testtest

What knives do you daily carry?

0B004B4C-6744-438F-9308-5C83C6694711.jpeg
CRKT , Drifter.

In my traveling days of one way deliveries ( overnight to several overnights then return by air ) and considering DOT and TSA not allowing firearms or knives, I solved the problem this way and it allowed me to have a sort of weapon on me most of the time: At the start of each trip I would go to Walmart and ( for .88 cents! can you believe that? not the best and not the worst eight inch blade kitchen knife with a plastic sheath; a fair finely serrated blade with bonded composition handle manufactured in China, with shipping, distribution and retailed at 88 cents and profit for all)? Before entering the airports for return flight I'd find and donate the piece to an appropriate cause and repeat the process on the next dispatch.

Necessity has no law. Anonymous
Now that is a great idea!
Thanks

View attachment 231Here is a photo of a blade I made years ago to compliment my black powder .54 caliber flintlock rifle, I made it from a file, deer horn and melted pewter. The smokeable peace pipe tomahawk Head was made for me by Alan longmire, I aged the head and made a tiger maple hollow handle and copper lined it. A friend suggested I show some bigger knives.
really nice hawk and knife.

When my older brother passed away many years ago I found this knife in his possessions. Until then I never carried a knife but now I have this little one in my pocket.
IMG_0976_1.jpg

When I fly I always have to remember to leave it at home. Many years ago I had TSA confiscate a souvenir nail clipper that I cherished.

It took six cows to make that scabbard!
In my misspent youth, I shopped and shopped for a Cold Steel Trailmaster I had seen in Jackson, WY. Eventually, on another vacation, I went into that same knife shop, the price was the same and I bought it.
It is a very nice knife but heavy and long for carry on the belt.

On another vacation, we were sitting around the campfire in the Cascade mountains and I was pulling the grandkids' chains about bears and cougars and such. I went into the camper and put on that knife. Went back out and sat down by the fire where I had been and pulled it out to test the edge with my thumb.

The oldest went stomping into the weeds and came back with a largish stick.
Before the night was out, everyone was dragging a spear around the camp!
True story...my wife and I laugh about it all these years later.
I pity the idiot varmint that would have been stupid enough to wander through our camp.
They would have wound up full of holes and on a spit.

Last edited:
My truck is equipped at all times with extra knives, a manchette (I love manchettes), a hatchet, a Soviet Spetznaz shovel, and a SOG Tactical Tomahawk. I do not really understand the "Tactical" part unless it is related to the edge geometry.
The hawk is really not too good for chopping wood. It is too knife-like and fails to chip like the hatchet. Perhaps that is where the "tactical" part of the description comes from?
The original tomahawk was designed to be a survival tool as well as a weapon.

Just because I believe one can't be too prepared, I have a Cold Steel Boar Spear resting next to the back door of the house. My Chief Financial Officer refuses to let it stay by the front door so I'll just have to grab it on the way to bugging out.

As an aside, the hickory haft is fairly large and is really too heavy for extended use unless one has good upper body strength.
I like it, though!

My edc knife is a 'Swiss Army' knife. Apparently Swiss made (ROSTFREL}. 2" blade, corkscrew, scissors, nail file, bottle opener/screw driver, Philips screw driver, can opener.

Back