testtest

M1A Hunting ammo

If the box says it's loaded to NATO-spec than you're GTG.
Thanks.

I will say I’ve focused on running the Sig 150G FMJ because it has cycled every time without issue, some of the heavier grain Ammo (165-180G) I tried when first shooting the gun failed (occasionally) to cycle completely.

None of the boxes of .308 ammunition I have says anything about NATO Spec

Here’s the ammunition warning I received with the manual for my James River Armory / Bula Defense M14 that was built off the original U.S. Army M14 blueprints. It looks like my SA NM M1A, but specifically called out the ammunition that is to be used. Photos of manual cover and ammunition warning page attached.

View attachment 30980View attachment 30981
Looks like JRA just went down a few notches in my book based on that pile of misinformation.

Lol they actually think there is a 12,000 psi difference in chamber pressure... Holy moly

As per HGs comment the pressure curve is what can affect the op rod. Too much pressure on the op rod (the weak link) can cause it to bend out of spec.

That will result in getting a new op rod, or sending it to the very few folks that know how to restore it to spec.

Getting a Schuster adjustable gas plug and tuning it to the desired non-mil spec ammo is a lot cheaper.

The same applies to the M1 Garand and Schuster makes a adjustable plug for it also.
More misinformation.....no modification is needed to shoot commercial ammo in garands.

More misinformation.....no modification is needed to shoot commercial ammo in garands.
Baloney.

Hotter than Milspec ammo (but still safe SAAMI .30-06 loads) can bend the operating rod if fired in a Garand with the stock gas system. Some people install an adjustable gas plug to mitigate this risk when firing commercial ammo.

The M1 Garand was desired to fire a standardized military loading, and it's gas system is tailored to that loading. Ammo marked "M1 Garand" operates at roughly the same pressure, which will keep it from damaging the rifle.

But, there ARE commercial target loads tailored to the Garand.

Last edited:
Baloney.

Hotter than Milspec ammo (but still safe SAAMI .30-06 loads) can bend the operating rod if fired in a Garand with the stock gas system. Some people install an adjustable gas plug to mitigate this risk when firing commercial ammo.

The M1 Garand was desired to fire a standardized military loading, and it's gas system is tailored to that loading. Ammo marked m1 Garand operates at roughly the same pressure, which will keep it from damaging the rifle.

But, there ARE commercial target loads tailored to the Garand.

Milspec and commercial are both SAAMI spec...

The garand was designed to fire a 174gr FMJ at 2700fps.

M2 ball is a 150gr fmj @ 2700fps
M72 match is a 173gr fmj @ 2700fps
Both loads use IMR 4895 which was designed specifically for the Garand in 1941.

M2 ball is a 150gr fmj @ 2700fps
M72 match is a 173gr fmj @ 2700fps
Both loads use IMR 4895 which was designed specifically for the Garand in 1941.
M2 ball is 2800 at the muzzle.

4895 wasn't designed for the garand at all and wasn't used in USGI ammo until around 1943 or so.

Prior to that it was IMR 1185 or 4676.

But M2 ball isn't relevant nor is 4895 when considering what is "safe".

So I’ve got some research to do on the .308 rounds I have in regards to pressure. The .308 ammunition I have is when I had the Savage AR10
Or, you can shop around for a used, in good condition Remington 700 in .308. That's the best way I know to use up extra ammo. Heck, you might even really like shooting a bolt-action rifle and acutually buy more .308 to shoot.

Hans and Talyn, I and other here certainly agree. This discussion comes around from time to time on almost every gun forum that I visit. I guess when the CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr there should be no question. However, some folks have their own opinions and any further discussion is like beating a dead horse:

1665965745866.png

Hans and Talyn, I and other here certainly agree. This discussion comes around from time to time on almost every gun forum that I visit. I guess when the CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr there should be no question. However, some folks have their own opinions and any further discussion is like beating a dead horse:

The simple answer is the CMP posts something very confusing and people loose their minds. The CMP should have never said what they said.

In essence it said pretty much all SAAMI spec ammo is fine and that you only have to worry about bullet weight if it exceeds SAAMI spec.

I don't work on opinions I work on facts. And prior to 2010 or so no one really cared about this because it had never been an issue ( and it still isn't).

Back