testtest

Is Bear Spray Better Than a Pistol?

Imagine if the bear winded you and recognized you as the threat! Now you got a pi**ed off wounded bear that has a few more breaths of air to let you know what he thinks of you!
Sounds like you did some good shoot'n though! 👍
If he had come towards me he would have had 6 300 grain Buffalo Bore slugs in him instead of 2. And ya never know I might had dirty shorts, I have a healthy respect for anything that can and will eat me if I screw up.

1674608001088.gif

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

I think the problem was that this was a French Canadian bear and it didn't understand English when she was pleading for it to stop destroying her kayak. 🤪

That had to be the most pitiful thing I've seen in a long time. You can hear how out of touch with reality this woman was trying to convince a bear to stop doing what it was doing like it would have a guilty conscience or something.

She should have removed herself from that situation as soon as the bear backed off from being sprayed. No kayak is worth your life. She's lucky the bear didn't turn on her.
I couldn't finish the video! It hurt my ears!

I shot a black bear with a .44 magnum. First shot it was a dead bear, but it did not know. It took off about as fast as anything I ever saw. Second shot anchored it but not before it went a good 20 yards. Not going out in grizzly country with any 10 mm or no .357 either, which are closer than either is to the .44 magnum. Not unless that's all I had then I would put Hayes suggestion into action.

I pepper sprayed myself once too and that stuff is dang effective it would stop me from doing anything. My wife had a can in the car in summer out in Arizona in the dash cubby. I opened the door, and got in just in time for it to pop and and get a face full. Nasty stuff.
I bet that glove box incident was unpleasant to say the least!

If he had come towards me he would have had 6 300 grain Buffalo Bore slugs in him instead of 2. And ya never know I might had dirty shorts, I have a healthy respect for anything that can and will eat me if I screw up.
Yes. I myself would have to say a .44RM with 300gr hard cast is the absolute minimum cartridge and load one should use as bear defense. Even for black bear. That's just my Opinion though.

I cant say it enough.
"BRING ENOUGH GUN"
Plus, I love saying it!🤷😉

It was recommended to me. By a friend in Juno, to carry a Lifeboat Flare. If a bear shows harmful intent, lite off the handheld Lifeboat Flair. This type of flare is tremendously bright and produces a lot of smoke. It terrifies a bear, and they cannot leave fast enough! The flares are rugged, waterproof, and easy to light and carry.

Take a lesson from law enforcement. Less than lethal force is always backed up with lethal force. Carry a firearm.

The 12Ga. shotgun loaded with a like round to the Remington Slugger, full power slug, is the ultimate handheld up-close game stopper.

Good video with lots of good info. It was said however that female Brown Bears are bigger than males. That in fact is incorrect. Male Brown Bears can be 50% heavier than females.

Hunters get chewed on every year during hunting season since the bears get into hyperphagia, and are out trying to fatten up as much as possible.

They've learn when they hear a gun shot that can be like a dinner bells so they bee-line towards the potential dead animal, then the hunter may have an close encounter. But bow hunters going for elk often run into trouble also.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Is Bear Spray Better Than a Pistol?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-bear-spray-better-than-a-pistol/.

I read the article and comments. You all appear to be experienced hunters and shooters. An informative article. I expect the average person encountering a bear would be better off with bear spray. Don’t think the average person or average experienced shooter is going to carry a .44 mag or 10mm. Can the average gun carrier go into a state or National park while armed? Does it require a ccw for the hand gun? How will a 9 mm, .38 or .45 handle a bear. Where would one aim on the bear? My guess is most people entering parks or live in areas visited by bears walk around with firearms. Bear spray may be more useful for the average person enjoying Teheran beauty of bear country.

I was born an raised in Alaska. Bears are a part of your environment when you do that.
There are a couple of things I think may be overlooked here.
If you’re using bear spray I’d suggest the sticky foam type that has less overspray. It’s draw back is it must be aimed somewhat better than liquid or mist sprays but can be overall more effective.
If being charged DONT SPARY AT THE BEAR!! SPRAY JUST IN FRONT OF IT AN LET IT RUN INTO THE PEPPER COMPOUND!!
I have carried a number of handguns over the years.
The 10mm is effective and a good choice. So, also, is the .454, .45LC, .41 Mag an .44 Mag..
I still on occasion pac my Blackhawk in .41. But mostly a 10mm these days. The .454 is just to heavy an bulky for me now!
Rifles of course are effective but may not be conducive to some activities .. such as fishing.
A short barreled 12ga with a combination of Buck-an-ball and heavy slugs is an old favorite and highly effective in a Bear encounter and easily fielded under nearly any situation.
It might also be noted here that there is a .. noticeable .. difference in SIZE, Disposition, Temperament, and interaction between bears found in the lower 48 and those in Alaska an Northern Canada. If you from the lower 48 and coming to Alaska to hunt you should consider those differences. There is a reason that in the north country that a great deal of the hunting is done with a .300WM or .338WM and not a .270. One might consider that too when thinking on such a hunt.
Anyway, it’s just one old Sourdough’s thoughts.

Good article, Mike. Thanks.

For me personally, I would prefer to carry .44 magnum in something like a Super Redhawk. I know you have fewer shots, but I prefer the reliability and being able to shoot without worrying about the slide being interfered with. But (and this is a big but), I don’t live in or visit griz country. Just black bears in this area.
Although the .44 Mag and it’s larger brethren the .454 are both suitable Bear calibers I’d suggest the .41 mag for consideration. It’s as effective, but lighter, sn easer to handle in a wheel gun platform.

I read the article and comments. You all appear to be experienced hunters and shooters. An informative article. I expect the average person encountering a bear would be better off with bear spray. Don’t think the average person or average experienced shooter is going to carry a .44 mag or 10mm. Can the average gun carrier go into a state or National park while armed? Does it require a ccw for the hand gun? How will a 9 mm, .38 or .45 handle a bear. Where would one aim on the bear? My guess is most people entering parks or live in areas visited by bears walk around with firearms. Bear spray may be more useful for the average person enjoying Teheran beauty of bear country.
9mm and .38 are more likely to simply wound and/or make the bear more aggressive than not!
A .45ACP with a proper loading has been know to be effective but I’d not field one unless that was my only choice for the same reasons as stated above.
I’m not sure what exactly the z definition of an “average shooter” is but I do know that a great many sportsman/women and outdoor end users who are shooters have a 10mm or .44 tucked away along with their Bear Spray!

When I ride my horse or 4-wheeler in Griz country of MT, I always carry. Sometimes I bring bear spray too. My sidearm is a Glock 10mm with 200gr hard-cast ammo. This bullet can penetrate bear hide and bone. Glocks are reliable- throw them in the mud and they still fire. If possible, I also bring a 12ga with 00buck or slugs. Grizzly bears are fast. If you have an encounter, the problem with using bear spray is you may not stay alive long enough to fire your gun too.

Walt
Harrison, MT

Back