testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

And…call Springfield ahead of time, tell them it “did” fall out….so you have the spares and aren’t looking for some fiber :)
Done and done, both phone and e-mail, I've got 4 rods now :) The customer support at SA is just plain great. My next project involves replacing the fiber optics with a tritium vial...

BTW, we can add norma SAFEGUARD 115gr JHP and Liberty Civil Defense 50gr MHP +P to the list of ammo that works like a charm, at least on my Prodigy.

Tomorrow's range trip will be with Hornady Critical Duty 124gr FlexLock +P and I'm going to give a go again with the SIG V-Crown.

D52733BD-2FA7-4088-BA47-7907D9288F4B.jpeg
9A030846-599B-4E77-927F-3757591BFFEF.jpeg

Anyone else running into this issue? I just got the optics plate in the mail today and went to install it. The RMR plate is about .010-.015 longer than the non optics and the A13B plate. I tried putting the RMR plate in the freezer and heating the slide up with a hair dryer but that still wouldn’t let it go on. I guess I need to call SA tomorrow. I filed down the two ribs on the bottom of the grip module to install a Dawson Precision mag well. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite me.

I believe the optic cut has a bit of a dovetail to it, and you have to slide the adapter plate in?
Sorry I didn’t take the best picture. I have it set all the way back in the dovetail. There is a ridge down the middle of the optic plate that keeps you from sliding in from the side.

Mine was very, very tight as well. Back end in first, tap with a rubber mallet.
My mag well is a Staccato gen 2. It was very, very tight, but…with a rubber mallet it popped on.

I have the same A14 plate on mine w/ a 507c.
Mine didn’t drop or plunk in either. I finagled it and tapped it with a rubber mallet, all good since.

A little Blue Loctite ( or lack of it) story.

Streamlight Rail Pro HL-X ( or something like that) mounted on a Mossberg 500 with a GG&G barrel clamp mount. No Loc-tite. Torqued at 25 inch lbs. 570 rounds through it in less than an hour last week. Mostly Sterling buck and slugs. Light is still tight.

Romeo 5 on a KSG25. Over 2k rounds of shoulder damaging shells through it. Romeo 5 torqued at 22 inch lbs. Romeo still zero'ed. If you have never shot 3" magnum slugs through a KSG25 you may not grasp the full brunt of what I am getting at here.

Just sayin'.

PSA. Remember that torque values are given "Clean and dry", so if you put Loc-Tite on the screw before you torque it you should let that Loc-Tite dry. Otherwise the screw is no longer clean or dry. Or maybe back the torque value down 5-10%.

When removing screws that have been installed with Loc-Tite do yourself a favor and do not use cheap tips in a universal driver. Use actual hardened drivers of the correct size. Be sure it fits tightly and fully seat it in the screw. Still having a hard time getting the screw off ? Something to try before doing some stupid :poop:. Heat. Heat up a soldering iron and touch the tip of it to the screw for a minute. Or use a heat gun. Heat will liquify the Loc-tite.

And most importantly, Blue Loc-tite is excellent on fish and seafood.

I have been taking my good friends advice and use a proper torque driver rather than blue loctite on my optics. I’ve added quite a few optics lately as well as swapped a few around and I haven’t had any come loose to date.

PS - @Bassbob, I have an optic ready VP9 on the way.

I think I'm going to ditch the two-piece guide rod in the Prodigy Commander, and go with the spring plug and GI guide rod from 10-8 Performance.

For anyone who has already done this - any issues with it?

I think I'm going to ditch the two-piece guide rod in the Prodigy Commander, and go with the spring plug and GI guide rod from 10-8 Performance.

For anyone who has already done this - any issues with it?
I ran the 10-8 plug and rod and it looked great, but disassembling the gun can get a bit hairy if you don’t have the spring captured and you definitely have to have good technique and keep the spring from bowing as you put the gun back together. I now run the Dawson Precion one piece guide rod that keeps the whole thing captive and makes field stripping the Prodigy a breeze. I didn’t notice any difference in performance between either.

Dawson Precision.
3F71968B-78C3-4901-B4EA-524B4D15B678.jpeg

10-8
77672391-0D2A-469A-96D0-7F4D4E86AA8E.jpeg

I ran the 10-8 plug and rod and it looked great, but disassembling the gun can get a bit hairy if you don’t have the spring captured and you definitely have to have good technique and keep the spring from bowing as you put the gun back together. I now run the Dawson Precion one piece guide rod that keeps the whole thing captive and makes field stripping the Prodigy a breeze. I didn’t notice any difference in performance between either.

Dawson Precision.
View attachment 38274

10-8
View attachment 38275
WOW....look at all that fouling in your barrel.......
IMG_1676.gif

Last edited:
Back