testtest

Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)

I have a Ruger 1911 45 and out of the many pistols I have, it is by far the most accurate. It is comfortable to hold and has a perfect pull. Since we have open carry here (I do both) I sometimes wear it as a side arm, especially when going the range. Have an excellent leather holster in which it fits perfectly. Couldn't ask for a better, IMHO.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/why-people-hate-the-1911-and-why-theyre-wrong/.

I'm a big fan of the 1911 and don't know any of the people you reference in the article that hate them. I currently own 8 and I wholeheartedly agree that you get what you pay for. My first was a SA V12 Ported, that I bought used that would occasionally jam. I sent it back to Springfield who did some work on it and it has worked flawlessly for years. I also like the fact that the 1911 platform is available in 9mm & 10mm. There is just something about the way they feel in your hand, they way they point, and most are just great looking guns. My favorite is my Standard Manufacturing engraved and with a true case-hardened finish, and no cast parts, a truly beautiful firearm. My guess is long after I'm gone someone will write about the 1911 "200 years and still going strong"!

I have a number, and variety, of 1911's and knock-offs. My favorite is my 1913 Colt 1911. Great shooter for being 110 years old. I was in the Army from 1964 to 1994 and an armorer twice. If the weapon is maintained it is extremely accurate, just take car of it and keep it serviced. I feel it is the greatest hand gun ever produced! Plus, it is just fun to shoot.

I have a number, and variety, of 1911's and knock-offs. My favorite is my 1913 Colt 1911. Great shooter for being 110 years old. I was in the Army from 1964 to 1994 and an armorer twice. If the weapon is maintained it is extremely accurate, just take car of it and keep it serviced. I feel it is the greatest hand gun ever produced! Plus, it is just fun to shoot.
Wisdom of a seasoned warrior there!

I think a lot of the issue is that many people don't understand the 1911. JMB designed it as a Combat Sidearm. It was designed to live in the mud, blood and crud and keep working. Therefore it was originally built with rather generous tolerances. No, It wasn't a tack driver, but it was plenty enough combat accurate.
But somewhere around the 1960s, folks discovered that if they tighten this old warhorse up, it can be superbly accurate. And that's where the trouble started. The tighter they get, the more unreliable they get. It took probably 30 years for makers to find that balance between accuracy and reliability. I believe this is where a lot of those 1911s are unreliable stories came from. Today there are many 1911s from many makers that are both reliable and accurate.

Secondly, bear in mind that many of today's shooters are on average 30-40 years old. They were born around the same time the plastic, striker fired guns (Glock) were. To them the 1911 was already an antique from a long lost age. They have no interest in them and all they know are the internet myths they read. Plus you have those who are uncomfortable with cocked and locked carry.

Finally, the 1911 is a gun that takes practice and patience to master. One must be willing to put in the time and work to make swiping off the thumb safety a completely automatic reflex action you don't even think about. In a " I want it right now!" world, many people just aren't willing to do that.

The 1911 isn't hated, its just misunderstood. ;)

I have...and it's usually the younger generations who also think ICE cars are dinosaurs and don't understand the love we have for them as real cars.
Love my ICE cars, my 1911s, and my .45 ACP S&W revolver. I'm a smallish female but my EDC is a Wilson Combat 1911 (commander size) or a Hellcat Pro if I need to have better concealment. I took a 2 day John Farnum course, cleaned it after the first day and had zero problems with my 1911. I have some other stuff but the 1911s are my favorites.

I hesitat to write the typical internet crap. But still I don't care what other pepole do or don't do. I have 4 1911's, three in .45ACP and one 9MM. I started shooting, and competing about 45 years ago, even won more than a few with a Springfield basic gun which was customized with a comp and smoothing. Shot that gun for years until I tried a plastic Shield. Did that for few years but eventuaqlly went back to a 1911 in 9MM Officer style made by Ruger. I don't like Ruger Autos but it was about $400 cheaper than the SA. Sorry I did that because I wish I had the SA. At 80 I don't think I'm buying any more guns (although I did just by a 2023 Mustang in Red, Red) In about 5 years of carry and range work I can't recall the Officer model every failing to do its thing. I carry it every day, everywhere except the post office. It is much lighter than a steel gun. So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it, and to my 1911's. Just ran a police qual course and shot 240 points out of a possible 250 with the little gun. Not bad for a 80 year old timer.
Congrats on the course score and the Mustang! Keep shootin' and drivin'.

One thing I will disagree with is that there are plenty of inexpensive, well built 1911s out there these days. My $479 Tisas Duty BR9 is a fantastic pistol that looks dead sexy, shoots as accurately as anything I have, has an 3.5lb trigger and has never given me a second’s grief. It has earned its place next to my Prodigy. I’m not convinced that the axiom - You get what you pay for necessarily applies to 1911s because they are mechanically proven.
1911 A1 army 5000 rounds and not one failure 👍👍👍

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/why-people-hate-the-1911-and-why-theyre-wrong/.

I don't hate the 1911, I just don't like it. I don't like Glocks either. I'm not a fan of striker fire plastic fantastic firearms. I had a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm...sold it. My preference for EDC is either a revolver or my CZ based Witness Compact steel in 10mm. I try to carry the Witness when in church because I have Sinter Fire in it to HOPEFULLY keep a missed shot from going into the nursery or children's church area. I Just prefer the DA/SA platform and the CZ design in particular. I have a TZ75 from Tanfoglio that is a direct CZ clone, the Witness is also made by Tanfoglio. There might be a day when I get another 1911 but the Ruger was becoming a Safe Queen. I sold it to buy a Kel Tek P50 in 5.7x28.

I am and always will be a fan of the 1911’s. I would love to add a Wilson Combat and a Colt to my collection.

Attachments

• 44239AE0-74D6-44F7-9950-EC6C5B756A52.jpeg
    44239AE0-74D6-44F7-9950-EC6C5B756A52.jpeg
    865.8 KB · Views: 78
Back