testtest

Hex Wasp - Anyone’s randomly stop working?

I’m not trying to show any disrespect to anyone having issues with their Hex Red Dot but if you Google reviews on this brand 90% are not good.
I chose the Holosun 507C and it’s been working fine since install and has been rock solid during shooting.

I’m not trying to show any disrespect to anyone having issues with their Hex Red Dot but if you Google reviews on this brand 90% are not good.
I chose the Holosun 507C and it’s been working fine since install and has been rock solid during shooting.
Cant go wrong with that…I wanted to love the wasp (pref the look and serrations), but I too went with the HS… 507k in green.

I also note that the replacement dot seems brighter than the one that failed.
This is helpful in the bright sun here in the desert but...I can't see any dimming in lower light, at least I can't detect it with my poor eyes. It may not end well if the failure to dim was the problem.
Buggers.

After reading several comments about the Hex Wasp, I want one for my Hellcat, has Springfield made any improvement on the red dot sight? I really wanted one and really liked the co-witness of the Wasp. Is there another brand that works with the Hellcat?

At first the complaints about the sight going bad were rare. Testers all loved it. About last fall the failures started to increase. Something changed in the production of the sights. All SA has to do is get back to the Hex people and have them review the manufacturing process and parts suppliers.
One thing to consider is that very few people will bother to write up congratulatory reviews for a good working product, but every single failure will generate comments on forums and you tube, etc. The total number of failures would thus seem more serious.
Mine dims and brightens and has gone 6 months on its first battery now. And it does hold its zero, which surprised me the way that slide snaps with every shot fired.

After reading several comments about the Hex Wasp, I want one for my Hellcat, has Springfield made any improvement on the red dot sight? I really wanted one and really liked the co-witness of the Wasp. Is there another brand that works with the Hellcat?
Dan, the Shield SMSc is a direct fit to the Hellcat and provides 100% co-witness with the iron sights. I've had one on my Hellcat for a couple years now (close to it) and it's been flawless. Another that fits well is the JP Enterprises JPoint .... also provides for 100% co-witness and a little less then the Shield. You're already aware of the Hex Wasp which is the basis for this thread. So, there are some of the Wasp's they are having problems with. I've had one for more than a year but only installed the battery a couple months ago so I can't say much about the longevity, however it is still going strong. The Swampfox Sentinel is another that fits the Hellcat, but I can't personally say it offers the 100% co-witness. I think it does, but you'd need to check for yourself to be sure. And finally as far as I know the only other RDS that fits the Hellcat is the Trijicon RMRcc. I don't know anything about it except it was made especially for the micro handguns.

There may be others out there by now, but some will require a mounting plate to fit the Hellcat or require you to do a modification (grind a couple locating pins off) to the slide cutout on your gun. I can and will swear by the SMSc as I've used it pretty hard for the time I've had it on my Hellcat and as I said it's been flawless. I would also recommend your seriously considering the co-witness issue with some of the RDS's. On long guns it's often advisable to live with the lower 3rd witness, but the long gun is much easier to compensate for by simply tilting your head a little, which you can't do with the hand gun. So try it before you buy it is my suggestion. (y) (y)(y)

Another recent Wasp owner here with dead battery syndrome. Got mine late December 2021. Battery dead late Jan 2022. At Springfield now waiting on a replacement. Thinking I likely made a mistake here and bought a piece of junk. In addition to the battery issue, the windage adjustment screw on mine was crazy loose. I think I could have blown on it and it would have moved. I only had an opportunity to put 100 rounds through it after zero, and amazingly enough it held, but I think long term it was going to be a problem.

The Hex Wasp has some very similar design features to the Vector which is a really cheap piece of Chinese crap. My guess is the same company makes both the Vector and the Wasp. Springfield probably just had a few cosmetic changes (forward leaning hood, serrations), but the guts are likely the same. What I really wanted was the 507K, but do not want a plate, and do not want to modify my slide. For the life of me I cannot understand why Holosun chose to not make these fit the Hellcat without mods.

I don't have any confidence here that Springfield has fixed the Wasp issues. No evidence to support it, but just what my gut tells me.

Also see someone in another post saying the Trijicon RMRcc will fit the Hellcat. It will not without machining your slide or using a plate. It is significantly longer that others using the RMSc footprint.

At first the complaints about the sight going bad were rare. Testers all loved it. About last fall the failures started to increase. Something changed in the production of the sights. All SA has to do is get back to the Hex people and have them review the manufacturing process and parts suppliers.
One thing to consider is that very few people will bother to write up congratulatory reviews for a good working product, but every single failure will generate comments on forums and you tube, etc. The total number of failures would thus seem more serious.
Mine dims and brightens and has gone 6 months on its first battery now. And it does hold its zero, which surprised me the way that slide snaps with every shot fired.
I have to disagree on the testers loving the Hex Wasp as all the reviews I read 90% were negative. I’m not saying it’s a bad product but it has issues that need to be corrected.

Right on time. 4 weeks and the replacement wasp is still having problems with battery draining fast. Back to springfield it goes...
Yeah....I have this strange feeling that will be my experience. Springfield is saying nothing about this which seems odd. My guess is they have zero to do with the manufacturing. Some companies mfg in China, and some have product made in China where they have no involvement in the mfg process. These are 2 very different things. It is likely that Springfield is nothing more than one of a few customers for whatever Chinese company is making these red dots. Holosun is made in China, but I think the difference is they are a brand who is developing, designing, mfg, and promoting their product. Very different from a contract mfg.

It pains me to say it, but I think the Wasp is cheap garbage. Springfield probably has no input or involvement in the QC process. The only thing they can do is replace when they fail. Who knows how long it will take to get one that actually works.

Right on time. 4 weeks and the replacement wasp is still having problems with battery draining fast. Back to springfield it goes...
This is really disappointing to hear. I think some of us had hopes that it was just a flawed batch that were failing...but now we are hearing the reports of the replacements going bad as well.

It is past time for Springfield to step up and own this issue. Tell us what is going on and what we might expect in the future. WE all know that they monitor this forum and are having a very difficult time understanding why they do not respond with some guidance!

Update. Springfield replied to my email Monday and I shipped the red dot out Wednesday. A new one is on the way and should have it tomorrow (Friday). The lady I spoke with on the phone said some had a defect that was draining the battery and they'd get me a new one. I'm really impressed how fast and easy this was.
Update to the update...

I'm so frustrated with this junk. Not only did they send me one replacement they sent me 2 on the same day. I did the right thing and called them and sent it back. I shouldn't of. Apparently I picked the wrong one of the two. Exactly one month to the day my replacement is doing the same thing. Battery is dead. I'm losing a lot of respect for Springfield. May just sell the gun and get the Mako. It comes with a crimson trace.

Update to the update...

I'm so frustrated with this junk. Not only did they send me one replacement they sent me 2 on the same day. I did the right thing and called them and sent it back. I shouldn't of. Apparently I picked the wrong one of the two. Exactly one month to the day my replacement is doing the same thing. Battery is dead. I'm losing a lot of respect for Springfield. May just sell the gun and get the Mako. It comes with a crimson trace.
I would probably mill the slide for the holosun 507k at this point. I've seen youtube videos of it on the slide with no plate and it looks good. Most importantly, it works beyond 1 month and has a shake to wake function. Cowitness is good too when milled.

I would probably mill the slide for the holosun 507k at this point. I've seen youtube videos of it on the slide with no plate and it looks good. Most importantly, it works beyond 1 month and has a shake to wake function. Cowitness is good too when milled.
Thanks bud I just got on here to ask if there are any other red dots that will fit and cowitness.

Are there any that don't require milling the slide further?

Yep, bought my Hellcat about a month ago. Hex/Wasp battery is now dead. Thought they were supposed to last a year or so. I bought the gun with sight new but who knows how long the dealer had the gun. I'll take it off and put another battery in and see how long it takes that one to discharge.

Back