestions or opinions, we would still be pulling carts with horses and mules. Progress moves forward and technology and designs change. Doesn't mean they are bad, just different. The 1911 will always have a place in the gun world. It has earned that and still is one of the top contenders in just about every class in competition. But when you look at the total folks shooting competition compared to just owning and recreational shooting as well as for self defense. The 1911 market is miniscule by comparison.

I started with 1911 in Beautiful SE ASIA (take a guess) my particular job I was not "supposed" to carry a weapon as long as i had a big red cross target on my back. ADVISED... "get rid of the damn target, carry a couple of 1911's!" pretty damn good advice bein as how i am still alive ( or pretty close) They had a rattle or two. SO WHAT! they shot straight enough to save my bacon a few times. I carried for the rest of my life and mostly 1911"s Cheap? That is a relative term. how about value priced!! HELL YES! There ARE a few things that need attention. LEARN ABOUT THEM!!! Change, modify whatever. the big swoopy beavertails? Didn't have one. Had a commander hammer and beavertail that fit it. Grips? make em sticky! Sights? I made my own and made the front one big! REAL BIG because thats the one I wanted to get lined up! rear sights? ever have crazy people shooting at you ? You aren't going to have time to bullseye shoot them!!! Made for a weapon not a damn rich mans bragging tool. you want to brag?

I carry a 1911 every day for work and have done so for more than 35 years…..in government service. I have been overseas frequently in some remote and dangerous areas and my 1911s were always along for the trip. I have a couple hundred thousand rounds down range through my 1911s and have been in some tough situations…….they never let me down and are superb pistols but need a little more care than some other platforms. I don’t remember the last time I had a gun related malfunction….I did have a bad batch of ammo 11 years ago during a training class - out of 1000 rounds, 150 were out of spec……I sure got a lot of practice clearing malfunctions!!!!!!!! In fact the ammo manufacture came to our office to look at the left over ammo and said it was out of spec and he couldn’t understand how it made it through QC….as an aside he sent me two cases as replacement ammo…….
I also shoot and occasionally carry other platforms like the Glock, and also like them a lot. But nothing compares to a 1911 in my opinion……and God willing I will continue to carry one….YMMV but that is what makes life fun. Stay safe and healthy.

I know I will probably get flamed for this post but...... But when you look at the total folks shooting competition compared to just owning and recreational shooting as well as for self defense. The 1911 market is miniscule by comparison.
fire-flames.gif

do you have absolute stats on that comparison..???

and yet, many 1911 models are hard to get..???

HHHMMMmmmmmmm............

I’ve never met anyone that hates the 1911. People all think they’re cool weapons and like them, they just don’t shoot them for the most part.
I have...and it's usually the younger generations who also think ICE cars are dinosaurs and don't understand the love we have for them as real cars.

fire-flames.gif

do you have absolute stats on that comparison..???

and yet, many 1911 models are hard to get..???

HHHMMMmmmmmmm............
Clearly this guy hasnt shot much competition. This may exist in some particular event, but when I was shooting PPC and other handgun matches 1911 ruled the roost. In fact PPC came up with a "factory auto" division that could not be a 1911.

Well the haters are those that don't understand the 1911. Scared of it. Think polymer is cool. Those that think that G pistol is the greatest are the same that think Mustangs are performance cars and sit in turn one if the Indy 500 just to watch for crashes.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/why-people-hate-the-1911-and-why-theyre-wrong/.

I have a Springfield EMP4 as my EDC and I love it! When the new Prodigy came out I saved up and now I have one. I have the 4.25 and I love it. I think the metal guns are so much easier to manage recoil. I also teach conceal carry and basic pistol and I always tell new shooters - especially women - smaller doesn't mean easier. In fact, it's usually the opposite. My P365 is harder to shoot than my EMP4.
I also prefer the 1911 trigger - there's not a lot of travel time in them.

Back