testtest

Manual Safety or Not: Too Dangerous To Carry?

NOT EXACTLY TRUE! The trigger movement doesn't push and pull the striker. When the slide moves rearward (as in charging) the striker/firing pin is blocked/held in place until the disconnect pushes up to release it. Although the striker/firing pin isn't under spring pressure it does need a slap on the back ;) to fire. Glock (can't state as what others have) has the spring in front of the striker/firing pin so the only way (other than visually checking the chamber) to know if a round is chambered is the extractor position. Some others have (like xdm models) an indicator on top by the hood, hole at the top rear of the hood (s&w) or a hole in the plate at the back of the slide.
With a Glock it is. On a Glock the trigger cocks/compresses and then releases the striker as the striker is at a forward position where most other makes its cocked. unless I am misreading your post

energizerthread1-2470565131.jpg

My son has a Gen 5 Glock 19 that is banned in California, where he is stationed, so he leaves it with me in my safe. He put a timney trigger in it that converts it to single action. That is the only glock I have access to, and I can't use it as a reference since its an aftermarket SA trigger action.

What I have heard the Glock "Safe Action" described as;
Cycling the slide cocks the striker to a half-cocked position
Pulling the trigger cocks it the rest of the way and releases it

If the striker is all the way forward, the trigger will not catch it and cock it, you have to cycle the slide to put it into the half-cocked position by cycling the slide.

Technically that is a double action, but yes if you do not understand what is going on internally, you would deduce it is Single Action with a heavier and longer trigger pull than most SA pistols.

Glock called is Safe Action because it was not exactly like your typical DA and there also would be a bias against DA because of the long heavy trigger pull.

My son has a Gen 5 Glock 19 that is banned in California, where he is stationed, so he leaves it with me in my safe. He put a timney trigger in it that converts it to single action. That is the only glock I have access to, and I can't use it as a reference since its an aftermarket SA trigger action.

If the striker is all the way forward, the trigger will not catch it and cock it, you have to cycle the slide to put it into the half-cocked position by cycling the slide.

Technically that is a double action, but yes if you do not understand what is going on internally, you would deduce it is Single Action with a heavier and longer trigger pull than most SA pistols.

Glock called is Safe Action because it was not exactly like your typical DA and there also would be a bias against DA because of the long heavy trigger pull.
If a gen5 trigger is like a gen4 you can push the trigger forward to reset it. Cycling the slide does the same thing. Striker spring is in front of the striker so there's no preloaded pressure.

Make sure the mag is out and nothing in the chamber. You can also remove the barrel and spring, put the slide back on and hold it in place where it would be if it were a complete assembly. Turn upside down, look thru the magwell and pull the trigger. You can the action/process. Trigger bar as it moves as well as most of the firing components as well as the striker as it would hit the primer

Was a Gen 3 Glock armorer years ago for my sheriffs dept and the safe action was never referred to as a double action, just sayin

If a gen5 trigger is like a gen4 you can push the trigger forward to reset it. Cycling the slide does the same thing. Striker spring is in front of the striker so there's no preloaded pressure.
If my son had not put a Timney Trigger kit in his G19, that turned it in an earnest single action, I would have it out of my safe and checking that. I never knew that and would love to test it and see it in action, BUT, I simply don't have an Glocks of my own, and my son's is no longer the Glock "safe action".
Was a Gen 3 Glock armorer years ago for my sheriffs dept and the safe action was never referred to as a double action, just sayin
Funny, discussing this with someone on another forum, I said it was a Hybrid Action because of the contradictions, and a mix of characteristics of both SA and DA, acts like single action, but what it is really doing is double action. I had a well informed Glock fan insist it is double action, because it meets the technical definition of DA, there is nothing Hybrid about it.

Can't win for loosing, but you should go on a Jeep forum and discuss 4 wheel drive terms and people with their own definitions and standards and then marketing terms that stretch the truth etc..... ....Manufacturers claim the weakest on road only AWD is 4WD, then you have Jeep fanboys insisting any system anything less the Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 Part Time transfer cases with no differential and locking front/rear differentials is NOT 4WD. 🤦‍♂️ Meanwhile, I'm trying to explain its suspension that gives an off road vehicle its true off-road ability, and all I get is blank stares.:cautious:

If my son had not put a Timney Trigger kit in his G19, that turned it in an earnest single action, I would have it out of my safe and checking that. I never knew that and would love to test it and see it in action, BUT, I simply don't have an Glocks of my own, and my son's is no longer the Glock "safe action".

Funny, discussing this with someone on another forum, I said it was a Hybrid Action because of the contradictions, and a mix of characteristics of both SA and DA, acts like single action, but what it is really doing is double action. I had a well informed Glock fan insist it is double action, because it meets the technical definition of DA, there is nothing Hybrid about it.

Can't win for loosing, but you should go on a Jeep forum and discuss 4 wheel drive terms and people with their own definitions and standards and then marketing terms that stretch the truth etc..... ....Manufacturers claim the weakest on road only AWD is 4WD, then you have Jeep fanboys insisting any system anything less the Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 Part Time transfer cases with no differential and locking front/rear differentials is NOT 4WD. 🤦‍♂️ Meanwhile, I'm trying to explain its suspension that gives an off road vehicle its true off-road ability, and all I get is blank stares.:cautious:
My wife had a 2010 Jeep Patriot 4wd/AWD…….it was FWD all the time till it detected front wheel slippage then it would automatically go into AWD….. if you wanted the true 4wd you had to lock it in. The system it had was a magnetically coupler type, not very dependable and very expensive to maintain, didn’t keep it long

My wife had a 2010 Jeep Patriot 4wd/AWD…….it was FWD all the time till it detected front wheel slippage then it would automatically go into AWD….. if you wanted the true 4wd you had to lock it in. The system it had was a magnetically coupler type, not very dependable and very expensive to maintain, didn’t keep it long
The shenanigans as Daimler and Fiat in charge lead to the massive qualities issues. I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee, that as soon as fix one thing the next thing breaks a week later.

Its still suspension, that puts even pressure (traction) on each tire and has the necessary travel to go over uneven terrain maintaining that even pressure on all the tires that give it off-road ability. 4WD systems certainly are important, but the best 4WD system can't do anything if you have tires off the ground or all the pressure on some tires and none on the others. That was the problem with later Jeeps, as well as regulation, media, lawsuits and customers that pushed Jeep into making models more car like for the road, but the Patriot was a car platform that they did their best to increase but they only had so much they can do. But, the did keep the Wrangler dedicated to a true off-road vehicle, but notice what happen to the price to be able to meet all the regulation and still keep that off-road ability.

The shenanigans as Daimler and Fiat in charge lead to the massive qualities issues. I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee, that as soon as fix one thing the next thing breaks a week later.

Its still suspension, that puts even pressure (traction) on each tire and has the necessary travel to go over uneven terrain maintaining that even pressure on all the tires that give it off-road ability. 4WD systems certainly are important, but the best 4WD system can't do anything if you have tires off the ground or all the pressure on some tires and none on the others. That was the problem with later Jeeps, as well as regulation, media, lawsuits and customers that pushed Jeep into making models more car like for the road, but the Patriot was a car platform that they did their best to increase but they only had so much they can do. But, the did keep the Wrangler dedicated to a true off-road vehicle, but notice what happen to the price to be able to meet all the regulation and still keep that off-road ability.
The Patriot and Compass were based on the ill fated Dodge Caliber platform, which at one time it also had the option of AWD

Sorry OP….went off topic

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Manual Safety or Not: Too Dangerous To Carry?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/manual-safety-or-not/.

I carry both, passive and manual safeties. However, the one passive safety I have not been able to use are the 1911 style grip safeties. I have less than 100% trigger release when firing them. The relationship and the mechanics of my hand, the grip, and the safety doesn’t engage (disengage) the safety every time.

No matter the safety, I am the responsible for the use of the firearm, and I want it to fire every time I pull the trigger.

Back