testtest

Off To The Doctor Today

So I had my appointment with the surgeon this morning and found out some very interesting information.
Based on the MRI I do have extensive arthritis in my left shoulder, I also have what the MRI shows is the result of a major tear in my rotator cuff that happened years ago, the proof being the tendons are no longer attached to where they should be and have shrunk away for where they would normally be attached and the subsequent muscle in the same area has diminished. The space from where the tendons and muscle was has been replaced by a fatty substance which not reversible.

I was given three options.

Physical therapy, no guarantee at diminishing the level of pain or increase in range of motion. Cortisone shots and pain meds.

Have surgery to attempt to repair what is showing to be un-repairable. Rehab from that surgery 6-8 months. No guarantee except the probability of redoing the surgery in 2-3 years.
Arthritis still present not fixable.

Surgery to replace the shoulder, as it is now the ball of the shoulder joint is at the top of the upper arm bone, the cup is above that, the replacement would be the cup would be attached to the upper arm and the ball would now be attached to the upper shoulder.
Recovery time two months.
Significant decrease/eliminate the current pain and increased range of motion.
Elimination of current arthritis.
One and done.

Decision. #3
Kind of a no brainer.
Keystone, I was reading about your health adventure, and sure wish you the best that #3 does the trick.
let us know your thoughts once you recover. Good luck!

Update, I was told by the surgeon on Wednesday that the surgery was to be scheduled for June, now they want to schedule it for May 19th!!
I had decided to go with it but I thought I had time to plan.
frankly my BIL's is for the end of April.

i had wished it would have been sooner. so he could hurry the hell up and heal, and get back to work.....

he's driving my sister (his wife) nutsy-cuckoo being home.

i told her, "this is a preview, for when he retires, YOU either need to get a part time job, just to get away from him, or you have to ORDER him when he retires, to go and get a job to stay away for a few hours a day".

so be glad they bumped up your operation.

you don't need to plan....you just need to show up, get injected with happy juice, fall asleep, wake up all refreshed and happy, and go "ouch-ouch" for a few days.

otherwise, a petition will have to be circulated for you to turn in your "man-card"....

For the last couple weeks I’ve been dealing with some intense left shoulder pain, the worst of it is when I’m trying to sleep. Although I do have some tests coming up including some imaging and then an MRI however following the initial doctors visit its looking like I have arthritis that is significantly damaging the bones in my left shoulder. I’m glad I’m right hand/arm dominate.
Tomorrow I’m off to get my hearing tested and will most likely end up with hearing aids. It’s getting interesting getting old.
Gittin old ain't for Sissy's.Sounds like you might have some rotor cuff damage goin on. Good luck !

You should get it done before it gets any worse for you, sooner the better
Yeah I made that decision very quickly and although I’m fairly nervous about having my shoulder replaced I’ve done my research and found no (con’s) to the procedure and if it eliminates the discomfort and pain over time and improves my quality of life then I’m all for it.

I am surprised to find out that following the surgery if there are no complications I’ll be released from the hospital the same day.

Been there, done that. My surgeon was an expert in arthroscopic surgery. He said "in and out in hour an a half". 3.7 hours later I'm in recovery. (Doc said "much more work then x-rays showed".) I went home on happy pills.i digress. Side bar....my son in law is a physical therapist. When I opened the front door there was a beautiful recliner there.....i asked "what's this", he replied, your gonna need this. I said no way, I'll be fine. Boy was I wrong ! I could not lie down in bed for weeks, no position on the coach helped. That recliner is still my best get a way 8 years later. I hope you find this helpful.

Been there, done that. My surgeon was an expert in arthroscopic surgery. He said "in and out in hour an a half". 3.7 hours later I'm in recovery. (Doc said "much more work then x-rays showed".) I went home on happy pills.i digress. Side bar....my son in law is a physical therapist. When I opened the front door there was a beautiful recliner there.....i asked "what's this", he replied, your gonna need this. I said no way, I'll be fine. Boy was I wrong ! I could not lie down in bed for weeks, no position on the coach helped. That recliner is still my best get a way 8 years later. I hope you find this helpful.
Well if I was going in for a “repair” I get the outpatient but I’m having my shoulder bones “replaced” big difference.

Well if I was going in for a “repair” I get the outpatient but I’m having my shoulder bones “replaced” big difference.
i really don't recall reading about the actual bones being replaced????? how far back (posting #) was that..????

now i can "see" why my jackhammer posting, that was done in jest, was removed....i had no idea, seriously, i didn't..

sheesh......i lost track of what was going to be really taking place, over my BIL's "simple" to yours surgery..

good luck.

All surgeries suck, and there is no such thing as a routine surgery IMHO.

You have to deal with the doctor's appointment, imaging, consultation, pre-op screening, admission process, surgery prep, surgery, recovery, and physical therapy.

All surgeries suck, and there is no such thing as a routine surgery IMHO.

You have to deal with the doctor's appointment, imaging, consultation, pre-op screening, admission process, surgery prep, surgery, recovery, and physical therapy.
I’ve had one major surgery when I was in my late 20’s spent a week in the ICU in case of infection. I won’t go into detail. This will be a big one this late in life. The only broken bone I’ve had was my right big toe. Now I’m having some of my bones cut off and my whole shoulder assembly replaced. 😳

I’ve had one major surgery when I was in my late 20’s spent a week in the ICU in case of infection. I won’t go into detail. This will be a big one this late in life. The only broken bone I’ve had was my right big toe. Now I’m having some of my bones cut off and my whole shoulder assembly replaced. 😳
You’ll be fine there goose, don’t sweat it, it will go smooth for you and you will feel better once it’s all healed up,

I’m looking forward to no constant pain and be able to sleep at night.
To everyone thank you for all your well wishes and I apologize if I’m talking like I’m the only one to have a joint replacement with knees and hips being done for years now.
For now I’m confident and relaxed let’s see when the day gets closer. 🫣

I had one surgery about the age of 57 on my knee. I was chasing the new pup around and rip my knee a good one they went in and sewed all the lingaments back together they did a great job after PT I was fine in fact the same year I was hiking In Italy. To this day I walk every day no pain thank god so keystone you will be just like new

Thanks Annihilator, I can’t help but think all those years and miles riding motorcycles have put a hurting on my body.
Agree. Many thousands of miles on my bike before I had to stop riding. Not exercising properly + miles = some not nice upper back problems for me. Especially my right shoulder. It likes to click a lot too but that’s more an annoyance. The pain for me is in a stripe all the way across my upper back. I did a lot of therapy when I first got it looked at but slacked off and some of that pain returned.
Wishing you the best in your journey.

Agree. Many thousands of miles on my bike before I had to stop riding. Not exercising properly + miles = some not nice upper back problems for me. Especially my right shoulder. It likes to click a lot too but that’s more an annoyance. The pain for me is in a stripe all the way across my upper back. I did a lot of therapy when I first got it looked at but slacked off and some of that pain returned.
Wishing you the best in your journey.
Although a journey I’m not excited about it’s one I can’t ignore. I do have a hard time understanding that until about 8 months ago I had no indication that my left shoulder was in such bad shape and until the surgeon showed me the MRI results I had no idea how bad.
I’m confident I’ll get fixed up and in general have a better quality of life after the surgery, it’s something I have to go into with eyes wide open.

Back