testtest

Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)

I just don't like that grip safety...
Both my SA XD Mod.2 3" and XDM Elite Tactical OSP have grip safeties. I kind of like them because - if nothing else - they force me to get a decent grip on the firearm. That wasn't a bad thing when I was a newbie and now that I'm not, I don't really notice them.

I need more range time with my Ronin 4.25" 1911 and want to get a full-size (government) model at some point. I like the 1911s and respect their storied lineage, but I "grew up" in the firearms world with striker-fired pistols and they are what I carry and use the most. That said, if the Mrs. and I every get our land in the country, I'll be tempted to carry a 1911 on my belt.

If I'm snobby about this subject at all, it's that if I'm going to carry a 1911, it'll be chambered in .45 ACP as the Lord and John Browning intended.

I have...and it's usually the younger generations who also think ICE cars are dinosaurs and don't understand the love we have for them as real cars.
The kid across the street was going to do his first ever oil change on his new/used hyundai last weekend. I'm always in my garage so he came over to ask me if there was a secret to taking the drain plug out, said he had watched all the YouTube how toos and bought a $10 harbor freight tool set....Anyway the first question I asked was, was he sure he was turning the drain plug counter clockwise? He then asked me "What's That?" I said like the face of a clock and he goes, "huh?" and I asked him how does he tell time and he shows me his cell phone.......

I've had a 1911 double stack since the early 90s the name brand 1911s were out of my price range, one day I stopped into a small new gun shop near home to see what they had to my surprise they had a 1911 for just over $300 a manufacture I'd not heard of Llama but at the time 9mm with more that 8 capacity was the rage well the double stack .45 was what I wanted so I bought it (a colt at the time was over $1000 ) I have never really had trouble with the gun it's self that's not to say I haven't had issue's FTF yes but found the magazine springs were weak after being loaded for some 15 years they failed to feed after 3 or 4 shot's, now I rotate my loaded mags no more problems also found once that the gun was very dirty once cleaned the FTF was gone. The only other issue I have had was finding magazines for it when I did happen to find one it was $100 or more then on a chance I found and purchased mags for the Para Ordinance P14 that with very little modification to the mag catch port they work fantastic and for much much less and easier to find than a Llama brand mag. Yeah I'm a 1911 45 ACP fan all the way. Today's 9mm shooters are taught to ride the target/foe to the ground, I guess why they have such large capacity mag's also you need to be concerned about over pentation with the new 9mm ammo it's not that much of an issue with the 45 ACP it's slower stops faster and delivers a bit more kinetic energy to the target.

One thing I will disagree with is that there are plenty of inexpensive, well built 1911s out there these days. My $479 Tisas Duty BR9 is a fantastic pistol that looks dead sexy, shoots as accurately as anything I have, has an 3.5lb trigger and has never given me a second’s grief. It has earned its place next to my Prodigy. I’m not convinced that the axiom - You get what you pay for necessarily applies to 1911s because they are mechanically proven.
Absolutely my $300 double stack Llama 45 ACP has never let me down in 30 years.

13+1 XD Mod 2 4" service model .45 ACP. Clinger No Print Wonder OWB under a light jacket or overshirt.
Llama Max II 13 round 4" 1911 double stack. Conceals as well as the XD, but is much heavier and much pickier on ammo.
H&K P30L. 17+1 9mm. Muddy River Tactical OWB. Conceals very well under an overshirt.
I use a horizontal cross draw shoulder holster for my Llama IX double stack 45 ACP. It works.

A lot of folks like Rock Island Armory pistols, even back when they were $300 or so.
I have a Ruger 1911 that feeds and shoots just fine for me and I have no need for a high end 1911. I think if you have a decent 1911, regardless of price, it will likely be reliable if you use good magazines.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/why-people-hate-the-1911-and-why-theyre-wrong/.

Hate might be the wrong word. The reputation for unreliability didn’t come from thin air. In the 1970s and 1980s we were issued “Government Models” built in 1944. On one ship that I served on I never completed a thirty round qualification course without a jam. Poorly fitting holsters necessitated empty chamber carry. To add insult to injury, for roughly a six month period we were instructed to shoot them only in an emergency because the barrels were cracking! I drew a Ruger revolver when I could. You may find that with military and police types, once you lose their trust it’s tough to get it back.

I have a CZ PCR and a Beretta PX4 and they both are pretty much ideal carry pistols. Nothing wrong with the P365XL either and I often carry a Kahr .380 in an Alabama holster in my right front pocket when I want to be really stealth.

But I grew up shooting the 1911 platform in .45 Auto and no pistol is more satisfying to shoot, as far as I am concerned. I have a bunch of them but my Colt Defender and my Ruger commander are favorites. I carry them often.

I have had a bad time with Springfield quality recently and am particularly unhappy with an M1A Tanker I bought recently. Springfield quality control is iffy. Sad to say.

I hesitat to write the typical internet crap. But still I don't care what other pepole do or don't do. I have 4 1911's, three in .45ACP and one 9MM. I started shooting, and competing about 45 years ago, even won more than a few with a Springfield basic gun which was customized with a comp and smoothing. Shot that gun for years until I tried a plastic Shield. Did that for few years but eventuaqlly went back to a 1911 in 9MM Officer style made by Ruger. I don't like Ruger Autos but it was about $400 cheaper than the SA. Sorry I did that because I wish I had the SA. At 80 I don't think I'm buying any more guns (although I did just by a 2023 Mustang in Red, Red) In about 5 years of carry and range work I can't recall the Officer model every failing to do its thing. I carry it every day, everywhere except the post office. It is much lighter than a steel gun. So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it, and to my 1911's. Just ran a police qual course and shot 240 points out of a possible 250 with the little gun. Not bad for a 80 year old timer.

Good read. I've heard my share of people trash talk the enduring legacy. Mostly younger guys that are hung up on capacity. Truth is in most cases you either gotta suck less or bring more friends. I wanted one most of my life but was torn between what I've heard an price. Finally after study and good advice I made a decision. This article pretty much says it. I do understand there are some decent low end 1911s out there but don't scrimp. Ended up with a Springfield TRP and never once in the last four years with beaucoup rounds down range. Never regretted it. Thanks.

I'm not sure how anyone can hate a 1911. Can you ever trust a guy like that?

Other than the youth of the last 2 decades know nothing but striker fired and 17 plus rounds I chalk part of it up to the round count.

I was issued a S&W Model 15 38 in the USAF in 1986-1991 (finally had to do the M9 when I changed bases in 1991) so I had a personal 686. My first personal semi auto was a Springfield Mil Spec 1911 in 45. I had no problem with a 8 shot 1911.

I guess because it was beat into our heads to get it done with 6 rounds instead of slapping the trigger for 15, 16 or 17 plus times! So having 2 more rounds in a 1911 was an epic improvement some today just don’t get it!

Other than the youth of the last 2 decades know nothing but striker fired and 17 plus rounds I chalk part of it up to the round count.

I was issued a S&W Model 15 38 in the USAF in 1986-1991 (finally had to do the M9 when I changed bases in 1991) so I had a personal 686. My first personal semi auto was a Springfield Mil Spec 1911 in 45. I had no problem with a 8 shot 1911.

I guess because it was beat into our heads to get it done with 6 rounds instead of slapping the trigger for 15, 16 or 17 plus times! So having 2 more rounds in a 1911 was an epic improvement some today just don’t get it!

Well, I have plenty of strikers. And plenty of them are 17+1.

One thing I disagree with is all the " If you can't get it done with 8 rounds" stuff. As if people carrying high cap guns are somehow worse shots. There are more good reasons for high capacity mags than bad shooting.

I have a few 1911s and I love them. I almost never carry them. Weight and concealability are considerations.

One thing I disagree with is all the " If you can't get it done with 8 rounds" stuff. As if people carrying high cap guns are somehow worse shots. There are more good reasons for high capacity mags than bad shooting.

I have a few 1911s and I love them. I almost never carry them. Weight and concealability are considerations.
17+ just means less mags for me to carry. A 10 round and 21 rd fit in the same width mag carrier. 2=42 vs 4=40(10rd)

So to me its mags and space for same rd count

I have my share of higher caps as well. Just in the reality of things high round counts in shootings for normal earth people are rare.

And you will run out of time before you run out of bullets in a 15-17 rounds mag. But that’s the rage they are making higher capacities in smaller packages these days.

And from working around retail gun sales and teaching in my retired years the bulk of the selling points is capacity capacity and capacity.

I think this is what is leading to the proliferation of double stack 2011s and 2011s. You can’t beat the combo of a 1911’s trigger, weight and 16+ rounds.

Back