testtest

XD-M Elite 3.8: Best EDC 9mm?

Awesome little shooter! Seems like the grip will be a little hard to conceal. 21 rounds is pretty awesome though. I think I'll stick with my xd45 subcompact, it conceals really well with the 9+1 magazine. With the extra 13 round mag in the pocket that's 23 rounds of 45 in a package that shoots incredibly accurately.

I'm really excited to see SA update the M series. It looks good but while SA was revamping it they should have gone all out and updated the grip texture to something like the Hellcat's. I've had a 3.8 M for many years now and it has been flawless. I have concealed carried it before although it is primarily my sidearm while hog hunting. I would like to try the new Elite but other than the new trigger it may not offer me enough new features over my older 3.8. I do like the new slide serrations and ambi slide stop. It would really be a must have if it was offered in a OSP version. Hopefully in the near future there will be a 3.8 OSP option.

I have to disagree. The XDM Elite 3.8 is not the best EDC - the discontinued XDM Compact 3.8 is. The XDM Compact is much more concealable with its flush magazine and shortened grip than the XDM Elite 3.8 with its full grip. I think the flared mag well, while good for a competition pistol, also detracts from concealability of the pistol...

I feel like they discontinued the XDM Compact a year ago, as they knew the Hellcat was in the works, but I feel there is still a niche for a full sized compact, versus a sub-compact or micro.

I've tried my XDM 5.25 in the same holsters I use for my XDM Compact. The grip length makes a huge difference in concealing the pistol under a shirt, whether you carry IWB or OWB.

I have to disagree. The XDM Elite 3.8 is not the best EDC - the discontinued XDM Compact 3.8 is. The XDM Compact is much more concealable with its flush magazine and shortened grip than the XDM Elite 3.8 with its full grip. I think the flared mag well, while good for a competition pistol, also detracts from concealability of the pistol...

I feel like they discontinued the XDM Compact a year ago, as they knew the Hellcat was in the works, but I feel there is still a niche for a full sized compact, versus a sub-compact or micro.

I've tried my XDM 5.25 in the same holsters I use for my XDM Compact. The grip length makes a huge difference in concealing the pistol under a shirt, whether you carry IWB or OWB.
The XD-M Elite mag well is detachable and the mag base plate can be changed to give you the flush look you desire all while giving you the updated features of the Elite line.

The XDM compact is my edc and I agree that for concealed carry it’s hard to beat. I’ve tried to carry it with the full size 19rd mag and it’s just too big for me to hide. But it makes an awesome backup mag and having the option is a huge bonus especially at the range.
My Hellcat is great for those days I need deeper concealment but my skill set, while decent, could certainly be better and the XDM compact simply allows me to shoot better. If SA ever came out with an XDM Elite 3.8 compact I may well swoon and break my oath not to buy another edc😉

Looks great! Sadly for me, I do the opposite of what everyone else does with round count. It's great that you can have 12. 13. 15+ rounds. I'm limited to 10 here. I find it a waste to have something that could hold 20 rounds, but then limit it to 10. Kind of defeats the purpose for me. Makes me look at the single stack variety first.

I want to be able to order a slide for my old 3.8 or have this one come with cuts for an rmr
does Springfield have a custom shop?

Springfield has a custom shop, but they've really done their best to hide it on their newly revamped website! Best I can find is the phone number for the custom shop, on this page:

About the most useful thing there is the phone number - it says "For more information call Springfield Custom™ at 800.617.6751".

The old website had a page dedicated to it, and a form you would download and fill out with what modifications you wanted to make, and it had pricing on a lot of basic mods for sights, trigger jobs, etc. This makes me wonder if they are not doing mods, but rather cranking out and selling these expensive "factory modified" weapons that show on that page.

Overall I am not a huge fan of the new website, as some stuff is harder to find, or takes more clicking to get to anyway.

Springfield dropped the ball on this one, they should have made it optics ready. I don't want to walk around with a 4.5' barrel. I would have even taken a 4 inch barrel. oh well, maybe when they want to really give the buyers what they want, they'll pull their head out of the sand. I was considering the P320 rxp-xcompact, but I wanna choose my own rds. me thinks I'll go with the fn 509 midsize mrd.

Made in America?

All of the Springfield polymer framed XD series of pistols are made in Croatia by HS Produkt - including the new Hellcat. HS Produkt had a good product on the market in Europe, and Springfield contracted them to customize it and rebrand it for Springfield for sales here in the US, and I am sure since that partnership started almost 2 decades ago that the design process between the two companies has been collaborative.

Springfield makes their 1911's and rifles here in the US, to my knowledge.

Springfield dropped the ball on this one, they should have made it optics ready. I don't want to walk around with a 4.5' barrel. I would have even taken a 4 inch barrel. oh well, maybe when they want to really give the buyers what they want, they'll pull their head out of the sand. I was considering the P320 rxp-xcompact, but I wanna choose my own rds. me thinks I'll go with the fn 509 midsize mrd.

Agreed, it should not be so hard to get a duty size EDC weapon that is optics ready, and you shouldn't have to spend $200 to get someone to mill the slide for one.

I would like a red dot on my XDM 5.25 competition pistol, and unfortunately, due to the adjustable rear sight that was a reason I bought it, the choices are limited, and none of them retain the rear sight. I will probably end up with the Springer Precision mount that replaces the rear sight with a plate that will hold a red dot. The other option would be to have someone machine the slide, and replace the adjustable rear sight with a fixed rear sight.

I've been thrilled with my XDs 3.3 9mm. Easily concealed, easily carried, fast on target, fast BACK on target, only semi-snappy, less than 1" thick but still substantial enough that my XL-glove-hands have good purchase and I don't feel like I'm strangling a pencil when I try and hold it steady. My theory for EDC is, it's there so I can fight my way to safety if needed. If 7+1 isn't enough...I probably shouldn't have engaged in the first place.

That said, I DO like the Hellcat. I sent about 50 rounds through a rental not too long ago, and shoot-and-feel-wise it felt a LOT like my XDs (which is a good thing, to me). Honestly...it didn't feel different "enough" that I feel the overwhelming urge to get one likerightnow, just to add capacity.

Yet.

I'll probably hold out till more holsters and lasers are available for them, and set it up like my XDs with a Viridian ECR instant-on laser.

I like the XDM...but not for a carry piece. A friend has one and it does shoot nicely, but I just don't see carrying one around daily. Maybe it's my physique, but I just don't think I could comfortably conceal anything much larger than my XDs for daily use.

Back